Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My brand new PDK vs my old PDK (difference in performance feel/characteristics)....

Old 06-09-2018, 08:37 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts
Default My brand new PDK vs my old PDK (difference in performance feel/characteristics)....

Well, finally got time to wring my new PDK out a bit (the original one on my 2012.5 shifted perfectly, extremely fast, but had a clattering effect for a few seconds when driven the first time for the day + exclusively immediately uphill) and figure it's worth mentioning to any wondering, that it does in fact feel a bit different from my old one (car has Sport Chrono, btw).

Noticed on certain roads I'm used to driving for fun, as it downshifts more crisply/refined and less hard than my last one (I actually kind of missed that hardness), it seems to have a less abrupt and aggressive *feeling* downshift overall (again, I did like that for its visceral recognition which is most important for real world fun-runs, but appreciate this way for its clear performance advantage as well), replaced by a shaper and simply crisper downshift that you don't physically "feel" as much. Where it really shines is at more aggressive throttle upshifts, which are extremely immediate and crisp, more so than my last one. I especially noticed it with a friend who owns a Nissan GTR riding passenger, while going on a long onramp to get onto an empty highway, it sounded like a cup car, definitely faster and more urgent shifts with less of a physical "shift feel" than I remembered. On a side note, as a guy who's owned a 500 HP GTR for some time, said friend was commenting on how fast (and symphonic) the car felt, he seemed quite surprised. Not bad for a lil' atmospheric 3.4. Porsche magic sauce is real.

Anyway, thought if anyone would be interested, there it is. I guess not surprising really.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:58 PM
jimjoe997
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a 2009 C4S and a 2018 Carrera GTS. Both PDK. Both cars are awesome, but the PDK on the 2009 feels so crude compared to the 2018, especially the 2->1 downshift.
In sport mode, the 2009 feels just about right for the street. Sport mode for the 2018 is good too, but I wish it would wait just a bit longer before upshifting to 2nd.
In sport plus mode, the 2009 is unusable on the street and great at the track. Sport plus mode on the 2018 is sometimes fun on the street. I will know more about its use on the track after this coming weekend at VIR.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:16 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

I don't understand this thing of complaining about PDK shift points. There are paddles or buttons at your fingertips. You can shift anytime you like.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:17 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jimjoe997
...Sport plus mode on the 2018 is sometimes fun on the street. I will know more about its use on the track after this coming weekend at VIR.
My observation also, sport plus on my 2017 is a blast on the twisty mountain roads. It only seems to hold as long as needed, I don't recall that on a 2012.5 I used to drive all the time, but then it was a while ago. I've noticed though that sport will adjust quickly to very aggressive driving.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:19 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
I don't understand this thing of complaining about PDK shift points. There are paddles or buttons at your fingertips. You can shift anytime you like.
Interesting, I saw all this as observations for discussion not a complaint. It can be fun to compare technology over time.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:14 PM
jimjoe997
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks WhipE350.
Both cars are awesome, just a bit different.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:39 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you get it replaced under warranty or something?

Interesting to see if part numbers or serial numbers have changed between now and then.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:17 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Nino
Did you get it replaced under warranty or something?

Interesting to see if part numbers or serial numbers have changed between now and then.
Yeah, replaced under warranty with just a month to go on CPO. I would be really interested to know as well.

It’s worth mentioning that it’s REALLY notable how consistent these PDK’s are, meaning how perfectly they got the 991 gen PDK from the get go. Anyone not completely in tune with the car would feel they’re identical. And in reality, they really are. I just noticed some very nuanced specifics where the new one felt ever so slightly different here or there. It shifts SO fast, but then, my old one did too. Overall, I think what’s most impressive in regards to Porsche’s engineering is how similar this one feels to my 2012 PDK. While at the same time I enjoy those very slight and nuanced refinement I feel I notice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My brand new PDK vs my old PDK (difference in performance feel/characteristics)....