Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD 'plug in' on a 991 to get a small insurance discount. Would you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 07:39 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
I'd say absolutely not - never ever. That thing likely records everything.

Electric self driving cars around the corner, we might have a last hurrah here, don't give away your freedom.
It is evidence in any dispute with the insurance company. The insurance company could use it to cancel coverage because you drove +10 over the speed limit, based on engine revs. It will be a cold day in Hell before I willingly put one of those trackers on my car. I would spend a significant amount of effort to find a way to disable/fool any tracking device if it ever became universally required.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:44 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

From what I understand the insurance companies don't pay much attention to your speed. They are primarily concerned with:
Where you drive--they don't like high crime areas
When you drive--only drunks drive between midnight and 4:00AM
How far you drive--they like low miles for minimal exposure
And, most important for this group, how gently you drive--they don't like hard acceleration or braking, and I don't mean getting into ABS. Anything over about 0.3 g is a no-no.

My wife had a progressive module on her car for a while and she ended up with no discount, mostly because of the braking--and she isn't hard on the brakes.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:10 PM
KWP1911
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
I'd say absolutely not - never ever. That thing likely records everything.

Electric self driving cars around the corner, we might have a last hurrah here, don't give away your freedom.
What he said!
Old 05-26-2018, 09:14 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
Anything over about 0.3 g is a no-no.
Anything under 1g should be a no-no

Old 05-26-2018, 09:43 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

No f-ing way.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:42 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
From what I understand the insurance companies don't pay much attention to your speed. They are primarily concerned with:
Where you drive--they don't like high crime areas
When you drive--only drunks drive between midnight and 4:00AM
How far you drive--they like low miles for minimal exposure
And, most important for this group, how gently you drive--they don't like hard acceleration or braking, and I don't mean getting into ABS. Anything over about 0.3 g is a no-no.

My wife had a progressive module on her car for a while and she ended up with no discount, mostly because of the braking--and she isn't hard on the brakes.
No appeal from the decision of no discount... Presumably, your wife has no accidents or other chargeable claims against the policy? Nothing like arbitrary and capricious. As I said earlier, it will be a cold day in Hell before I put one of those stupid things on my car.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:53 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

I've got the State Farm telemetrics devices in all my cars - what Valvefloat991 above states is my experience so far. Small discount (about 5%) - not sure it is worth it.

cheers!
Old 05-27-2018, 02:33 PM
verstraete
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexd1
We have a carrier who is about to release their program and it tracks your phone instead of the device in the vehicle.

There are tons of ways to get this data so it will eventually get there regardless of if it’s a device plugged into the car or not.

Whats going to be disappointing is when they start tracking all the time and it’s not a trial period. Which by the way is already happening with some carriers.
Luckily, some of us are not tied to smartphones. A powered-off flip phone for emergencies is adequate and offers no opportunity for distracted driving. Old School is sometimes best.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:19 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by aCayenneFan
No appeal from the decision of no discount... Presumably, your wife has no accidents or other chargeable claims against the policy? Nothing like arbitrary and capricious. As I said earlier, it will be a cold day in Hell before I put one of those stupid things on my car.
Correct, she had a clean record and drives very conservatively. But she braked a little too hard, a little too often. NO DISCOUNT.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:41 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Originally Posted by verstraete
Luckily, some of us are not tied to smartphones. A powered-off flip phone for emergencies is adequate and offers no opportunity for distracted driving. Old School is sometimes best.
Smartphones can be powered off as well. The question is whether there is the will to power them off.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:54 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by aCayenneFan
Smartphones can be powered off as well. The question is whether there is the will to power them off.
Or just don’t put the insurance company’s stupid smartphone app on your phone.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:30 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NOPE.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:46 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Or just don’t put the insurance company’s stupid smartphone app on your phone.
If it becomes an insurance company 'requirement' you won't exactly have much say in the matter. However, the insurance company can't make you keep the battery at full charge or always linked to the Internet, can they? See the slippery slope? For every action there is a reaction (variation on Newton's Third law and what-not).

Quick Reply: OBD 'plug in' on a 991 to get a small insurance discount. Would you do it?