Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC Sport v3 - 991.2 Updated Yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 07:12 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,189 Likes on 628 Posts

Porsche does a great job at collecting data, however the stock PASM is not using all of it. Its barely using any of it. The after market DSC takes advantage of all of the collected data in real time.

Things that were immediately noticeable was that I could drive in Sport mode on the street. With the stock PASM it was too what I would call skippy. Felt too stiff like it would skip across bumps and loose traction. With the DSC, Sport is my preferred mode. The car sits so flat, and yet it rides the bumps effectively. I never thought normal mode was much different until a few months on sport and then hit a rough patch of road, and switched back and it was very smooth.

So there is a large difference, but what is weird is the car still handles well in normal mode.

At the track is the biggest difference. Its when you really start to push the car, it becomes far more obvious of the improvements. Especially in transitions. The other thing is anti dive, anti squat. Stock the car nose dives shockingly with the soft stock springs. DSC really reduces that. Its a no brainer mod.

Oh I have a sun roof, but I never use it. You get an error, but it goes away if you close the roof. I have an earlier V3, and I don't have the up date yet. Haven't really needed it since I don't open the roof. I will get around to it one day.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:31 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 777 Posts

I have one on my car fal rws and its amazing
Old 01-06-2019, 01:09 PM
JR956678
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by eecsdude
It would make much more sense to me if the dsc module had additional sensors or inputs, but for the 991, it doesn't seem to be the case. Would be great to get some more insight on this.
Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Porsche does a great job at collecting data, however the stock PASM is not using all of it. Its barely using any of it. The after market DSC takes advantage of all of the collected data in real time..
As 4 Point 0 alludes, not all of the data collected by the factory PASM sensors is used, nor is it used to its full extent. An example of this is the ride height sensor data is filtered by the factory controller to an average for all 4 wheels and the averaged data is used to set an averaged parameter. for all 4 shocks. But the V3 controller has additional computing power to be able to take averaged data from the vehicle sensors and split it into individual "per shock" data so that each shock can be individually "tuned" for optimum handling dynamically.

I previously posted that " The way I look at this is that Porsche has built a ton of capability into the platform - adjustable shocks and motor mounts - and includes sensors that detect what the car and suspension components are doing (including a 3 axis accelerometer) - and then puts in a controller that does little more than pick a static setting for stiffness that runs all the time on all 4 corners no matter what the car is actually being called upon to do. So much capability is left on the table and not used. The DSC V3 controller uses this data to actively manage the car's suspension and allows the car to run stiffer than Sport mode and softer than Normal mode and make the adjustments on demand / when needed. "

So in essence the DSC controller does use more data to achieve a more sophisticated solution but it does this less by adding additional sensors and more by simply using data from the factory sensors that is not used by the factory controller.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:18 PM
koven
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 172 Posts

Are the improvements vs stock PASM something that can be felt on everyday driving on bumpy roads? Or more for cornering on track/twisty mountain roads?
Old 05-05-2019, 07:43 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by koven
Are the improvements vs stock PASM something that can be felt on everyday driving on bumpy roads? Or more for cornering on track/twisty mountain roads?
Both. I noticed a difference as soon as I backed out of my driveway.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:52 AM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

It's subtle in everyday motoring about, and more noticeable cornering a lot flatter under some lateral force. A no brainer and relatively easy to install yourself if you can get the bigger connector off the old unit
Old 05-06-2019, 07:22 AM
JR956678
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by koven
In my opinion and experience, both types of driving benefit. A more compliant and softer "feeling" suspension is immediately apparent on any type of road during "non spirited" driving - to be expected because initial shock settings are softer than the stock PASM controller uses. But the harder you push the car the stiffer the shocks get - ultimately becoming stiffer than what the stock PASM controller produces - so handling and cornering during spirited driving benefit.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:08 AM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Both. I noticed a difference as soon as I backed out of my driveway.
did you use the stock profile?
Old 05-06-2019, 10:16 AM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by JR956678
In my opinion and experience, both types of driving benefit. A more compliant and softer "feeling" suspension is immediately apparent on any type of road during "non spirited" driving - to be expected because initial shock settings are softer than the stock PASM controller uses. But the harder you push the car the stiffer the shocks get - ultimately becoming stiffer than what the stock PASM controller produces - so handling and cornering during spirited driving benefit.
This mirrors my experience as well. Love mine.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:21 PM
idrachman
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking DSC Sport on 911.1 S - initial feedback updated

Impressive device. Makes it a different car. Getting factory component unplugged took major patience and effort - over 6 minutes for me, even though I saw it was an angled locking mechanism. The car is much more compliant, tolerable over bumps/holes in normal driving and is much more responsive in sport mode and feels more planted in both modes. Only difference otherwise (not an issue) is now I must press both Sport Plus and PASM buttons when before by pushing Sport Plus it activated sport PASM.
Yesterday, took the car on a highway with some nice high speed turns/entrance ramps/exit ramps. Car was flat, no body roll like before and much more compliant over bumps/holes, where in the past on the exact roads the car was less stable (in either mode). Ride quality is vastly more comfortable.

Last edited by idrachman; 05-12-2019 at 07:42 AM. Reason: added more content
Old 05-11-2019, 01:58 AM
Bry5on
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

As this can control the dynamic engine mounts, does that mean it's possible to add them to a non-SC car? You'd just need the wiring harness, right?
Old 05-16-2019, 06:01 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Originally Posted by Bry5on
As this can control the dynamic engine mounts, does that mean it's possible to add them to a non-SC car? You'd just need the wiring harness, right?
I wouldn't count on it... Someone recently posted a thread about the extremely high cost of replacement dynamic engine mounts, and also pointed out that the PET diagrams also show quite a few different mounting components when he was considering replacing them with non-dynamic mounts...

Quick Reply: DSC Sport v3 - 991.2 Updated Yet?