Sponsored by:

Dealer Add-Ons: Opinions May 2018

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 11:22 PM
deichenb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Add-Ons: Opinions May 2018

I am excited to have closed on my GTS, to be seen via Euro Delivery on Wednesday(!). (Car thread forthcoming... after Wednesday. Process thread here https://rennlist.com/forums/european...ay-2018-a.html).

I was offered the standard complement of dealer extras at closing today: Pre-Paid Service, Wheel/Tire Warranty, Paintless Dent Removal, Key Replacement. I never purchase any of these, and I deferred them again today.

I’ve got to admit with the center-locks I was tempted by the Wheel/Tire Warranty. But the few times I’ve curbed a wheel in 25 years it’s been an easy, inexpensive repair by a wheel shop of my choosing, and I fear that the dealer would use a lot lizard service.

Rennlit is an educated, careful, enthusiast audience. Not your regular Porsche dealer crowd, and a more attuned set of 911 buyers. Did you guys purchase the add-ons? If so, which? Or did you pass?
Old 05-21-2018, 11:58 PM
hbear
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Passed in wheel/tire warranty. For the cost I’d just self fund any damage (has been very rare in all my years of driving). I have a C4 GTS. Will do pre-paid maintenance as it’s a sizeable savings as the 4th year bill is a doozy. (While I can change my own oil, have no interest in doing it myself as my time is more valuable to me and certainly no interest in doing my own plugs and brake flushes). But that can still be purchased up until your first yearly service so I’m deferring until then.

I did pickup the windshield warranty as it’s pretty much 100% probability of needing a new one every year up here. So a discount there combined with free rock chip repairs made sense for us.

That’s all I did.

Last edited by hbear; 05-22-2018 at 12:55 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:02 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

I passed on everything. Dealer installed clear turn signals in the show room and I arranged for a full PPF myself from a local guy for the week after I picked it up.

BTW if I had agreed to every add-on that they had offered...it would have added over $20k to the price lol.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:45 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I get the tire insurance primarily due to convenience. The tire shops don't carry anything in the size I need, so if I blow a tire, I'm out of a car for about a week. The dealer sells tires for the same as Tire Rack, but they stock them and will give me a loaner car usually. The problem is there's no road hazard when you buy from the dealer, I picked up a nail a week after I got new ones and had to pay again.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:10 AM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot depends on where you are and what they are asking. In my case, I am in the New York City area where potholes are common. Another factor is that this is my only car and it is driven year-round.

I was inclined to reject the tire insurance but went for it when I was offered 5 years coverage of tires, wheels, key loss and paintless dent removal for $2500 I took it.

I've had flats and wheel/tire damage on my previous Porsches and the numbers for the coverage seemed reasonable given the risks. Of course, if you live in some sunny clime where the roads are perfectly maintained, the calculus would be very different. As it would be if the pricing were less favorable -- which, in my experience, it might be.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:07 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Wheel and tire can be worth it depending on your driving area. And the cost of course. For my Lexus, it was $700 for 3 year lease. I got it and it paid for itself twice over.

But you need to do the math.

Everything else...,pass
Old 05-22-2018, 12:23 PM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 195 Posts

I also passed on everything.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:01 PM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 421 Posts

Passed on everything, on every car I've ever owned.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:18 PM
deichenb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, Rennlisters. Your general approach to these high-profit dealer add-ons supports my long-term and continued decision to not purchase them, especially since I will be DD'ing in smooth-road Florida. I'm planning on placing clear turn signals in Zuffenhausen and adding independent PPF after the car arrives in the US.

PS - I am amazed that Hurricane's dealer offered $20K in add-ons. They better have a good espresso machine in that showroom!
Old 05-22-2018, 04:51 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by deichenb
Thanks for the feedback, Rennlisters. Your general approach to these high-profit dealer add-ons supports my long-term and continued decision to not purchase them, especially since I will be DD'ing in smooth-road Florida. I'm planning on placing clear turn signals in Zuffenhausen and adding independent PPF after the car arrives in the US.

PS - I am amazed that Hurricane's dealer offered $20K in add-ons. They better have a good espresso machine in that showroom!
It was a long checklist of items - anything and everything you could imagine. I opted for none, of course!
Old 05-22-2018, 05:00 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

I normally always pass on everything, but in the last few years the scourge of potholes in the North East has grown exponentially and they do not mix well with low profile tires and nice rims.

I just replaced my daily driver BMW and said yes to the tire, rim and dent insurance. Three weeks later and the car is currently sitting in the dealer getting two brand new rims and two brand new tires. I don't know what that would have cost me, but more than likely above the cost of the insurance.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:04 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Nod head.
Smile.
Shake head.
Say 'no thank you, I'll pass'.
Repeat.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:05 PM
rjongco
Rennlist Member