Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 purchase recommendations please (owners only please)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 05:35 PM
ATLBond
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
Hi All,

Sorry its a long slightly rambling post, partly because its also my first.

A used car I could get CPO which helps since I'd drive many miles. Am I crazy to say I'd put up to 20k miles per year on a 911?

I'm primarily posting this to get opinions from actual owners who have experience driving this car. You get caught up in buying a car and reading reviews from journalists who only have the car for a few hours and often paid. I always found information from actual owners who are past the honeymoon and found all the quirks to be was invaluable.

Is this car you guys thoroughly enjoy enough to say you keep forever?
Carrera-T with a few options will suit your needs / budget well I believe. Porsche makes a killing with options. So choose each option thoughtfully; why I want it, will it radically alter my driving experience, can I live without it. For example, if you are likely the only driver of the car, why do you need 14 way or 18 way seats? Just set it once and keep on motoring. I have a bunch of options in my 991.2 C2S that I don't use but simply makes me happy to have it so got it; go figure. Unlike 981 or 718, 991.2 comes standard with bells and whistles like PASM that makes driving it a joy. The best 991.2 is the 991.2 you choose for your needs, there is no inferior 991.2. Let us know what you decide.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:44 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for input all.

Im currently seriously considering a loaded used CPO 4S and will check it out on Saturday.

I wouldn't mind a T, however it's impossible to find one. No build allocations and people are paying over MSRP. It seems more of a car for someone who likes to drive manual (IMO, Porsche PDK is the best transmission built and as much as I like manuals, I'd rather have the PDK is this type of car and my driving style). I don't really care for less sound insulation and other features the T offers, however it allows you to get sports suspension and the model has many options standard (good for car value). I actually found a dealer with a T allocation. I sent them my build asking for discount. End of the day I got an email "we sold it over sticker." Called the next day and he claimed someone paid 10k over MSRP. Their manager had offered me 3% off for it the day before or they could trade it for 4C to get my option heavy build (probably make them more money than the T).

If I were to build a car, I end up optioning it 20k due to my experience with 981, I want certain things. All those options have nearly no value after you drive off the lot. My 120k base car turns into 90k the next year, meanwhile a similar S model is 110k. No allocations right now and discounts are limited...can't find any dealer with an allocation even if I wanted to have a 4C or 4S build. Such is the way of Porsche.

A lot of used cars are really sketchy too. Some are beat up, others have odd histories on carfax, and others have just plain weird options.

I have considered getting another 981 and save some money, however I like the 911 platform better after we had a kid. I want more of a GT car and while the 981 was great, my mentality and desire has changed since owning it. Buying another one feels weird and like going back to the past.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:03 PM
jerryzaiden
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 34 Posts

Where are you located?
Old 05-30-2018, 09:15 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

As a side note, it's interesting that some individuals have used 991.2 sales data (decreased sales compared to 991.1) to "prove" that the 991.2 is a lesser car. While there may be a bunch of .2's on dealer lots, there are plenty of individuals on RL recently who've complained that they can't get allocations. Clearly, there are market forces at work that none of us fully understand, including the likelihood that Porsche is making a killing on the GT models and would rather pump out those than the lesser priced cars.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:18 AM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryzaiden
For what it is worth, I was looking at a new base 991.2 then drove a pre-owned 2015 Turbo S asking $140,000 then test drove a new S. Then the GTS caught my eyes. I found a 2017 GTS with 2600 miles on it for $128k but paid $118k with CPO and fell in love. I would try and find a 991.2 GTS and yes they will deal on used inventory just search. Most are in the $130k range. Such an awesome car! You also get all the right bells and whistles.
Nice deal! That is very nice like 'new' mileage. The CPO with that is great, I couldn't get it, but I did get a free wrap which is awesome
Old 06-09-2018, 10:41 AM
minthral
Pro

After wavering between a ordering a new loaded base 4C car built sometime in the future (no allocations atm, so it would be a 2019 model built late this year or early next year), I decided to buy a loaded used/CPO 2017 C4S from a member here.

- GT silver with 20 inch RS spyder wheels
- PDK
- No sunroof
- sport pack (cosmetic bits like mirrors, rear steering, sport chrono, GT sport steering wheel, PSE)
- PCCD (ceramic brakes)
- PDCC (dynamic chassis control) and sport PSM
- Black leather interior
- Multi functional heated wheel
- Premium pack with vented seats (heated seats, xenon PDLS, auto dimming mirrors)
- Bose
- 14 way seats / memory pack
- Entry and drive
- Lane Chance Assist (blind spot monitoring)

The build is very similar to what I would have ordered but it has extra options. Surprising chance of me finding a used car for sale similar to what I want at the right time and owner had similar 'sell by' as my 'buy by' date! The main options like GT silver, PDK, no sunroof, xenon PDLS, black leather interior, multi GT wheel, 14 way seats, and PSE were on the car. S model allows sport PSM, which is probably the only reason I'd want to have an S (ended up installing OEM sports suspension on my boxster). The extra bits like PCCD, rear steering, and PDCC are things I wouldn't have ordered to keep costs down and potentially avoid maintenance, however the brakes look assume and should last forever...my base boxster had tiny brakes in the rear that I always considered upgrading with BBK. I could feel rear steering work (kind of unusual at first) and this is an option I'd considered on a T model (along with sport PSM). PDCC is hard to quantify without driving back to back...it apparently improves the ride, which is plus.

I would have been happy with a base (loaded) 4C, however I think the S model I picked would guarantee 'no regrets' because aside from Burmester, it has everything I could possibly want plus more. Its hard to tell if the S model is much faster...acceleration feels really similar.

I will be picking up the car on Wednesday...can't wait!!! I'm no rich guy...putting down nearly 40k on this car (some of my savings, stock earnings, work bonus, and 18k from TDI buyback). I will drive it a lot (no garage queen), but will have an SUV or truck to use when more appropriate. CPO warranty will cover any failures and I will need to make a decision to keep or sell once its nearly gone (2023). If its no lemon by then, I'll be keeping it probably 5 more years after that. Heck if it continues to be reliable, I'm never selling. Hopefully it wont be like my boxster which I felt I had to sell. It will 100% stock...I'm not going to mess anything up with mods.

No PPF will be installed. Owner already has ceramic coating and that's all I want. I have and had cars with film...perhaps that's a different discussion, but I personally don't like the risk of someone putting a razor to the car (unavoidable even by the best pro), don't like the look (especially after a few years of wear), headlights can't be filmed anyway (per manual because they have a coating), and paintless dent removal isn't possible on film. Wear and tare paint nicks from road debris are fine with me and anything major can be fixed via detailing. GT silver hides dirt/nicks/swears well. I'd rather have tiny paint chips than orange peel, film edge lines, and creases. The car already has a few tiny chips up front...don't bother me at all.

Edit: grammar

Last edited by minthral; 06-10-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:51 PM
JCC991S
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Hey man, congrats on your find, I think you will be happy and enjoy the fact that you ended up getting an S. You said that you have a Crosstrek, and you didn't ask, but just a heads up if you need to take your 3 month old you can do it in your 911 vs your 981, a Cybex Aton 2 is the best car seat that will fit back there. And your daughter wants to ride in your C4S instead of the Crosstrek anyway. Congrats again, and hope you have better luck in your 911 than you did with your 981.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:30 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You just purchased one hell of a car my friend. Congratulations!

If you ever want a nice bumper in power/sound start with some bypass pipes or high flow cats. You will not be disappointed.

I've had the chance to beat the living snot out of several 991.2 cars in grueling 120+ degree weather in the desert. Jumps, drifts, top speed pulls.. etc. The car impressed me so much. Earned my respect which led to me buying a 991.2. The .2 is build solid and tough like a tank.

Enjoy your new ride
Old 06-14-2018, 12:13 PM
minthral
Pro

Picked up the car yesterday and drove about 7 hours home. The way it handes makes you want to keep driving endlessly...really addicting. 7 hours went by really quick and I wasn't a least bit exhausted, perhaps even relaxed. Here are some initial impressions:

The power/speed is incredible. This is by far the fastest car I've ever driven. Pretty confident that it's faster than a corvette z06. All the power is useable with the engine on the rear axle and AWD (torque progresses to 50/50 split at wide open throttle, but normally mostly rear). You can floor the throttle at any moment and there is no wheel spin...it just goes without drama. It's insane how quickly you can get to 3 digit speeds. I didn't think that I'd care for it, but I actually liked the SC "crazy boost mode" button on the steering wheel along with being able to dial between mode easily. Push the button and then you can pass anyone with such ease it's just plain mad. Unlike my 981 boxster, there is a noticeable difference in how the power train responds in normal vs sport mode. Normal is good for comfort/eco/normal driving, but sport makes the car come alive. Sport plus further ups the response...you start hearing and feeling PDK shift violently...shifts become so rapid I'm wondering "is this okay for PDK durability?" As much as I like NA sound, the torque feel and speed of a turbo has me won over.

The ceramic brakes look awesome and the pedal feels great. I found myself feathering the brakes because that's all that was required to stop. I was concerned about braking too hard and the tailgating traffic behind me won't have enough time to stop. I normally get black wheels to hide brake dust, so no brake dust will be a nice benefit. Aside from flushing the fluid, I hope to never need to do a brake job for the life of the car. I read pads should be changed at 50% to prolong the rotors.

I found rear steering useful on passing and corners. The sensation is best described that the rear follows the front rather than being dragged behind. When passing, you can maneuver around traffic and it doesn't feel like you must drive further ahead of them for the rear to clear...you can slide into place. Similar thing happens going through corners - the rear curves into place rather being shoved along. Combined with AWD, this car feels more planted and agile than my 981 boxster did. Must have feature for me now that I experienced it.

I have the firmest /sportiest setup you can get on a 911. With everything turned on, the car is completely flat with quick feedback to the road, but I never found it uncomfortable even going over some big bumps on the highway that had me cringe "I hope this car isn't too low and that upcoming bridge transition won't rip my bumper off or bend a wheel"... car got some unscathed. I drove over a rock and it made me smile how I could "feel" it via feedback. Turn PASM / PDCC off and the edge goes away and it's quite comfortable.

The ride is much quieter than my boxster was. Engine/exhaust and road noise is more muted. If you go over rough textured pavement, there is loud tire roar that could get uncomfortable for longer durations, but average pavement means minor white noise and newly paved roads are silent. I don't normally drive on roads that cause the loud roar, but if that's all someone else has in their area, I can understand the complaints about tire noise. There is no wind noise worth mentioning even going really fast...slick aero car and tires mask any wind noise.

The PSE has just enough sound for me without being obnoxious. The flat 6 wail from an NA is still there, but the sound is less raspy is about the best way to put it...the turbo engine still has the same screaming wail on the inside, but the NA is more raspy/bassy on the outside. Unlike the 2015 GTS I tried, this car had no exhaust drone with PSE off (hallelujah!). If you turn it on, there is more drone/rumble on the inside, but most of the changes are on the outside. Sport mode opens something where you hear more noise in the cabin. In normal mode, not revving high, and PSE off, the car is fairly quiet. Having PSE, the sound on the inside is different so this isn't a comparison for someone looking for advice whether to get it, but based on trying a non-PSE base car, I can say the difference is minor. Unlike my boxster with aftermarket exhaust, I could drive this car for long durations and the power train noise doesn't get tiresome.

I drove 75-85 MPH lot of the way home, there were plenty of bursts of speed for passing, got stuck in traffic, plenty of sported driving on backroad, and I used 50%+ throttle at every opportunity. Trip computer said I averaged 25 MPG and averaged speed 60. I think that's impressive for a car with this much power. It took the whole 17.6 gallon fuel tank to get home 400 miles. This would mean I got 22.5 MPG or that the trip computer is about 10% optimistic which I guess is typical. This isn't an exact calculation, but probably close.

As much hate as the Bose system gets, I actually found it decent. You must turn off linear and surround mode...no idea why these settings exist and probably the cause of many people's complaints. I fade the sound 50% to back (center of rear seats), reduce bass by 2, and then use Spotify equalizer to further tame the base and highs. Sounds good to me. I use Bose QC earbuds and this sounds similar. Bose rolls off the highs, which I prefer for non-critical listening because they induce fatigue. It's an adequate system, but burmester is a step up I would have paid for given the opportunity because I do listen to music a lot.

I messed around with the new PCM and while it does have apple CarPlay, it's (IMO) just as clunky and confusing as the last. Not really a fan of the whole thing. It's quick to respond and gets the job done that's about it. Navigation and route planning is worse than google or even a tomtom...seems similar to the last version aside from a graphics touch up. Might end up using google maps with Apple CarPlay once that's released. I couldn't figure out how to get speed limit to display instrument cluster like the previous version. The updated PCM doesn't seem like a good reason alone to get this face lifted...it wouldn't be a deciding factor for me when compared 991.1 to 991.2.

In summary, I am very happy with the car and glad that I had the opportunity to buy this loaded C4S rather than a lessor optioned new base car. Would be hard to go back now and I can see why people always recommend to get the S. It is however considerably more expensive with all the options, so I guess if you don't want or can't afford things like rear steering, pdcc, pccb, sport PASM, you might be better off with a base car. These expensive options won't add much value to the car if you were to sell or trade. Its going to be an expensive deprecating Porsche that's going to get wear/tare driving, rather than an investment is the way I see it. Mines going to see many miles/years and probably be a cheap used car by the time I'm done with it. Not planning on storing it for the next owner looking for a 3-5 year old "low miles, prestine condition, past the steep depreciation curve, Sunday driver" Porsche. Bought it to enjoy it.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:56 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Nobody is going to read your essay without any photos. Nobody. It’s a rule. A fundamental of life on earth. One reality perceived in three different ways, and none of it worth a damn without some farkin photos !

Please
Old 06-14-2018, 06:07 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
After wavering between a ordering a new loaded base 4C car built sometime in the future (no allocations atm, so it would be a 2019 model built late this year or early next year), I decided to buy a loaded used/CPO 2017 C4S from a member here.

- GT silver with 20 inch RS spyder wheels
- PDK
- No sunroof
- sport pack (cosmetic bits like mirrors, rear steering, sport chrono, GT sport steering wheel, PSE)
- PCCD (ceramic brakes)
- PDCC (dynamic chassis control) and sport PSM
- Black leather interior
- Multi functional heated wheel
- Premium pack with vented seats (heated seats, xenon PDLS, auto dimming mirrors)
- Bose
- 14 way seats / memory pack
- Entry and drive
- Lane Chance Assist (blind spot monitoring)

The build is very similar to what I would have ordered but it has extra options. Surprising chance of me finding a used car for sale similar to what I want at the right time and owner had similar 'sell by' as my 'buy by' date! The main options like GT silver, PDK, no sunroof, xenon PDLS, black leather interior, multi GT wheel, 14 way seats, and PSE were on the car. S model allows sport PSM, which is probably the only reason I'd want to have an S (ended up installing OEM sports suspension on my boxster). The extra bits like PCCD, rear steering, and PDCC are things I wouldn't have ordered to keep costs down and potentially avoid maintenance, however the brakes look assume and should last forever...my base boxster had tiny brakes in the rear that I always considered upgrading with BBK. I could feel rear steering work (kind of unusual at first) and this is an option I'd considered on a T model (along with sport PSM). PDCC is hard to quantify without driving back to back...it apparently improves the ride, which is plus.

I would have been happy with a base (loaded) 4C, however I think the S model I picked would guarantee 'no regrets' because aside from Burmester, it has everything I could possibly want plus more. Its hard to tell if the S model is much faster...acceleration feels really similar.

I will be picking up the car on Wednesday...can't wait!!! I'm no rich guy...putting down nearly 40k on this car (some of my savings, stock earnings, work bonus, and 18k from TDI buyback). I will drive it a lot (no garage queen), but will have an SUV or truck to use when more appropriate. CPO warranty will cover any failures and I will need to make a decision to keep or sell once its nearly gone (2023). If its no lemon by then, I'll be keeping it probably 5 more years after that. Heck if it continues to be reliable, I'm never selling. Hopefully it wont be like my boxster which I felt I had to sell. It will 100% stock...I'm not going to mess anything up with mods.

No PPF will be installed. Owner already has ceramic coating and that's all I want. I have and had cars with film...perhaps that's a different discussion, but I personally don't like the risk of someone putting a razor to the car (unavoidable even by the best pro), don't like the look (especially after a few years of wear), headlights can't be filmed anyway (per manual because they have a coating), and paintless dent removal isn't possible on film. Wear and tare paint nicks from road debris are fine with me and anything major can be fixed via detailing. GT silver hides dirt/nicks/swears well. I'd rather have tiny paint chips than orange peel, film edge lines, and creases. The car already has a few tiny chips up front...don't bother me at all.

Edit: grammar
Very nice build! Congrats!
Old 06-14-2018, 11:58 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Great review. You echo many of my thoughts. I have the same performance options but a C2S and well I don't have the kewl brakes. I do love the button, I keep my thumb on it when driving next to my buddy in his 991.1, he tries to get the jump on me but with the 'button' it never happens .

Quick Reply: 991.2 purchase recommendations please (owners only please)