Sponsored by:

Track Day Help - 1st timer

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 10:40 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraFahrer
Who determines what's a GOOD motorcycle helmet? If he's buying a new helmet for HPDE events he should buy a SA2015 and not a motorcycle helmet.

that's true if OP is planning to buy one, but if you are not and have a good motorcycle helmet, you will be OK for your first HPDE
Old 06-15-2018, 10:43 PM
HD2pct
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
Chicago PCA at Autobahn (7/2018) is not for novices, no instruction will be provided. Go to Blackhawk this Friday, 6/22, lots of novices attending. You'll meet other "new" DE drivers which adds to the experience Half the fun is meeting other like minded folks who like to drive around in circles all day long, burn gas and wear out tires and brakes.
If you are set on on Autobahn, checkout SCCA. They have some 'half" day events at Autobahn. Instruction really helps and is highly recommended for safety and learning track etiquette. Instruction isnt there to teach you how to drive faster, you'll need to higher a race coach.

Lastly, being really nervous is normal. If you aren't nervous, you aren't normal and either should not be on track or maybe you are very special and a good candidate for F1.
Nope I am not the F1 guy!. I have a ton of academic knowledge about suspension loading and racing lines and all that crap. That means that if just open myself up for real instruction, I just might learn something in real life, knowing that there is so much I don't know. Thanks for this insight. I now really want to give this a shot.

I'll check out the other event you mentioned
Old 06-16-2018, 12:31 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by vodkag
that's true if OP is planning to buy one, but if you are not and have a good motorcycle helmet, you will be OK for your first HPDE
Read the rules of the club or organization hosting the HPDE you will run with. They will clearly tell you what is acceptable. All the HPDE’s I have run with require Snell ratings and they check. Don’t assume anything off of this thread or forum.

For new folks, NASA has some good articles for HPDE.

https://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/
Old 06-16-2018, 05:17 AM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Apologies for the slight thread drift but after reading all the recommendations for upgrading brake fluid, are there any disadvantages in having ‘racing’ fluid in a car that is used most/all on the road? I don’t track mine but I do drive in hilly terrain and was thinking of an expedition to the Alps this summer, so there is the possibility of repeated heavy braking in hot conditions...
Old 06-16-2018, 08:01 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

No problem on racing brake fluid all the time. Ate is my favorite alternate between gold and blue. Lots of good advice here. As twenty plus year instructor I'll add my two cents and what I call the big three: vision, concentration and smoothness. Keep your eyes up, look where you want the car to go and remember to drive with your fingertips if you get too excited. A certain Mr. Haywood taught me that one. Also, as a rookie you'll probably tend to turn in too early- when you see the corner....wait. Then turn in. Better late than early.

And I'll add one more from an awesome NJ instructor I once had- (never told to female students): apexes are like vaginas- you just need to stick it in there.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:12 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by George from MD
No problem on racing brake fluid all the time. Ate is my favorite alternate between gold and blue. Lots of good advice here. As twenty plus year instructor I'll add my two cents and what I call the big three: vision, concentration and smoothness. Keep your eyes up, look where you want the car to go and remember to drive with your fingertips if you get too excited. A certain Mr. Haywood taught me that one. Also, as a rookie you'll probably tend to turn in too early- when you see the corner....wait. Then turn in. Better late than early.

And I'll add one more from an awesome NJ instructor I once had- (never told to female students): apexes are like vaginas- you just need to stick it in there.
If you are in the United States, ATE “Blue” has been gone for 5 or more years. The same gold still exists and is good for a street application, including “aggressive” street driving. There are better fluids for newer cars with bigger brakes and aggressive pad compounds than ATE 200 if you are gong to track the car.

Quick Reply: Track Day Help - 1st timer