Sponsored by:

Targa GTS question

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 02:44 PM
vipertom 1970
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Targa GTS question

New to the forum, l love Porsche specially the Targa but could not afford it or made it a first priority. Hitting 50 year old, house is now paid off, daughter is on her own and out of college so I am thinking of ordering a new Targa GTS, manual transmission and asking for advice to see what I should pay attention to when I order. This will not be my daily driver, I like to push the car around a winding road once a while but will never tract the car.

thanks in advance

Tom
Old 05-22-2018, 02:50 PM
uury
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vipertom 1970
New to the forum, l love Porsche specially the Targa but could not afford it or made it a first priority. Hitting 50 year old, house is now paid off, daughter is on her own and out of college so I am thinking of ordering a new Targa GTS, manual transmission and asking for advice to see what I should pay attention to when I order. This will not be my daily driver, I like to push the car around a winding road once a while but will never tract the car.

thanks in advance

Tom
Rear-axle steering at a minimum. FALS if you're going to be going over large speed bumps, etc. I personally like deviated stitching, and deleted alcantara in mine (personal preference -- I don't like the texture). If you go with deviated stitching, don't forget the steering column. Also flipped the Targa bar back to silver (again, personal preference).
Old 05-22-2018, 03:02 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

house is now paid off, daughter is on her own and out of college
Tom
Congrats on this achievement and awesome that you're treating yourself to a GTS. I say go ***** out and spec the hell out of it since it will be your weekend or fun car.

Manual - since your not tracking
Rear Axel Steering
Front Axel Lift
Full leather/Carbon fiber with Deviated stich.
Sport PASM with PDCC. SPASM
PCCB
Burmster (audiophile)
PDLS - Black LED lights
Park Assist(front and rear) with reversing camera
Electric slide/tilt sunroof in glass
Power steering plus
Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18 way) with Memory package (heated/ventilated)
Old 05-22-2018, 03:02 PM
vipertom 1970
Instructor

here are some must have options for me but don't have knowledge about performance. must have: manual transmission, carmin red, carbon fiber steering, carbon fiber exterior mirror, CF shifter, red GTS logo on seats and interior aluminum exterior Targar bar car.

"Electric slide/tilt sunroof in glass" is this one of the options on a Targa ???

Last edited by vipertom 1970; 05-23-2018 at 03:22 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:31 PM
uury
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

here are some must have options for me but don't have knowledge about performance. must have: manual transmission, One of Porsche red upgraded color, carbon fiber steering, carbon fiber exterior mirror, CF shifter, red sticking on seats and interior, aluminum exterior Targar bar car.

"Electric slide/tilt sunroof in glass" is this one of the options on a Targa ???
It is not. Neither is SPASM (the Targa and Cabrios only come with standard PASM, which is -10mm). I'd also try and drive something with power steering plus vs. without before making that decision.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:46 PM
Andial
Banned

Don't get the GTS. It forces you to get SC. You can barely get an allocation, so contact Porsche Fresno ASAP.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:25 AM
vipertom 1970
Instructor

Do I need ceramic brakes if I don't race ? I think it's one of the most expensive options
Old 05-23-2018, 01:27 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No ceramic brakes for your use.. Unless you want it for bling bling.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:38 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

FAL is not necessary on a Targa.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:14 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Oh boy, if you're hooked on this model, you'd better find that allocation before worrying about the build. Everyone here can help with the build but not an allocation. Good luck, vipertom.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:20 AM
vipertom 1970
Instructor

I got an appointment this weekend with a local Porsche dealer and they already got one for me.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:26 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

I got an appointment this weekend with a local Porsche dealer and they already got one for me.
Fantastic! Ok, everyone into the pool

(Carmine Red btw, that's my only build input)
Old 05-23-2018, 02:37 AM
vipertom 1970
Instructor

Carmin red, silver targa bar, CF mirror , steering wheel and shifter are on the list.

Last edited by vipertom 1970; 05-23-2018 at 03:16 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:22 AM
Avalon911
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

Carmin red, silver targa bar, CF mirror , steering wheel and shifter are on the list.
no FAL needed
no PDCC
no PCCB unless you want to pay $9k for yellow calipers and minimum brake dust
no power steering plus

SPASM and Sunroof n/a (lol)

yes RWS
yes Multifunction steering wheel
yes to anything else you prefer

I love the mini ducktail (Sport design spoiler) on these cars

Give some thought to wheel options. Many threads on this. I love the stock satin black CLs, but not everyone does.

Congrats and best wishes!
Old 05-23-2018, 08:26 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Absolutely get the RAS. I also highly recommend PDCC. After having a car with both I would never order one without them.

Ceramic brakes aren't a must, they're just nice for less brake dust and lower unsprung weight, but like you said they're expensive. FAL isn't needed at all on a Targa. I don't have it on my cab, and I've never needed it. If it was a coupe with SPASM you might need it, but on a Targa you can save the money unless you plan on lowering it.

Also, definitely get the leather dashboard. The standard plastic dash is just sad and not fitting of a car this expensive. As for the Alcantara, I absolutely love it and it's one of the distinguishing features of the GTS, so I highly recommend it. It wears well, stays cool in summer and warm in winter, and keeps you in your seat for spirited driving.

I highly recommend not getting a CF steering wheel. It looks cool, but if you live in a hot climate like I do it'll get unbearably hot in the heat. I had it in my 997TT, and it was painful to get in the car and drive off after it had been sitting in the sun. I almost needed driving gloves. After that experience I would never spec a CF steering wheel again.

Quick Reply: Targa GTS question