Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Gentleman's GTS: Euro Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 10:31 AM
deichenb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A pump in continuous function for over 150 years!
PS - Thank you so much for the rec on the salt mines! We went to the Old Mines, which was fabulous. Amazing, working 18th century tech on display.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:01 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by deichenb

A pump in continuous function for over 150 years!
PS - Thank you so much for the rec on the salt mines! We went to the Old Mines, which was fabulous. Amazing, working 18th century tech on display.
Glad you enjoyed it!

I did the GrossGlockner and loved it as well!
Old 06-01-2018, 10:56 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might want to change your mph to kph.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:14 AM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

oh man those roads......and those SEATS! wow wow wow!

congrats and enjoy,
Old 06-02-2018, 01:36 PM
deichenb
Instructor

Our afternoon on Lake Fuschl. Ahh...

0264M. A rebody, but an incredible chassis with period MM history.

My, how sportscars have grown. (They’ve also grown much more capable!)

How the Brits say fast.
We enjoyed a relaxing next-to-last day yesterday after the Großglockner and the Old Salt Works. Stayed overnight at the Schloß Fuschl, which we thoroughly enjoyed. Perhaps the best dinner of the trip, paired with all-Austrian wine. Coincidentally, the hotel was hosting the Arabella Classic Rally, which brought out some superb oldtimers to share the garage with me. The best Autobahn lay ahead of us this morning, en route to Leipzig drop off...

Last edited by deichenb; 06-02-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:42 PM
The Boz Abides
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Beautiful car and great write up. Can you have cooled seats with the houndstooth fabric? Love that pattern!
Old 06-02-2018, 03:00 PM
deichenb
Instructor

Originally Posted by The Boz Abides
Beautiful car and great write up. Can you have cooled seats with the houndstooth fabric? Love that pattern!
Great question. You cannot have cooled seats with the Pepita (houndstooth) fabric. The fabric can come in a black or blue pattern, and the seats can still be heated. During this first week, I think the fabric felt cooler than corresponding leather would have, but that may just be me rationalizing that I could not spec seat cooling!

Some things even Special Wishes cannot (will not?) do, like back seats in a GT3 Touring...
Old 06-02-2018, 03:24 PM
Andial
Banned

Great question. You cannot have cooled seats with the Pepita (houndstooth) fabric. The fabric can come in a black or blue pattern, and the seats can still be heated. During this first week, I think the fabric felt cooler than corresponding leather would have, but that may just be me rationalizing that I could not spec seat cooling!

Some things even Special Wishes cannot (will not?) do, like back seats in a GT3 Touring...
Former is can't. Latter is won't.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:57 AM
deichenb
Instructor

My land speed record. A9 south of Leipzig. Note to Speed Hunters: Vmax is achieved in 6th gear.

Massive, modern facility. Like ATL PEC on steroids. I’m going to miss my GTS til it comes home!
For a thrilling last day, we drove the Autobahn from Fuschl to Leipzig. Leipzig is the only location for ED weekend drop-off, and, in addition to providing our good Autobahn day, it also fit our schedule. A few things about driving on the Autobahn:

(1) The drivers are excellent. The left lane is for high speeds/passing and people are paying attention.
(2) 250 km/h+ is *fast*. Things happen quickly and it’s important to modulate your brakes and brake in a straight line. Closing distances are deceivingly rapid.
(3) Although there are restricted sections, the Autobahn is the best public high speed road on the planet. The site autobahnspeedhunter.com proved valuable in my quest for a new land speed record. Long, straight, divided 6-lane sections with smooth surfaces abound. Near 300 km/h, the surface makes all the difference - every patch or expansion joint is unsettling.

Although I remained a few ticks out of the “300 club,” I did make it into the “180 club,” which, as an English-measures American, was my Autobahn goal. Another gold star to my brave co-driver and lovely wife for capturing this image. Oil presssure and boost are up in the picture consistent with WOT, and I made it another 1-2 km/h on these fastest runs before braking. The car remains breathtaking - it can run high RPM’s and speeds for hours without any sign of weakness. The stock tires are incredible. And, man, those PCCB’s!

The Leipzig facility is impressive, massive, and modern, and I was glad to see both. Porsche treated us with consistent courtesy and expertise at drop-off (I’ll comment with detail in the “Process” thread), but handover at Zuffenhausen for a 911 is special. That’s still the heart of Porsche’s legendary sports car.

All in all, a most victorious and spectacular trip. I’m ready to sign up again.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:37 AM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

Great thread. Thanks so much for posting. Literally the hairs on the back of my neck were standing while reading this thread. Beautiful pictures and a great account of your experience. I will do this someday.

The GTS looks awesome. Drive it in good health and please post more pics of your journeys.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:48 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Nice seats. I never knew you could get the hounds tooth except for 911-R.
My thoughts exactly: I didn't know Pepita was even an option that was available - thought it was R only. I love it, btw, really suits the build.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:54 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My land speed record. A9 south of Leipzig. Note to Speed Hunters: Vmax is achieved in 6th gear.
All in all, a most victorious and spectacular trip. I’m ready to sign up again.
I also did a protracted fast run on the A9 - me in my 991.2 CS, running w/ a silver Conti GT - 250 km/h - 280 km/h for quite a way. The other A-bahn section I really hauled *** on was A71 b/w Erfurt and Wurzburg.

I'm w/ you there, @deichenb, I'm so ready to do it again!
Old 06-03-2018, 06:37 PM
deichenb
Instructor

Thank you again to everyone who followed this story and shared comments, compliments and hearty congrats. I appreciate the community and enthusiasm on Rennlist! We’ve arrive back in the US now. Here is a fitting departure photo from our exit via Frankfurt.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:42 PM
Andial
Banned

Thank you again to everyone who followed this story and shared comments, compliments and hearty congrats. I appreciate the community and enthusiasm on Rennlist! We’ve arrive back in the US now. Here is a fitting departure photo from our exit via Frankfurt.
Is this the LH FCT transfer vehicle?
Old 06-04-2018, 06:29 AM
deichenb
Instructor

Originally Posted by Andial
Is this the LH FCT transfer vehicle?
Yes. It was a Cayenne Turbo. They also have Panamera e-Hybrids. An appropriate partnership to have for the final drive on this voyage.

Last edited by deichenb; 06-04-2018 at 09:16 AM.

Quick Reply: The Gentleman's GTS: Euro Delivery