Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best dealer for service in NC

Old 06-20-2018, 03:47 PM
cliffd
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leith

Have had Leith servicing my cars, currently 991 Turbo, for the last 10 years, excellent service managers and great techs. They will let you watch the work being done on your car. Recently had an aftermarket exhaust and IPD plenum and y pipe installed and videoed the process. Suggest you ask for Chris Cosh, service writer, and Mark Boulton, tech. Fantastic service and relatively reasonable price. and i do not work there, just in case.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:38 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Got the car back today. They fixed it by removing some interior trim to diagnose. They first thought was the rear driver's side window, but then concluded it was the strut mount (or rather rubber pieces on top of the shock).

Here are some notes about the experience:
- Mike (service manager) was accommodating and friendly enough. I think the original suspension squeak is gone.
- I had to call them to get an update more than I'd liked. The nature of my work involves 'great communication' and perhaps I'm expecting too much from a car dealership.
- I requested that they notify me before disassembling anything, but when I called they had already took it apart. I suppose it was required, but I asked for a heads up. Good thing is they only took off what needed to come off.
- One SA was friendly (I think he's newer), but the other (more experienced I think) SA not so much (on edge and almost kinda ready to bark).
- Parts arrived later than expected, delaying the fix, however they were willing to finish it on a Saturday (my understanding is they have limited small crew then). They replaced all the rubber parts above the shock just to be sure.
- I asked what had to be dissembled to fix the suspension and was told that only the shock comes out. However I don't think this is accurate, also considering they had to an alignment.
- Car was re-assembled fine, but the side trim has obvious 'marks' on it... I think it rattles/creak a little too. Will need do more testing and might request new part if its too bad.
- Small tiny dent in the rear fender around where the work/ troubleshooting was done (of course...). Will need to get paintless dent removal to fix it and request them to cover cost.
- Door handle has deep scratches on top? Not sure about this yet and perhaps it can be fixed via detail. Do they seriously open cars while holding the key or a tool in the same hand? There's no way a hand would leave those marks.
- Missing 1/4 a gas tank (~100 miles at 25 MG, or ~50 miles at ~12 MPG). Seems like a lot of miles to be driving to troubleshoot something that is easily repo'd on a parking lot?
- I requested no cleaning or wash, but am puzzled how did grass clippings get into the rear seat floor (mats and around)?

They got the job done, but I'm not impressed. I don't feel like they treated it like a 150k car. Maybe I'm asking too much or too perfectionist.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:55 PM
MarkG123
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Use Hendrick Porsche, Charlotte. They have a very good service dept. It is also new.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:51 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffd
Have had Leith servicing my cars, currently 991 Turbo, for the last 10 years, excellent service managers and great techs. They will let you watch the work being done on your car. Recently had an aftermarket exhaust and IPD plenum and y pipe installed and videoed the process. Suggest you ask for Chris Cosh, service writer, and Mark Boulton, tech. Fantastic service and relatively reasonable price. and i do not work there, just in case.
Do you mean Chris Cossey, service writer?
Old 07-01-2018, 11:42 AM
osbjmg
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I am considering doing regular maintenance at an independent dealer and shop (beyond oil changes and simple stuff) in Cary -- Taggart. I know they go above and beyond on the sales side, and I have had them do some work on my truck and loved the communication and attention to detail.

40k service on my C2S is quoted to be $400 less than Leith. I like the Leith people generally (sales and parts), and have not yet dealt much with the service side besides having a one good interaction where they looked at my door panels and agreed immediately that they are in need of replacement (adhesive problem, curling up by the window).

I guess I'll let you know how it goes after I get this done, but not sure if you were considering anyone outside of that list.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:25 PM
minthral
Pro

I have considered an Indy shop near Chapel Hill called Automotive Solutions. Very high quality work from owner and at a reasonable price. He works on my last boxster and VW golf... never a problem and highly recommended. I may end up getting maintenance done there.

The tiny dents and scratches on the door handle left a scar on my willingness to go back to Leith. I've experienced similar before at a different dealer and should have known better...what am I supposed to do put sticky notes on fenders stating 'DO NOT LEAN' ??? Techs often don't care about cosmetics apparently. They definitely fixed the strut squeak though and I don't hear any significant rattles from the trim. The marks on it have 'improved' after being parked in hot sun....marks on leather seems to flex/relax. I'm sure if there were other failures they'd fix it up fine...possibly with some dings though. Good news is I know great paintless dent remover that I'm confident that can fix it. The door handle I may have to live with...how great is it to know every time I open the car to be reminded of the mark on it? Surely a dealer would think customer care about this kinda stuff?

The problem is this car has CPO warranty, so I don't want to run into a situation where I have to fight for repairs because it wasn't serviced at a dealer. I know its illegal to get warranty claims denied due to not being serviced at dealer, but in practice I have found that one person can't fight a dealer or PCNA and win. Paying a lawyer to fight for anything short of engine failure is not worth it.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:15 AM
osbjmg
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Ouch, yea it is a pickle. I hate to be that pedantic person that gives people crap. It is not too much to ask, to expect service not to damage your car. I have definitely learned that a significant amount of the population need to be constantly in touch to stay on top of their task.

It is sad that we have to keep such a close eye on things that should be very rare. I hear you about CPO and trying to walk the line of what is allowed vs. what will start the least drama in the event of an issue.

I suppose we are left with taking pictures ahead of any service just in case or something. That or finding a dealer that is dependable to do the right thing.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:32 AM
minthral
Pro

I actually took a 4k closeup video of the car prior to taking it in and checked it. It clearly shows the dents were not there. The door handle is captured, but wasn't at the right angle to where the new the scratch is on the top part. I should have taken a slower and closeup of the rear fender and general area I knew they'd work on.

I'm going to call the service manager to discuss three concerns:

- Scratch on driver's side door handle.
- Several small dents on driver's side rear fender.
- Rear seat interior trim loose and not lining up tightly with weather seal (as compared to before replacement and the never touched passenger side), which is visible and obvious when getting to the car. The panel is kind of dinged up a little and makes a tiny amount of noise going down rough roads.

Original problem is definitely fixed. There are no rattles/chirps/creaks/squeaks that concerns me.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:36 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
I actually took a 4k closeup video of the car prior to taking it in and checked it. It clearly shows the dents were not there. The door handle is captured, but wasn't at the right angle to where the new the scratch is on the top part. I should have taken a slower and closeup of the rear fender and general area I knew they'd work on.

I'm going to call the service manager to discuss three concerns:

- Scratch on driver's side door handle.
- Several small dents on driver's side rear fender.
- Rear seat interior trim loose and not lining up tightly with weather seal (as compared to before replacement and the never touched passenger side), which is visible and obvious when getting to the car. The panel is kind of dinged up a little and makes a tiny amount of noise going down rough roads.

Original problem is definitely fixed. There are no rattles/chirps/creaks/squeaks that concerns me.

Why don't you post before/after pictures here??

That's a lot of accusations.

Last edited by STG; 07-02-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:46 AM
minthral
Pro

Not sure if this will work because forums don't let you upload large files. Here is video of a dent:

https://www.icloud.com/attachment/?u...OV&sz=39906111

Untouched passenger panel:

https://www.icloud.com/attachment/?u...OV&sz=22602650

Having trouble getting apple mail drop to work for the loose panel after work. File too large to upload here.

Used upload tool for images so hopefully the show up.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:50 AM
minthral
Pro

Old 07-02-2018, 01:01 PM
minthral
Pro

Spoke to service manager and he was accommodating about reviewing this and getting fixes. I'll stop by there in a week or so.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:28 PM
cliffd
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Do you mean Chris Cossey, service writer?
yes i did, my mistake
Old 07-02-2018, 07:49 PM
stevewilm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Highly recommend Leith. I live in Wilmington (where the old Fayetteville dealer is now located) but went to Leith to install a X51 power kit and fix a squeak that my dealer here couldn't find. I worked with Chris, who was a pleasure.Chris Cossey
Service Advisor and Porsche Globally Certified Brand Ambassador
Leith Porsche
(919) 469-2699
chris.cossey@leithcars.com
Old 07-03-2018, 03:34 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had service done at Leith in Cary. To the comment "don't they care that it's a 150K car?" No. It's just another car, let me get this done ASAP since I'm working book rates and I'm only getting paid for an hour even though I've already got 90 minutes in it...

That said, overall, I've been satisfied with their service, both the Porsche and BMW shop. Audi, eh, not so much.

With my own personal experience screaming, venting, ranting and raving at SAs over the years at various dealerships, honestly, now, I'm amazed that they are as civil and as patient as they are, considering all of the crap that they must go through every day. I could never do it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best dealer for service in NC