Audio in GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 09:04 AM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Audio in GTS

Hello folks
in a sporty environment like gts car, I found. Base audio surprisingly loud and decent sound quality

not sure how good the Bose is , is it lot better than base audio ?

Also down the road has anyone upgraded base to after market and if so worth the effort ?
Old 05-22-2018, 09:32 AM
uury
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by casaforte9
Hello folks
in a sporty environment like gts car, I found. Base audio surprisingly loud and decent sound quality

not sure how good the Bose is , is it lot better than base audio ?

Also down the road has anyone upgraded base to after market and if so worth the effort ?
I've had both the Bose and Burmester systems (albeit in 981 Spyders). Burmester is significantly better than Bose. Not sure what kind of an uplift Bose is over the base system.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:36 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by uury
I've had both the Bose and Burmester systems (albeit in 981 Spyders). Burmester is significantly better than Bose. Not sure what kind of an uplift Bose is over the base system.
I've had Bose and Burmester in previous 991s - the Burmester is absolutely fantastic! I cannot speak to the base vs the Bose, though.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:57 AM
Simonl72
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 35 Posts

I had Bose in first 991.1 then didn’t bother in latest two 991.2’s....cant really tell the difference. The Bose never struck me a particularly good. I wouldn’t bother.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:04 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Look up Nick @ musicar on here. Lots of audio info.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:11 AM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Audio is very subjective. I consider myself an audio file and have been a musician on my life so I think I'm pretty particular. If you are searching for high-end sound, look here: https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...6&postcount=57
Old 05-22-2018, 11:44 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

At least in a T, the stock stereo is 8 speakers, 150 watts. The Bose is 12 speakers 550 watts and the Burmeister is also 12 speakers but with 821 watts.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:48 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

In my back to back testing in 2018 carreras, the base radio and bose are too close to justify the $1600. Base system isnt bad at all and the bose isnt very good.. would be my best attampt to describe them. On the other hand the bose system in my 15 macan turbo pounded hard and sounded great. Loved it and wouldnt do the base system in this application, because its garbage by comparison. I think to make significant upgrade in a 911 one might best be served going aftermarket or speccing the burm. I think you will get more bang for the buck with aftermarket.
I spent the bose money on rear axle steering
Old 05-22-2018, 11:57 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Porsche marketing summary:

Sound Package Plus, with eight loudspeakers and a total output of 150 watts, delivers excellent sound. the amplifier integrated into Porsche Communication Management (PCM) optimally adapts the acoustic pattern in the vehicle interior to the driver and front passenger.
BOSE® Surround Sound System with 12 loudspeakers including center speaker and a subwoofer integrated into the vehicle body. Fully active sound system with a total output of 555 watts. BOSE® Centerpoint® 2 and SurroundStage® technologies enable the system to play stereo recordings in a virtual surround mode. AudioPilot® Noise Compensation Technology ensures that the acoustic pattern is constant and well balanced in all driving conditions.
Burmester® High-End Surround Sound System with a total output of 821 watts and 12 individually controlled loudspeakers. Includes a 300-watt active subwoofer with class D digital amplifier integrated into the vehicle body. Features sophisticated high-end audio components, e.g. special ribbon tweeters (air motion transformers, AMT), and a total diaphragm surface area of more than 1,340 cm² enabling precision playback even at very high sound levels. A wide selection of preset equalizers ensures a first-class audio experience, while a sound conditioner based on microphone technology adapts the sound sensitively and in real time to the driving situation.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:59 AM
vwduud
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Bose in my 991.1 GTS. Out of the box, I don't find it any better than the other modern vehicles that I've owned over the past few years, with the exception of slightly harder hitting bass. Very flat tone and not much clarity at all. While I am subscribed to Sirius XM, the majority of my music comes from my iPhone. In an effort to enjoy the high fidelity that I have enjoyed over the years, I looked for an app that provided an equalizer. I use Korg's iAudioGate. With this app's 10 band graphic equalizer, I am able to scoop out some mids, reducing the "scream" and bringing out clarity. This also helps makes the bass sound less muddy. Overall, it takes any of the sound systems that I use and make them much more enjoyable to listen to (all of my auto audio systems as well as my Bluetooth portable speaker systems). The downside to this is that it only applies to my iTunes music library. FM and Sirius XM are still flat and less than enjoyable to listen to. As a result, I seldom, if ever listen to FM or Sirius XM.

In an attempt to find a solution for FM and Sirius XM, I tried the tweeter upgrade many have tried here on RennList. For my audiophile needs, I found very little to no difference and went back to the stock tweeters. This solution was still far inferior to shaping the sound through the Korg app.

I find that the audio systems found in the modern cars that I've owned simply lack the ability to fine tune the sound that I had become used to either through graphic equalizers (back in aftermarket audio world of the 80's and 90's) or through the use a Digital Sound Processor (DSP) in more modern times. With the Porsches that I've driven over the past few years, they're limited to Bass and Treble controls. Of the few other vehicles that sounded slightly better, they at least offered a MidRange control as well.

The ultimate solution will be an inline DSP with a BlueTooth interface (connected in between the head unit and the amplifiers). I seldom, if ever, change the equalizer profile that I have set in my Korg app. With an app on my phone to access the DSP's equalizer settings, one could now shape the output of all music sources. This, combined with the head units Bass and Treble settings (per music source), would perhaps make the base, Bose and Burmester systems worth their price tags.

While there are companies that make DSP's for factory audio systems, I haven't found one offered for the 991 yet, retaining the stock head unit, amplifiers and speakers. Hopefully soon.

Last edited by vwduud; 05-22-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:07 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

For me the sound package plus which the GTS comes with is enough in the audio department. I do not daily the car. If I want to listen to good music I turn on my hifi stereo at home. Usually the sound I want to hear when driving the GTS comes from the engine, PSE and the sound composer.

Last edited by Mark993TT; 05-22-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:29 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

Base stereo IMO sounds better than Bose (which is artificial to my ears). I went for the Burmeister but I'm an audio geek and kind of picky.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:39 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Base and Bose arent very good. The Burmester is the option people should click if they really like listening to music in their cars.

I didnt spec. my GTS, but it came with the Bose system. Its difference to the base is the sub, which definitely improves the low frequencies, but then you notice the missing highs. The Musicar solution addresses this to some degree.

Honestly, the GTS is so noisy in the cabin music gets drowned out by tire and road road, not to mention the exhaust.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:38 AM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 111 Posts

"I use Korg's iAudioGate."

Is there another name for this ap. I couldn't locate it in the Korg line up of aps in the iPhone app store

thanks
Old 05-23-2018, 11:46 AM
vwduud
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lockie
"I use Korg's iAudioGate."

Is there another name for this ap. I couldn't locate it in the Korg line up of aps in the iPhone app store

thanks
Try searching just on “iAudioGate”. Although it still appears to be a Korg product, I also got the same results you got when searching for it in the App Store.

I did find it with “iAudioGate” though.

Quick Reply: Audio in GTS