Sponsored by:

Turning drilled rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 07:10 PM
mymac
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Turning drilled rotors

My newly acquired 1012 991 is going to need brakes soon. I'm hoping there is enough meat left to turn rotors one time before replacing ( car has 30k ). So with that in mind I went to my local NAPA shop to inquire about Turning rotors. NAPA guy said he doesn't like turning rotors that are drilled? Should I just buy new Rotors or look for someone else that can turn them? Also whats a good "dust free" brake pad. Thanks, noob here
Old 06-11-2018, 07:43 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I am running these Sebro rear rotors (Porsche front rotors) and they have held up well after four track days with RS29s: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...02-seb-909323c

I can't help with dust-free pads.

Edit to add: I would buy Sebro front/rears instead of turning the old rotors.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:50 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Replace the rotors if necessary. Are they out of spec? It’s a performance car, don’t cheap out on the brakes.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:43 PM
tango131
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

OP, Ditto what has been stated. Just buy new rotors. They are not that expensive. Can stick with Porsche branded ones (look at Suncoast parts) or go aftermarket from sebro, Zimmerman, Brembo https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog..._pg2.htm#item7

Install can vary from dealer (over $1000), Indy shop (~$500), or dyi about 2-3 hours all in if you know how to turn a wrench. Search here for dyi guides, it’s fairly simple procedure assuming you have a torque wrench and the correct hex bits.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:47 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

One does not "turn" 991 rotors. Buy new ones.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:27 AM
Contadino
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was able to have my 968 rotors turned 3 times when I was tracking that car. Cost was something like $25-$35 each. They were drilled rotors. After they were turned I did spend a few minutes to clean out the holes.
Not sure why a 991 would be any different.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:45 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Skip the dustless brake pads, they can't stand up to heat and unless you drive your Porsche like its a Mercedes S Class - have no place on the car.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:29 AM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 131 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by mymac
My newly acquired 1012 991 is going to need brakes soon. I'm hoping there is enough meat left to turn rotors one time before replacing ( car has 30k ). So with that in mind I went to my local NAPA shop to inquire about Turning rotors. NAPA guy said he doesn't like turning rotors that are drilled? Should I just buy new Rotors or look for someone else that can turn them? Also whats a good "dust free" brake pad. Thanks, noob here
And the question is, why would you want to do this?? Is there some performance problem?? Do you feel pulsing in the pedal from a warped rotor?? This isn't your father's Olds where a brake job included turning the rotors. As for being in spec, do the wear dimples outside the drilled holes still show??
Old 06-12-2018, 09:43 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Originally Posted by eagle1960
And the question is, why would you want to do this?? Is there some performance problem?? Do you feel pulsing in the pedal from a warped rotor?? This isn't your father's Olds where a brake job included turning the rotors. As for being in spec, do the wear dimples outside the drilled holes still show??
Respectfully - I disagree. A couple of points. Rotors almost never "warp", but that is a term used frequently when there is pad build up on the rotor and the pedal pulsates. A brake job should ALWAYS include either new rotors or else a fresh turned surface on an existing rotor so the mating surface between new pad and rotor is not compromised by the grooves in the old rotor (that will cause vibration in the pad which leads to brake squeal and shortened pad life).
Old 06-12-2018, 08:12 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Skip the dustless brake pads, they can't stand up to heat and unless you drive your Porsche like its a Mercedes S Class - have no place on the car.
+1. I suggest Porterfield R4-S if you don't want OEM. Suncoast or Pelican for rotors. Don't forget the hardware and sensors.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:30 PM
Pat1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they are in spec you can machine them with no problems. I have machined drilled and slotted rotors for the last 25 years and never had a problem as long as they are in spec. If your tech know what he's doing its possible.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:23 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
One does not "turn" 991 rotors. Buy new ones.
^^^^^^^^^^^^ This^^^^^^^^

And if you think you “might” track the car, consider slotted instead of drilled rotors. They last longer (no heat cracks between the holes) and provide slightly better braking! They weigh slightly more but worth it.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:49 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51

^^^^^^^^^^^^ This^^^^^^^^

And if you think you “might” track the car, consider slotted instead of drilled rotors. They last longer (no heat cracks between the holes) and provide slightly better braking! They weigh slightly more but worth it.
When I was actively tracking my car - I had dedicated track rotors and pads (very aggressive) along with R-Compound tires on beater wheels. The night before I'd put the car on my lift in the garage, pull the wheels, calipers and rotors, and put the matched set on the car. Bleed the brakes, too - every 3 months. That way each track pad had its own rotor to ride on and I had them marked with tape each position on the car. When I'd get home after the track day, the street set went back on. Yes, I trailered out. Sound like a big job but I could do it all in 50 minutes once the car was on the lift.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:04 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
A brake job should ALWAYS include either new rotors or else a fresh turned surface on an existing rotor so the mating surface between new pad and rotor is not compromised by the grooves in the old rotor (that will cause vibration in the pad which leads to brake squeal and shortened pad life).
Really? So it the car just needs new brake pads and the rotors are fine but are drilled and should not be resurfaced what's one to do? I just had new pads installed prior to a track day and all I had to do was bed in the pads.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:13 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Pat1
If they are in spec you can machine them with no problems. I have machined drilled and slotted rotors for the last 25 years and never had a problem as long as they are in spec. If your tech know what he's doing its possible.
+1

Quick Reply: Turning drilled rotors