Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Powder Coat GTS satin black wheels? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1071629-powder-coat-gts-satin-black-wheels.html)

Highyo 05-29-2018 06:38 PM

Powder Coat GTS satin black wheels?

guys maybe some of you have had this experience. whether it's the wrong product (i certainly used harsh soaps/cleaners) or just the passage of time, my satin black center locks have gotten what looks to be a "brown" sort of hue to them. i'm wondering if powder coating these wheels will bring them back to their original luster. has anyone done this with positive results? also as an aside, if anyone has one to recommend in the NYC area, i'm all ears.

thanks!

lawdawg98 05-29-2018 08:48 PM

brake dust, nothing more
proper cleaning will correct

DoubleDare 05-29-2018 09:35 PM

There’s a lot about this in the nearby car wash kit thread.

The brown stuff seems to be a mixture of brake dust and rust, and it adheres like crazy to the textured finish of the satin black GTS wheels.

You can coat them with wheel coating or paint coating, but you’ll want to remove the dust/rust first.

That takes car wash shampoo (preferably for matte paint), a wool or MF mitt and a lot of effort.

Many have reported problems using wheel cleaner chemicals (damage to the centerlock nut), so personally, I’d stay away from those with these wheels.

Rezus 05-29-2018 09:43 PM

I have used sonox wheel cleaner with excellent results to get that black back and dissolve the rust and dust, no damage to the nut but I am a bit apprehensive now and may cover the nut before spraying them again. The soap alone does not completely get rid of it

Penn4S 05-30-2018 12:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dr. Beasley's Matt wheel cleaner. Works amazingly well on matt wheels.

Highyo 05-30-2018 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by DoubleDare (Post 15042703)
There’s a lot about this in the nearby car wash kit thread.

The brown stuff seems to be a mixture of brake dust and rust, and it adheres like crazy to the textured finish of the satin black GTS wheels.

You can coat them with wheel coating or paint coating, but you’ll want to remove the dust/rust first.

That takes car wash shampoo (preferably for matte paint), a wool or MF mitt and a lot of effort.

Many have reported problems using wheel cleaner chemicals (damage to the centerlock nut), so personally, I’d stay away from those with these wheels.

my centerlock nut has a slight oxidized look to it and i ascribe that 100% to user error. i'm going to try the Beasley's and come back

oalvarez 05-30-2018 10:35 AM

another vote for the Dr. Beasley matte wheel cleaner.......spray on (i like to dilute it and use a pump sprayer for better coverage) and use wheel woolies/wheel brush to clean the barrel, spokes, and face. what i don't like about the product is the cost, maybe the most expensive wheel cleaner on the market.

Highyo 05-30-2018 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by oalvarez (Post 15043616)
another vote for the Dr. Beasley matte wheel cleaner.......spray on (i like to dilute it and use a pump sprayer for better coverage) and use wheel woolies/wheel brush to clean the barrel, spokes, and face. what i don't like about the product is the cost, maybe the most expensive wheel cleaner on the market.

i noticed that yes, 29 dollars on amazon but that is for 32 oz, which compares to the sonox at ~$19 for 16.9oz. when you say better coverage, is the bottle spray not up to snuff?

AAK GTS 05-30-2018 12:57 PM

There are many ph balanced iron removers on the market that work wonders and a good clay bar afterwards. Like others have noted keep any chemical away from the center lock as the anodized finish will discolor if not done already.

oalvarez 05-30-2018 01:05 PM

i simply like the foaming action that the pump sprayer provides....and the much, much larger (spray) coverage.

Highyo 05-30-2018 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by oalvarez (Post 15043935)
i simply like the foaming action that the pump sprayer provides....and the much, much larger (spray) coverage.

which one do you like? im in the market for one myself

Upscale Audio 05-30-2018 04:57 PM

Anymore I avoid anything acidic on any wheels. I use a 50/50 solution of Simple Green at first then scrub, but don't leave it on too long.

I was thinking of using a ceramic coating but frankly I don't see how that stuff protects if Simple Green just removes it.

13mit 05-30-2018 05:53 PM

I've tried probably 10-15 different wheel cleaners and would say Nextzett Colortec is probably the best I've ever used. Smells like garbage but it does the job well.

Highyo 05-30-2018 06:03 PM

just for sanity sake, has anyone re powder coated a satin black wheel?

oalvarez 05-30-2018 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Highyo (Post 15044326)
which one do you like? im in the market for one myself

i purchased one thru Griots Garage, it works well enough for me.