Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Question on front nose scraping. Buying car today!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 05:58 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 589 Posts
Default HELP! Question on front nose scraping. Buying car today!

Hi there.

I'm buying a 991 GTS Cab today, and the front bumper has some scrapes. Before I pick it up I can get it re-painted, but my friend who just bought a 991 911S has a black rubber trim piece that he says can be replaced for like $150. I don't want to just default to a re-spray of the paint, and wonder if the rubber trim would cover the scrapes.

I've attached a picture of the scrape.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:26 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Old 05-20-2018, 06:34 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Not sure what he's talking about. On the 991.1 the lower spoiler is as you see. It removes and can be repainted. I would just have it touched up by a body shop. Odds are, you'll scrape it again. Many do. Good to have an extra painted one on hand for emergencies too.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:40 PM
tvad
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The replaceable spoilers install below the front bumper. This car appears to be missing one. You can tell by looking on the underside of the bumper, There should be two squarish holes 12 inches or so from the left and right ends of the bumper into which the spoiler's tabs would fit. With the apoiler in place, the bumper would likely not have been scraped, but the spoiler get scraped and dinged, and perhaps the owner took it off, or it got pulled off and the owner never noticed.

I live in CA, and buy replacement spoilers from Gaudin Porsche in Las Vegas. Cost shipped is under $210.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:44 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by tvad
The replaceable spoilers install below the front bumper. This car appears to be missing one. You can tell by looking on the underside of the bumper, There should be two squarish holes 12 inches or so from the left and right ends of the bumper into which the spoiler's tabs would fit. With the apoiler in place, the bumper would likely not have been scraped, but the spoiler get scraped and dinged, and perhaps the owner took it off, or it got pulled off and the owner never noticed.

I live in CA, and buy replacement spoilers from Gaudin Porsche in Las Vegas. Cost shipped is under $210.

This is false.

He has the Sport Design bumper not the standard one.

Sport Design bumper does not have the extra black trim piece.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:47 PM
tvad
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
He has the Sport Design bumper not the standard one.

Sport Design bumper does not have the extra black trim piece.
Bummer.

Perhaps a candidate for a Techart Nose Lift system...or stock up on painted replacement spoilers.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:52 PM
STG
Race Director

Cheaper to stock up on a few. The lift is too $$$, plus the car isn't that low. Even GT3 guys don't use the lift many times. Lifts are $$$, and fixing them when they go bad is $$$ as well.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:12 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Cheaper to stock up on a few. The lift is too $$$, plus the car isn't that low. Even GT3 guys don't use the lift many times. Lifts are $$$, and fixing them when they go bad is $$$ as well.
This is correct. Your spoiler lip looks just like my 991.1 GTS. Replacement lip (unpainted) from Suncoast is $250 shipped and then I was getting quotes from local body shops to paint of $300-500. I decided just to leave mine and will replace it if I ever decide to sell. Just drive and enjoy the car. The first time you scrape, which will probably be when you leave the dealership you will say to yourself, no biggie instead of cringing.

Jim
Old 05-20-2018, 07:26 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

I have had cars with low lips before including a Challenge Stradale and I was hoping that with some care it can be avoided but I guess you are saying it's gonna happen? If that's the case I will blow off the dealers offer to re-paint no charge.

There isn't a delrin slider made by anybody that will attach?

Thanks for the replies you guys!!

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
This is correct. Your spoiler lip looks just like my 991.1 GTS. Replacement lip (unpainted) from Suncoast is $250 shipped and then I was getting quotes from local body shops to paint of $300-500. I decided just to leave mine and will replace it if I ever decide to sell. Just drive and enjoy the car. The first time you scrape, which will probably be when you leave the dealership you will say to yourself, no biggie instead of cringing.

Jim
Old 05-20-2018, 07:48 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,874 Likes on 1,358 Posts

You guys need to lean to rattle-can fix that yourself - it's SO easy to do and you don't have to be a master painter in that location. Buy the spray touch up paint, 1 can of Primer , 1 can of color, 1 can of clear ( $ 45 or so). Some 150 / 400 / 600 grit sandpaper (wet), some blue painter's tape and 3M Rubbing Compound (another $ 15). Now for $ 60 or less, you have enough material so re-paint that area about ten times.

1) Sand it down using wet sandpaper in the various grits to get it as smooth as you want (15 min)

2) Tape it off (2 min)

3) Spray the primer, sand again, spray primer, sand again. (15 min)

4) Spray two coats of color coat - not too thick ( 20 min including dry time)

5) Spray two coats of clear - not too thick (20 min including dry time

6) pull the tape off.

7) a day or two later come in with 3M rubbing compound and after 15 min you're done.

Repeat as necessary for scrapes.
The following users liked this post:
UH2 (11-06-2021)

Quick Reply: HELP! Question on front nose scraping. Buying car today!