991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn Black GTS wheels ( Dirty )

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 10:16 PM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I know the pain! Silver is even worse than black, which is why I went with a matte gunmetal. They seem to never look dirty.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:05 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Get silver wheels and PCCB next time. Problem solved.
^^. PCCB’s solve the dust problem. I have matte black Forgeline’s on my GTS, and with PCCB’s they stay pretty clean. Plus no rust spray on the wheel barrel. Nothing would pi** me off more than spending a few hours detailing the car and then go for a ride after, and then have the steel rotors sling rusty water on the wheel barrels. That’s not a problem any longer with the PCCB’s.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:18 AM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 199 Posts

GTS wheels are fine, I clean them when I can but I am too busy driving to notice, maybe you should do the same
Old 06-16-2018, 05:51 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

Well, the dirt is one thing but the squealing from the dust is another....
Old 06-16-2018, 07:58 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 97 Posts

While it is tough to add on PCCB's again a strong reason for the option. Life is too short to spends hours on cleaning wheels and then drive to the 7/11 and start over. Good air blowers and a quick drive around the block will impact the brown rust dust significantly
Old 06-16-2018, 08:58 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

I'll try the air blower -

Honestly I've been detailing cars as a hobby my whole life and the matte wheels really are brutal. I have the car ceramic coated and use a three bucket method. On a typical wash session of say 75 minutes from start to finish, 25 is spent on the wheels. All the iron-out based cleaners give me respiratory problems. I use P21S Wheel Gel, but honestly the Kranzle pressure washer does help, and yes the wheels are coated too.

Speaking of coatings, I had this car done with Ceramic Pro (which is ubiquitous) as opposed to CarPro, which hand picks it's authorized installers, and I have to say the Ceramic Pro from a gloss and durability standpoint is excellent.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:24 PM
Soapman72
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ceramic coat them. Total game changer. Between that and the PCCBs dust just rinses off. If I foam them down I don't even need the wheel woolies, but I usually use them because OCD. ������
Old 06-16-2018, 07:16 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

I just tested out Armor All Outlast on driver side wheels and Dr. Beasley Matte Wheel Seal on the passenger side wheels. After a spirited a 170 mile drive I was surprised to see that both products did a good job. Could see no real brake dust on either side. The Armor All was super easy to apply - just spray it on. The Beasley was a bit more time consuming - you have to spray it on, allow it to sit and then wipe it off. Overall, was impressed by both, but the Beasley side wheels look better. Also, you have to be real careful with the Armor All. You are supposed to spray it on and let it sit for an hour and not touch it. When I went to check the wheels after an hour or so, the spray pooled up in some areas and also left white run stains on the black wheels. Easy enough to wipe off clean, and there does not appear an easy way around it. Next test is to see how long they both last.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:53 PM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

^ great to know. i have read that the Beasley matte wheel seal is to be sprayed on a towel and then applied to the wheel (as opposed to spraying it on).

thanks for your notes!
Old 06-16-2018, 08:00 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by oalvarez
^ great to know. i have read that the Beasley matte wheel seal is to be sprayed on a towel and then applied to the wheel (as opposed to spraying it on).

thanks for your notes!
Yeah, there were differing methods of application - the video on their website showed spraying on, waiting 5-7 minutes, and then wiping off. The directions on the bottle however said to spray on a towel and wipe on. I wanted to get as much coverage as possible, so I sprayed on. Maybe on next application, I will use the towel method. Pretty happy with how the wheels look with it on and how clean the wheels are so far.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:44 AM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 195 Posts

Thanks guys. Ill try some options listed above.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:26 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

I know this sounds really funny but it’s works a charm on my wheels.

I live in an an apartment with indoor parking so I quick spray and wipe down the car far more than a full wash with soap and water.

For my GTS wheels, I first use quick detail spray and microfiber towel to wipe the wheels clean. Then I use armorall tire cleaner, not only on the side walls, but I use it to wipe down the entire wheel. It’s surprisingly good at keeping the wheel black with a nice even sheen. Then I have a dedicated non-greasy car duster that I use to dust of the wheels before every drive. I have PCCB so no brake dust, but the armorall and duster combo works great for me in keeping my black wheels clean for lengthy periods
Old 06-17-2018, 01:57 PM
jsimon777
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I just tested out Armor All Outlast on driver side wheels and Dr. Beasley Matte Wheel Seal on the passenger side wheels. After a spirited a 170 mile drive I was surprised to see that both products did a good job. Could see no real brake dust on either side. The Armor All was super easy to apply - just spray it on. The Beasley was a bit more time consuming - you have to spray it on, allow it to sit and then wipe it off. Overall, was impressed by both, but the Beasley side wheels look better. Also, you have to be real careful with the Armor All. You are supposed to spray it on and let it sit for an hour and not touch it. When I went to check the wheels after an hour or so, the spray pooled up in some areas and also left white run stains on the black wheels. Easy enough to wipe off clean, and there does not appear an easy way around it. Next test is to see how long they both last.

still trying to figure out of the Armor All is safe for the center locks?
Old 06-17-2018, 02:47 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by kunzjob
Yes they're a pain to clean...but damn they look great when they are clean! I use a simple green/ water solution, wipe them with a rag, then soap and water, wipe them dry with another rag. I'm going to try some of the Armor all mentioned above.
I use Armor All wheel protectant too which I think helps a lot. I always wonder though about the wisdom of spraying this stuff on moving brake parts, lug nut etc.

J
Old 06-17-2018, 02:58 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
I use Armor All wheel protectant too which I think helps a lot. I always wonder though about the wisdom of spraying this stuff on moving brake parts, lug nut etc.

J
Been using it for about 7 years and +100,000 Porsche miles. Zero issues here.

Quick Reply: Damn Black GTS wheels ( Dirty )