Powder Coat GTS satin black wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 11:14 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,737 Likes on 4,765 Posts

Originally Posted by Highyo
just for sanity sake, has anyone re powder coated a satin black wheel?
Instead of powdercoating, have a detailer apply a ceramic coating to them, either CQuartz or OptiCoat.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:54 AM
13mit
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

A ceramic coating won't fix your finish but will preserve it in its current state
Old 05-31-2018, 07:01 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

Rubbing alcohol
Old 05-31-2018, 08:06 AM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

For those who use chemical wheel cleaners, how do you keep the chemicals off the Centerlock nut?
Old 05-31-2018, 08:31 AM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Rubbing alcohol
Really?
Old 05-31-2018, 09:01 AM
Highyo
Pro

Originally Posted by 13mit
A ceramic coating won't fix your finish but will preserve it in its current state
+1. definitely something i will do if/when i get new wheels
Old 05-31-2018, 06:47 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I re powdercoated matte black wheels on my Cayenne

before

after
Old 06-02-2018, 08:04 PM
Highyo
Pro

Originally Posted by MJG911
I re powdercoated matte black wheels on my Cayenne

before

after
wow those look great. why were they so oxidized beforehand? and how is the maintenance now? it feels like a new powdercoat is a real option, those wheels look brand new
Old 06-02-2018, 10:20 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

wow those look great. why were they so oxidized beforehand? and how is the maintenance now? it feels like a new powdercoat is a real option, those wheels look brand new
because Forgestar only offered matte black, and matte black really doesn't age well. That and my wife taking it to the full service car wash and their harsh chemicals. The satin holds up much better. The color is from Prismatic Powders and is called Stone Black. Before closing my business I used that color for 12 years and never had any come backs with it.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:43 PM
Cheshi143
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 145 Posts

Yes, the entire process is about $85-100 per wheel and can take up to a couple of weeks. This does not include dismount/mount and balance of tires which can be another $80-100 for all four tires.

Make sure they use a cold chemical strip for your existing wheel finish, then powder coat the wheels.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:05 PM
Highyo
Pro

Originally Posted by Cheshi143
Yes, the entire process is about $85-100 per wheel and can take up to a couple of weeks. This does not include dismount/mount and balance of tires which can be another $80-100 for all four tires.

Make sure they use a cold chemical strip for your existing wheel finish, then powder coat the wheels.
a couple of weeks sounds like this is a winter project. wow.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:23 PM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

Highyo, before you go all the way to powder coating, you might try Dr. Beasley's matte wheel sealant, along with the matte wheel cleaner that Penn4S recommended above.

I tried both for the first time last week, and was surprised how much the sealant improved the look of the wheels. They're definitely a darker, richer, more uniform black now.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:46 PM
Highyo
Pro

Originally Posted by DoubleDare
Highyo, before you go all the way to powder coating, you might try Dr. Beasley's matte wheel sealant, along with the matte wheel cleaner that Penn4S recommended above.

I tried both for the first time last week, and was surprised how much the sealant improved the look of the wheels. They're definitely a darker, richer, more uniform black now.
i have already ordered the cleaner, you're saying the sealant works well? have you tried the sonax or the armor all product that purports to do a similar job? would like to see if that compares.

as for now i've been steered away from the powdercoating bc i want to try dr beasly and then even the rubbing alcohol. i am also considering gviing them a reallly good clean and then having them sealed. tired of that brownish look
Old 06-06-2018, 06:42 PM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

i have already ordered the cleaner, you're saying the sealant works well? have you tried the sonax or the armor all product that purports to do a similar job? would like to see if that compares.

as for now i've been steered away from the powdercoating bc i want to try dr beasly and then even the rubbing alcohol. i am also considering gviing them a reallly good clean and then having them sealed. tired of that brownish look
Yes, the matte wheel sealant works well. I haven't tried Sonax or Armor-all because as far as I know, they're designed for regular gloss finishes, not satin or matte finishes.

I did coat the wheels early on with Black Diamond Wheel Coating, which also isn't specific to matte/satin finishes. My impression is, it didn't help much at all.

FWIW, Dr. Beasley's matte sealant is supposed to be re-applied frequently - like every time you wash your wheels. Dr. Beasley have a wheel coating as well, which would last much longer, but their blog actually recommends you use their matte paint coating rather than their wheel coating if your wheels are satin/matte finish.

I have their matte paint coating, but haven't been brave enough to try it yet. The problem with coating these wheels is that it won't be easy to remove the coating (i.e. if you don't like it) without damaging the finish, since you're not supposed to polish matte/satin finishes.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:26 AM
Highyo
Pro

Ok both ordered will take before an afters. I think I will wait for now on the rubbing alcohol simply because that feels like overkill.

Quick Reply: Powder Coat GTS satin black wheels?