Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Phone Box

Old 05-21-2018, 04:29 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Porsche Phone Box

I just got a nice gray box from Porsche that had a cover letter, a pen, a small book, a brochure and a gray plastic card with my name, the exact model of my new car and my VIN on it. There was also a stiff card titled "Porsche Phone Box-Equipped Vehicles (equipped with Connect or Connect Plus options)."

That card started by warning me that the Porsche Phone Box is subject to "the following requirements" of the FCC. But none were listed.

Next, it alerted me that "This is a CONSUMER device." which sent me back to the discarded packaging to look for the 'this' to which they were referring. But I found nothing more.

The next paragraph warned me that "BEFORE USE, you MUST REGISTER THIS DEVICE with your wireless provider and have your provider's consent." There was more but it didn't amount to much except that it made reference to signal boosters.

I called my sales person to ask about this but he had never heard of it. So I called 1-800-PORSCHE which tried to connect me to ATT (ugh!) but failed. So I called Verizon which is my actual cellular service provider. And they knew what was it was and what to do.

Basically, the Porsche Phone Box is a cell signal booster built into the car that has to be authorized and activated. The card that I received had the information required (in addition to my cell phone number): the manufacturer, the FCC ID, the model, and the serial number (which is the VIN.) With this information, he called the FCC and enabled the device.

I am posting this because I assume that if I was confused, others will also be. I still don't really know if my life will be improved by the Porsche Phone Box but at least I'll know what it is and that it is working.

If anyone knows more about this, please share.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:01 PM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I know that the new phone compartment is a listed option for the 2019 Cayenne but I haven't heard of any current production Porsches equipped with this tech.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:17 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 121 Posts

Hey, how long ago did you purchase your new 911? Just trying to establish a timeline of how long it took you to receive the box after purchasing the vehicle.

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2018, 06:29 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

I ordered the car in November (more of less) but I actually took delivery on April 21. I've been away from home since last Thursday so I can't tell you exactly when the box was delivered.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:17 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info!

I will look out for the package in the mail in a few weeks (hopefully).
Old 05-21-2018, 11:02 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Philip Goughary
I know that the new phone compartment is a listed option for the 2019 Cayenne but I haven't heard of any current production Porsches equipped with this tech.
Fl Flyer - what option did you check to get this feature? It sounds like the new Cayenne Smartphone Compartment option.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:31 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Fl Flyer - what option did you check to get this feature?
I don't know. As you can tell by my initial post, I was caught by surprise.

The car is a C4 (not an S or GTS.) I ordered voice control and Bose but nothing out of the ordinary. Navigation and Apple Play came with the car. All that I can suggest is that this is a new feature that is being rolled out quietly.

It is a very new car. I took delivery on April 21.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:36 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Vehicle tracking device. They contracted with facebook and amazon to sell your every move to them....
Old 05-22-2018, 01:09 AM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

It is supposed to be a signal booster for the iPhone. I didn't know you had to activate it for it to work.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:43 AM
FI Flyer
Racer

Is it documented anywhere?
Old 05-22-2018, 09:37 AM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FI Flyer
Is it documented anywhere?
Yes, it is. And according to the FCC this documentation should be provided at time of sale...

Porsche Phone Book FCC info

Apparently the FCC registration is required legally, but does not "enable or disable" the device. Just gives you the right to use it on a cell network.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:00 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Any pics of what the package from Porsche looks like? Just curious.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:02 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by alex_c
Yes, it is. And according to the FCC this documentation should be provided at time of sale...

Porsche Phone Book FCC info

Apparently the FCC registration is required legally, but does not "enable or disable" the device. Just gives you the right to use it on a cell network.
So it is already "built-into" the car? So you just need to activate it?
Old 05-22-2018, 10:20 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Can you provide pics please? This is really interesting and I'm curious if all Porsches get this or only certain models?
Old 05-22-2018, 10:34 AM
FI Flyer
Racer

So apparently the stiff card that I described in my initial post in this thread was the FCC-required notification. At least, it included the language and even the exact capitalized punctuation specified in the FCC waiver letter provided by Hurricane.

Since Hurricane's new car came over on the same boat as mine -- the subject of a long thread a few months ago -- I wonder if he (or others) have received the same notification as I did and, if so, how was it provided?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche Phone Box