Sponsored by:

Understanding Porsche CPO

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 11:54 AM
vwduud
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Understanding Porsche CPO

I've read excerpts from different posts on this forum, where owners either have or suggested that a Porsche car owner have the dealership buy the car back so that the owner can re-buy the car and obtain the Porsche CPO warranty. Or something like that. I'm just going from memory, as at the time, this wasn't all that relevant to me.

I just rolled over the 40k mile mark and will exceed 50k miles after a little over 3 years of ownership. I bought this 2016 new in December 2015 and plan on keeping the car. I have begun the research of third party warranty companies like Fidelity, etc.

Can someone with in depth CPO knowledge share the details of what I "think" I remember reading about? In other words, is it possible for me to keep my car and obtain Porsche's CPO as if I traded it back in to them, then re-purchased it back from them? Or an easier (less expensive) route?
Old 06-12-2018, 12:23 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Some dealers won't do it at all, some will charge for it. It will still have to have any work done that's needed to complete the CPO checklist, like replacing tires that still may have some useful life in them. There may be tax implications depending on what state you're in. No easier route, other than a 3rd party warranty. I think I did read about a Porsche branded extended warranty that can be purchased if there's still some original warranty left.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:33 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I've never heard of being able to CPO a car you own, and trying to sell a car to a dealer and re-buy it with a CPO sounds kind of far-fetched. In any event Porsche charges a dealer something like $2500-$3000 to CPO a car, so in the end it would be the same as buying a warranty. As mentioned above, there is Porsche branded warranty shown on their website, but it is somewhat of a mystery.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:44 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

all you need to do is go back to the dealer and see if they will extend your warranty, then they will tell you what tricks they may have or they will try to sell you the extended warranty they deal

Quick Reply: Understanding Porsche CPO