Sponsored by:

New cars nitrogen in tires?

Old 05-22-2018, 09:09 PM
eagle1960
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
good gosh I just started this thread to see if the green caps meant nitrogen.
Not to start a technical discussion on the merits of using nitrogen or not. LOL
I am personally aware of its properties. Lots of info presented in this thread!
Thank God you didn't ask an oil question.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:16 PM
User

Originally Posted by Leader View Post
The green valve caps mean nitrogen. Most likely, the dealer “topped off” your already inflated tires with nitrogen when prepping the car for delivery. I think it’s highly unlikely they bled your tires empty and refilled them completely with 100% nitrogen.
Either way, it’s far from necessary that you do future fill ups with nitrogen. Compressed air is just fine and available (for free) lots of places.
Actually, if you’ve used a professional grade nitrogen machine or completed a PDI before, you’d know the tires come with at least 20 PSI more than the ratings to prevent flat spots. The professional systems sucks the oxygen out, fills it with nitrogen, sucks out again, and reinstalls full nitrogen. That’s how it works and “topping up” a new car with nitrogen doesn’t make sense.

Scott,
That is how your car had the nitrogen installed and the green caps just make others aware if it’s outside the shop.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:15 PM
Leader
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 81911 View Post

Actually, if you’ve used a professional grade nitrogen machine or completed a PDI before, you’d know the tires come with at least 20 PSI more than the ratings to prevent flat spots. The professional systems sucks the oxygen out, fills it with nitrogen, sucks out again, and reinstalls full nitrogen. That’s how it works and “topping up” a new car with nitrogen doesn’t make sense.

I wasn't aware of this process. I've never seen a Porsche dealer do an "air swap" on a car with tires already mounted on the wheels.

Last edited by Leader; 05-22-2018 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:54 PM
User

Originally Posted by Leader View Post
I wasn't aware of this process. I've never seen a Porsche dealer do an "air swap" on a car with tires already mounted on the wheels.
The machine is about 5 feet tall. Typically, it’s done while the car is in the air and the wheels and tires are off the ground and other inspections are occurring.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:06 PM
bkrantz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3 View Post
If you're going to use nitrogen, make sure it is German grade nitrogen. Anything else will void your warranty.
Actually, Porsche-approved only, please. And you must match N0, N1, etc. with the tire spec.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:15 PM
abe
User

I am going to buy green caps so everyone knows I have soooo much money I can waste $100 on this nitrogen stuff... I am sooo cool.....I got nitrogen filled tires and I am sooooo smart to have that.
Hopefully the green caps are not too expensive.

Abe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New cars nitrogen in tires?

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: