Sponsored by:

Porsche Sport Driving School

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 09:42 PM
SEG
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Porsche Sport Driving School

I know I am probably posting this in the wrong forum but seeing as though I own a 991.2 GTS and just drove a bunch off 911s on track, I figured I would post here. I just came back last night from the two day introductory class - I can honestly say I had two of the most rewarding and fun days of my life. I have a little bit of track experience but have never done anything like this. The facilities, instructors, track, cars, etc. were all amazing and everything was first class. Based on the threads, many of us baby our cars, so being able to bang on someone else's cars without really worrying about them is quite a thing. This isn't Disneyland - hey you - why not take this sapphire blue turbo s out on track and go ahead and drive it like you stole it? It's ok. By the end of day 2, I felt like we were pushing the cars extremely hard (by amateur standards - the instructors were probably going at 70 percent). And you really can go at your own pace. During the sessions, they kept splitting us up into groups so the faster folks stayed with the faster folks and the slower folks stayed with the slower folks. For all those thinking about this, absolutely go. Don't upgrade the stereo in your next car, leave out the sunroof, skip the carbon fiber - the money is better spent on this experience. And for those with a significant other who may not want to drive, bring them along - the hotel has a spa, your significant other can hang out at the track and eat with the group. The instructors were also taking them on ride alongs on the track and during the exercises. I would be happy to do a more fulsome trip report if people are interested but I figured I would at least put in a plug for this experience. Oh and by the way, I know why GTS allocations are hard to come by - they are all down at the school - they had like 10-12.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:25 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

Good that you had fun.

Keep it up ( but it does get expensive, you would be surprized how quickly you run through tires.....)
Old 05-24-2018, 10:27 PM
SEG
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

That's the beauty of the school. Their brakes, their tires.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:34 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

I go through 5-6 sets of tires a year tracking my car....
Old 05-25-2018, 01:40 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

i got my first porsche driving school scheduled beginning of June! super excited
Old 05-25-2018, 05:03 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,181 Likes on 623 Posts

My first one is Tomorrow. Finally!!!
Old 05-25-2018, 08:49 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

If you have the cash, there's no better way to enjoy the track than PSDS. They put on a first class event at every level. And it's not all fun and games - my driving has definitely improved from their instruction. On top of that, Barber is a phenomenal facility.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:06 AM
swisman
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over the last several years, I have been fortunate enough to attend all the levels of PSDS including the 4 day Masters RSR Racing school and can't say enough good things about the school. It is a bit pricey...but considering the facilities (Barber), awesome instructors, and the fact that you are driving Porsche's cars & not your own...it is easier to rationalize the expense. I can honestly say that my driving skills have improves dramatically as a result of attending the school. Plus it is just so damn much fun!!!

In fact, many of the same students come back year after year to participate in the higher level Masters courses...because it is a decent value for the money. Also, PSDS gets the latest & greatest cars...like GT3 RS's.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:04 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks for the write up. I did a 1 day course there that was really fun and am looking to go back for a 2 day course.
Would love to hear more about the specifics if you are willing to write it out.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:27 AM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

I did the two-day program four years ago. Fantastic. I had done numerous track days to that point, but learned a lot at PSDS to improve my driving skills--on track and off, Well worth the time and money.
I need to go back.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:23 PM
uury
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I did the 2-day intro class back in April, and it was awesome. I'm definitely going back for the 2-day masters, but want to wait until they get a batch of 992s -- curious to compare/contrast to the GTSes they had on hand.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:26 PM
junk988
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you think Porsche Sport Driving School is fun wait till you try Porsche Driving Experience Winter
Old 05-26-2018, 10:56 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,316 Likes on 723 Posts

They retired the GT3 RS from the course. Allegedly someone wrecked one past November.
They have the GT3 4.0L, but even that is limited.

Quick Reply: Porsche Sport Driving School