Damn Black GTS wheels ( Dirty )

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 05:31 PM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Reviving old thread with an update.

So washed my wheels after about 1500 miles. Wheels were dirty, but definitely not as dirty as in the past putting on the same amount of miles. As a reminder, I sprayed Amorall on the driver side wheels and Dr Beasley on the passenger side wheels. Both did a decent job of keeping off brake dust - and I think I give a slight edge to Dr Beasley. Except for an unsightly drip mark on my center lock (probably from gong through puddles) Dr Beasley seems to work a bit better in keeping off brake dust, cleaning off a little better, and looking a little better after cleaning. It was close though. Both washed off very easily - I probably could have just cleaned off the dust with a water hose, but chose to use Sonax. Overall, very pleased with both. Next test is going to be using Beasley on the fronts and Amorall on the rears, then after that, Beasley on rears and Amorall on the fronts.
Thanks for the report. Be careful with the Sonax around your centerlock nuts - there have been reports that it can discolor the aluminum.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:59 PM
MDelaney
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 18 Posts

I've had pretty good results using the wheel/rim products from Swissvax - specifically their Wheel Wax. Their wheel cleaner is good. Once the wheels are cleaned - an application of their wheel wax makes the brake dust spray off for months. Many of their car waxes are ungodly expensive, but the wheel products are not too expensive. It was a bit of a pain to wax every surface/nook/cranny of the RS Spyder 20"s but, now I can just spray the brake dust off.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:05 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,117 Likes on 666 Posts

Thanks DoubleDare - yeah, I am careful with the cleaner on the wheels, I never spray on or near the nuts and use plenty of water to rinse off any residual. Though I am careful, I use Sonax because it is acid free and pH balanced. It also says it is aluminum safe. Just hype?
Old 08-17-2018, 11:53 AM
Werks 1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

THATS WHY I ORDERED CXX TURBO S WHEELS........ LOL

The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (04-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2018, 12:06 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

I chose the Satin Black wheels ( 5 lug) for my GTS Targa and looks were, and are, most important to me...silver or anything other than black for me won't cut it, especially so many spokes.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:55 AM
GKGEIGER
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts

So, who drives their car with dirty black wheels? I'm in FL. so I can drive my car every day if I want, but I'm tired of washing it every time I drive it. I'm **** about driving a dirty car. Well, not my DD.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:35 PM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I've found the Dr. Beasley's Matte Paint Coating helps the black wheels a lot. They don't get nearly as dirty as before and they're much easier to wash once they do.

I'm down to washing the wheels once every two or three weeks.

Still rather not drive with very dirty wheels.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:49 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Mine seem to stay pretty clean. Just a little soap and water and they clean up nicely. Over 4,200 miles so far - cannot wait for the weather to warm back up, though!
Old 01-19-2019, 12:54 PM
Porsch
Banned

Received 250 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottykenneth
These damn Black GTS centerlocks are suchhh a pain in the *** to keep clean.
Originally Posted by Stevelev
Similar boat for me … with the RS Spyder wheels that are a PITA to clean.
Another reason I love my PCCB's. It's not your wheels that are the problem, it's brake dust.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:42 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Mine seem to stay pretty clean. Just a little soap and water and they clean up nicely. Over 4,200 miles so far - cannot wait for the weather to warm back up, though!
What year and model is yours? Are those the original P Zero tires?
Old 01-19-2019, 02:15 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,117 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleDare
I've found the Dr. Beasley's Matte Paint Coating helps the black wheels a lot. They don't get nearly as dirty as before and they're much easier to wash once they do.

I'm down to washing the wheels once every two or three weeks.

Still rather not drive with very dirty wheels.

I concur, the Beasley formula does help and makes washing a lot easier. All you have to do really is rinse wheels clean.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:37 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F

What year and model is yours? Are those the original P Zero tires?
2018 911 GTS, original OEM P Zeros.

Old 04-18-2020, 04:53 AM
GBGT
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old thread but I was perplexed by the brown "rust" stains that develop overtime on the GTS wheels. Nothing would touch it until I tried Carpro Iron X. One application and the wheels looked like new.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:33 AM
911Monte
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

One thing I do which helps get rid of wet rust sling all over the barrel and rust brake dust all over a freshly washed wheel is to blow out the brakes. After cleaning and rinsing each wheel before moving to the next I’ll take my blower and dry off the rotors and blow out most the water from the inside wheel area. The rotors won’t really get wet again while washing the body, but after finishing the body I’ll go around and do all 4 wheels again just in case.

Now I only get normal brake dust over time as opposed to a glaze of brown rust dust covering the wheels after the first time I drive it after a wash.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:46 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by GBGT
Old thread but I was perplexed by the brown "rust" stains that develop overtime on the GTS wheels. Nothing would touch it until I tried Carpro Iron X. One application and the wheels looked like new.
Until you get back from the next ride!

Quick Reply: Damn Black GTS wheels ( Dirty )