Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   How long before hook-up (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1070395-how-long-before-hook-up.html)

freeman 05-22-2018 06:04 PM

How long before hook-up

This week I read that a Rennlister recommends that we hook up to the Cetek charger weekly. I have not done so. My 991 GTS is not a garage queen but I leave it for up to two to three weeks without a charge. It always starts. Is this interval enough to degrade the battery without a charger? I think not. However, I would appreciate a knowledgeable statement from an informed, non-insulting person who can tell me how long the battery in my 991 can live without a maintenance charge.

spiderv6 05-22-2018 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by freeman (Post 15027550)
a knowledgeable statement from an informed, non-insulting person

That's quite a tall order on Rennlist.

LexVan 05-22-2018 06:21 PM

Most say on the 3rd date.

gellie 05-22-2018 06:21 PM

I think it may be more temputure specific. In the summer I’d go 1-2 weeks without hooking it up. In the winter when not knowing from day to day when I’m going to drive it, I hook it up every night.

Porsche_nuts 05-22-2018 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by freeman (Post 15027550)
This week I read that a Rennlister recommends that we hook up to the Cetek charger weekly. I have not done so. My 991 GTS is not a garage queen but I leave it for up to two to three weeks without a charge. It always starts. Is this interval enough to degrade the battery without a charger? I think not. However, I would appreciate a knowledgeable statement from an informed, non-insulting person who can tell me how long the battery in my 991 can live without a maintenance charge.

that's gonna be hard to find here :thumbsup:

but in all seriousness, I think it depends on how old your battery is and whether its summer or winter. In summer, 3-4 weeks without a charger is fine, but if the battery is in its fourth or fifth year, it would not hurt to charge it after 21/2 to 3 weeks. In the winter, I'd put the charger on if not driven for two weeks or more, especially if the battery is 3-4 years old or older.

AnandN 05-22-2018 06:33 PM

If more than two weeks especially this past winter, I used a the trickle charger. I try to drive it everyday. I enjoy driving it and suffer withdrawal symptoms when I cannot.
If you are doing short drives and only starting the car once every two or three weeks, I would use a trickle charger. Or leave the frunk open.

Churchill 05-22-2018 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by LexVan (Post 15027587)

lol, well played.

Over the winter I could only drive my 991 once a month, and had no trouble. It would crank a little slowly, but always started, and the battery would charge back up during driving. This is the original battery on a 2012 model, and is still in the car.

Dewinator 05-22-2018 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by LexVan (Post 15027587)

??? Usually 1st, maaaaybe 2nd if really hot otherwise not worth the effort.

freeman 05-22-2018 07:49 PM

......just the responses I expected from some of the usual sources. Why is that necessary? You guys will achieve the fame you lack. Would it have been kinder to just answer the question with your wisdom rather than insultingly?

LexVan 05-22-2018 07:58 PM

Freeman, does your wife know?

Did you ever get your membership dues back?

AnandN 05-22-2018 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by freeman (Post 15027787)
......just the responses I expected from some of the usual sources. Why is that necessary? You guys will achieve the fame you lack. Would it have been kinder to just answer the question with your wisdom rather than insultingly?

We are bored and how you posed the question opened up some opportunities for open interpretation.
But I did respond in an non-insulting manner.

spiderv6 05-22-2018 08:47 PM

come on dude. if you think anything above was insulting you really, really need to get out a bit more.

85Gold 05-22-2018 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by freeman (Post 15027787)

You must be thinking of the old RL before the current what color stitching should I get on my cup holder RL. :corn:

Peter

Avalon911 05-22-2018 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts (Post 15027598)
that's gonna be hard to find here :thumbsup:

but in all seriousness, I think it depends on how old your battery is and whether its summer or winter. In summer, 3-4 weeks without a charger is fine, but if the battery is in its fourth or fifth year, it would not hurt to charge it after 21/2 to 3 weeks. In the winter, I'd put the charger on if not driven for two weeks or more, especially if the battery is 3-4 years old or older.

What he said ^^^

Dgags 05-22-2018 11:02 PM

Thin skinned but quick to insult. Not the DD I’d want the keys to.