Sponsored by:

Touch up paint removal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 12:55 PM
woodranch
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Touch up paint removal?

I was touching up a few chips on my hood yesterday and put a little to much on one area. What is the best product to remove the excess touch up paint, but not damage the original paint? Thank you in advance!
Old 05-25-2018, 01:41 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used this before to take the "blob" away from the chip repair... it works ok, but I've never been able to get the results they demonstrate- degree of success may have to do with whichever paint color you have.

http://www.langka.com/
Old 05-25-2018, 01:44 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

wet sand the blob down level, then polish
Old 05-25-2018, 02:02 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah - I've used this before and it works great-https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-K2000-Mirror-Unigrit-Sanding/dp/B0009IQYZ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527267660&sr=8-1&keywords=meguiars+sanding+block, it can be a little nerve wracking the first time it's attempted, though... but a follow up polish makes things right again!
Old 05-25-2018, 02:15 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by woodranch
I was touching up a few chips on my hood yesterday and put a little to much on one area. What is the best product to remove the excess touch up paint, but not damage the original paint? Thank you in advance!

Since I know you well, and don't want you to risk doing damage. Call Sam and he'll fix it up for you. Leave it to the pros. Tell him you're a Rennlist guy. Local to you as well.

http://www.collisionbodyshop.com
Old 05-25-2018, 02:47 PM
Sam Zamir
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Since I know you well, and don't want you to risk doing damage. Call Sam and he'll fix it up for you. Leave it to the pros. Tell him you're a Rennlist guy. Local to you as well.

http://www.collisionbodyshop.com
Thanks for the shout out. Yes, I'm always happy to take care of fellow listers.

Originally Posted by woodranch
Swing by and let me see it. If you're not able to come by, put some nail polish remover on a q-tip and see if that does the trick. Cured clearcoat will not be damaged by acetone.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:12 PM
woodranch
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Thank you STG and Sam, appreciate the help from you both and the other advice. Hope nail polish remover works otherwise Sam I will see you soon.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:35 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

People might crinch when i say this. But a little brake cleaner and it comes right off, just spray wipe off. Once you get it off make sure you wax the area as well.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:36 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by mreloc
I've used this before to take the "blob" away from the chip repair... it works ok, but I've never been able to get the results they demonstrate- degree of success may have to do with whichever paint color you have.

http://www.langka.com/
This-^. I’ve used this stuff for years. Since the touch-up is fresh, Langka should work well.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:59 PM
BCA01
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 49 Posts

91% IPA on a microfiber. Just use caution as it is a pretty stout solvent but it works great. That’s what I always have handy when doing touch up work because inevitably I try more than once to get it to where I’m happy with it. Don’t try regular 70% IPA...it won’t work.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:21 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 139 Posts

I've recently had good success with Goof off.... if it's not cleared... Otherwise sandpaper..
Been touching up a spot on my old 911, dab, dry, dab more, dry, oops too much...goof off.. oops *all gone*... start over ;-) Doesn't touch the existing clear but takes off all the uncleared paint like there's no tomorrow... Mind mine was 1 or 2 days old..

Of course I immediately follow with a micropolish "rinse" of sorts to make sure there's no good off left on the clear...

You'd be surprised how resistant clearcoat is. First time I saw someone dab fresh paint over my existing good paint to test a color match I freaked out... I'm used to it now, comes right off with solvent...

Quick Reply: Touch up paint removal?