Sponsored by:

Question for T owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 08:58 AM
usmcav8or
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for T owners

Was wondering how much louder the cabin noise is over the base or S? I've searched threads and read all the journalist reviews of the T, but would be interested to hear owner comments on how the noise level suits a daily driver. Is it the kind of noise that is great when you are out for a Sunday drive, but then wish it wasn't so loud on a road trip? Is it 10% louder than a base or 60%? I drove a T on a very short test drive, loved the car and it seemed a tad louder to me over the base, but I would love to get input from folks with significant time behind the wheel. I'm ordering a 911 for a daily driver and it's between a CT or CS, the only item that gives me pause on the T is signing up for a "loud" cabin on long highway trips.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:05 AM
russdc
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 51 Posts

Its not loud in my opinion. Can be driven daily.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:36 AM
Jordan Pryce
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The only thing I notice is when rear wheel wells pick up stones. That I can hear. Exhaust and engine sound is not bad at all. Less than my 997 GTS for sure. Turn off PSE and cruise all day.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:55 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

If you're pushing the car, it is loud, there is no doubt about it. It screams both inside and outside the cabin. And yes, you will hear all the rocks chipping off the tires into the wheel-wells.

If you're just cruising into work, etc, it's not that bad. It has two personalities in that sense.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:31 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Given that the rock sounds on my 991.2 S are a lot louder that on my prior 991.1 4S, I'm thinking that part may just be due to the differences in the 991.1/2 models. But I haven't driven a T to say for sure. There are some threads about the increased rock noises on the 911.2 models and measures people have taken to address that.

I'd bet that the increased engine/mechanical sounds are the most prominent effect of the T's reduced sound insulation, along with a little more wind noise from the thinner glass. I'm sure the glass would have to make some difference. My recently-purchased F150 has heavier "SoundShield" glass that my prior F150 didn't and the difference is quite notable.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:05 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

It could also be the tires. The newer stickier tires will pick up more rocks so you will hear them. Option is to go to higher wear rated tires that are harder and you should get less rock pick up.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:48 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Because of the low end torque the T can be driven at lower rpms when conditions warrant. It is comfortably quiet when driven gently.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:56 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
It could also be the tires. The newer stickier tires will pick up more rocks so you will hear them. Option is to go to higher wear rated tires that are harder and you should get less rock pick up.
The pebble noise is just one of those things you have to hear to believe on the 911. I keep trying to convince myself it's not doing anything to the car...but I cringe every time.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:55 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
The pebble noise is just one of those things you have to hear to believe on the 911. I keep trying to convince myself it's not doing anything to the car...but I cringe every time.
To be honest, I love it. Doesn't bother me at all. Older cars were much the same way and sort added to their "character".
Old 06-05-2018, 03:17 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,178 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by k997
To be honest, I love it. Doesn't bother me at all. Older cars were much the same way and sort added to their "character".

+1.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:23 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by usmcav8or
Was wondering how much louder the cabin noise is over the base or S? I've searched threads and read all the journalist reviews of the T, but would be interested to hear owner comments on how the noise level suits a daily driver. Is it the kind of noise that is great when you are out for a Sunday drive, but then wish it wasn't so loud on a road trip? Is it 10% louder than a base or 60%? I drove a T on a very short test drive, loved the car and it seemed a tad louder to me over the base, but I would love to get input from folks with significant time behind the wheel. I'm ordering a 911 for a daily driver and it's between a CT or CS, the only item that gives me pause on the T is signing up for a "loud" cabin on long highway trips.
Hi. I've had my T for two months and have done over 2,700 miles. I previously had a 991.1 C2 in which I covered about 11,000 miles.

To my ears, the T is a bit louder inside, but I'd say that the difference is less than 10%. Do note though, that I have rear seats and standard rear glass in my T.

I drive in Sport mode most of the time. Personally I don't detect much difference in the cruising noise from the exhaust with PSE turned on or off. I enjoy the gurgles on the over-run though.

My T is my only car and a daily driver. Every fortnight I do a drive of 330 miles plus and am very happy & comfortable doing this trip in the T.

Last edited by Wing Commander; 06-05-2018 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 06-05-2018, 03:33 PM
usmcav8or
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks wing cmdr, that is very helpful as I too plan on ordering "normal" glass and having back seats, so my setup would be identical to yours. I have pretty significant hearing loss and suffer from constant tinnitus, so while I love hearing the engine during spirited driving, I've learned that having a car drone loudly over prolonged periods on the freeway is pretty aggravating for me. If it's only 10ish percent louder than a normal carrera, I'd be fine with it.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:35 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Thanks wing cmdr, that is very helpful as I too plan on ordering "normal" glass and having back seats, so my setup would be identical to yours. I have pretty significant hearing loss and suffer from constant tinnitus, so while I love hearing the engine during spirited driving, I've learned that having a car drone loudly over prolonged periods on the freeway is pretty aggravating for me. If it's only 10ish percent louder than a normal carrera, I'd be fine with it.
You're very welcome!

Given your condition, I'd push for a longer test drive in a T before ordering one, just to be on the safe side.

Cheers,

Simon
Old 06-06-2018, 07:35 AM
fueledbymetal
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 44 Posts

It's all relative to what you're used to. My T with the lightweight glass, a roof rack & bike is way quieter on the freeway than my S2000 (top up or down). But f you're coming from something like a luxury SUV or car, any 911 will be significantly louder.

If it's only 10ish percent louder than a normal carrera, I'd be fine with it.
In this case you should be fine - just be sure you're OK with the noise levels of a "normal Carrera" first though!
Old 06-06-2018, 09:09 AM
Puf n Stuf
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fueledbymetal
It's all relative to what you're used to...
Agreed.

In the cabin, my daily 991.1 GTS is noisier than my T when in attack mode.
About equal in sedate driving.

In the GTS the noise is all intake & exhaust. In the T one hears additional mechanical sounds.

Quick Reply: Question for T owners