Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Gentleman's GTS: Euro Delivery

Old 05-26-2018, 09:03 AM
TTFLT6
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
The only reason you would take the ///M5 is if you frequently need to use the back seats. The 911 is the ultimate daily driver. Its better than my ///M4 as a daily. Silky smooth and comfortable and plenty of room. Everything works as it should. I have owned M3,M4,M5 and X6M. Now I have 911, I will never get another BMW ever. Porsche is next level.....Seriously.
+1. Spot on. There is a practical part of the brain that says get the big comfy sedan. You get the M5 and you’ll be enamored with all the new tech in the car. Within a year it will just be a sedan to you. Big, heavy and looks like every other new large sedan on the road. There really isn’t anything special about a BMW now that they are a mass volume car & finance company. I’ve owned 10 and became bored with every model after a 2 years. You’re not trying to talk yourself into buying a 911, you’re trying to talk yourself out of it. I highly doubt you would fall in love with a BMW M5. Porsche IS a different level.

*OP, Awesome Graphite Blue 911! Those seats are worth it!
Old 05-26-2018, 09:06 AM
deichenb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blue Pepita in light and shadow.

An appropriately green 928 S4 living in the Black Forest.
Thanks again for all the comments and Graphite Blau love! And for the seat kudos - they are absolutely fantastic. As posted above, previously seen in 50th and 911R, but in black and not in blue. Here’s a seat detail shot that shows the blue Pepita. Another reason to stay at Brenner’s Park is this green-on-green 928 owned by the hotel, and available for rent. They also own the green Samba behind it and a green convertible Beetle.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:19 PM
deichenb
Instructor

Atop the schwarzwaldhochstraße. This is what 911’s were created for.

Have fun storming the castle!

Doesn’t that look familiar? Bye bye, Baden-Württemberg.
I can’t quite tell what’s better: the drive or the car. We started out heading south today on 500, known as the schwarzwaldhochstraße, through the heart of the Black Forest. Opal-smooth, sweeping roads, climbing atop the densely wooded terrain are 911 heaven. We left early, and were accompanied by many rapid motorbikes heading both ways - some even more rapid than the GTS. The car is incredible and crisp, endlessly torquey, and much “revvier” than I expected the 3.0 turbo to be. Heading east we stopped and toured Triberg, easily the choice lunch stop in the Black Forest, took an easy hike up the lovely, wooded Triberg falls, and then dove down to Hohenzollern Castle at the border of the Black Forest and Bavaria. My wife acclaimed the GTS as a great grand-tourer: mission accomplished! Tomorrow we leave Baden-Württemberg for Bavaria...
Old 05-27-2018, 05:37 PM
quattroboy
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice. Brings back great memories of my ED (Leipzig) last summer. Enjoy!
Old 05-28-2018, 05:36 PM
deichenb
Instructor

Modern glass in Innsbruck.

Looks great from any angle!
Casteles and more castles - plenty of eye candy to accompany the gorgeous terrain and asphalt in Bavaria. More traffic today since it’s Monday, and the trucks were back. Popped over the foot of the Alps and into the Tyrol today. I’d say the GTS is as dramatic as a schloß on a hill!
Old 05-28-2018, 05:57 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 227 Posts

If you make Salzburg, stay at the Blobergerhof B&B. It's amazing. Berchtesgaden and Lake Konigssee is another place nearby to visit along with the Salt Mines in Berchtesgaden.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:37 PM
jerryzaiden
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 34 Posts

This is awesome! Love it. Very happy for you and you will love your 991.2 GTS!
Old 05-30-2018, 03:13 AM
deichenb
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
If you make Salzburg, stay at the Blobergerhof B&B. It's amazing. Berchtesgaden and Lake Konigssee is another place nearby to visit along with the Salt Mines in Berchtesgaden.
Thank you! We are indeed heading to Salzburg later in the trip. We already have reservations at Schloss Fuschl on Lake Fuschl, which should be gorgeous. The Salt Mines sound intriguing - I appreciate the recommendation.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:31 AM
deichenb
Instructor

Getting into the real numbers.

Faster friend in München.
Thanks again to all for the kind commentary!

We met up with a friend in München last night, after driving from Innsbruck north. This was my first shot at derestricted autobahn after some break-in miles, and I did succeed at a new personal land speed record, despite the A95 having mostly 4 lanes and not many straight sections. I’m going to await the A9 for the 6-lane flat out segments.

Regardless, the GTS is a rock at high speeds. It’s unfairly stable and can clearly handle the loads of velocity - better than some (much older) race cars I’ve owned. I can understand how the 991 platform can be made even faster, such as the variant we found waiting for us at our Altstadt hotel!

PS - Kudos to my co-driver wife for (1) encouraging me to enjoy the car and (2) taking these fantastic dash photos! Be absolutely certain your co-driver is ready for this if you do ED.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:08 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 545 Posts

Love the car, color and seats. Lucky you to be doing ED!
Old 05-30-2018, 07:22 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I can second the Berchtesgaden recommendation - I spent my summers there as a child. Fantastic WWII US Military history if you are into that sort of thing, and a fantastic Holocaust Museum where the historic General Walker Hotel used to stand. Plus fabulous roads all around the city (small town, really). And definitely. the salt mines are a blast!

Love your car, and I can't imagine a better first date with your GTS than driving in Germany!
Old 05-31-2018, 12:08 PM
kmk0303
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds amazing. Beautiful car!
Old 05-31-2018, 12:34 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Great looking car, love the spec, and love the pictures. Congrats on your new car.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:31 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 429 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by deichenb

Getting into the real numbers..
Oh my, there goes the warranty! Actually, glad to see you're enjoying to the max. Great write-ups. Keep 'em coming.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:28 AM
deichenb
Instructor

Just us and the mountain before 07:00.

As F Porsche intended.

Look at that beautiful ribbon!

The early bird gets the epic road.

There are sometimes moments of absolute clarity, where none of your choices in life are in question. Zero uncertainty; these are the moments one may wonder “how did I get this lucky?” Driving the Großglockner this morning was one of those moments. I felt grateful for a number of reasons: (1) Most importantly, my wife and co-driver. It was at her insistence that we awoke at 05:20 and got on the mountain before *anybody.* (Except for a few incredible cyclists - and these guys climbing the Alps are truly incredible!) She gets so many kudos. (2) The purchase of the car, with the ED wait, the long options list, etc. Not an iota of buyers remorse. (3) And especially the option of ceramic brakes! - we needed to slow down before all these no-guardrail second-gear turns! It’s the perfect road coupled with the perfect experience, and all of you should drive it. I promise no regrets. It’s the best 65 miles (we went both ways) this car will ever see.

Last edited by deichenb; 06-02-2018 at 02:07 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Gentleman's GTS: Euro Delivery