Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC Sport v3 - 991.2 Updated Yet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 01:41 PM
Maverick11
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts
Default DSC Sport v3 - 991.2 Updated Yet?

Apologies if I missed this but has the issue for cars with FAL and Sunroof been fixed yet?

Also, Anyone using the v3 on a .2? How do you like it?
Old 05-18-2018, 04:06 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm also curious. I've been wanting this module but its gonna interfere with FAL.

What's the sunroof issue?
Old 05-19-2018, 11:58 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 303 Posts

I'm running the V3 on my .1 GTS with sunroof but no FAL - highly recommended!
Old 05-19-2018, 02:50 PM
Maverick11
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

RDCR, how doesnt the car do in comfort mode? Have heard out of the box settings are a bit bouncy but sport mode is more driveable.

Think the sunroof issue may just be a .2 problem. Or maybe its only an issue in conjunction with FAL. Cant recall the specifics but remeber it being brought up in a thread a while back.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:41 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 303 Posts

Well compared to the GT4 which had the Tarett spring upgrade and monoballs all the way around it feels pretty plush but I can't say I noticed any before / after differences in the non sport setting. My car does have SPASM.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:46 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

just call tom at tpc and ask him
Old 09-07-2018, 08:10 AM
JR956678
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick11
Apologies if I missed this but has the issue for cars with FAL and Sunroof been fixed yet?

It was posted on 8/26/18 by JW1 (an "early adopter" affected by the problem) that he had received a module with a firmware update that fixes the problem (I confirmed this with Tom via email). This prompted me to order one (the order page now asks if you have FAL and / or Sunroof to make sure you get the right firmware).

I've had the DSC V3 on my 2017 991.2 TTS with FAL and Sunroof for a little over a week and absolutely love it. It really transforms the car.

Last edited by JR956678; 09-07-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:05 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

Can someone explain to me what this actually does? Transforms the car sounds great but, how? THX
Old 09-07-2018, 10:19 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

DSC is a new Suspension Control Module/Computer. After reading review's on the GT4 and GT3 forum, I purchased one before my car arrived. Drove the car for two weeks with Porsche standard PASM and then installed the DSC. Amazing and the statement on their web page sums it up perfectly.

https://www.dscsport.com/porsche/
Old 09-07-2018, 05:08 PM
JR956678
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Can someone explain to me what this actually does? Transforms the car sounds great but, how? THX
In a nutshell, it dynamically adjusts the vehicle's electronically adjustable suspension components (shocks and dynamic engine mounts) on the fly - reacting to things like g forces the car is experiencing, throttle position, brake fluid pressure. It stiffens things up when necessary and softens them when not necessary. On the track you can get a flatter more stable platform which increases traction and allows the car to be driven harder (and reduces lap times) and on the street it allows for softer damping (for a more comfortable ride) but still controls body roll when cornering, nose dive when braking and squat when accelerating. The factory PASM controller scratches the surface of an active suspension; the DSC does a much deeper dive into the car's real capabilities.

Last edited by JR956678; 09-08-2018 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:06 PM
francisluu
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

A hugely simplified explanation that glosses over a ton of detail and nuance:

- Factory setup has two suspension modes — normal and sport. Normal is soft-ish, sport is firmer.
- The factory dampers have the ability to be adjusted through a range of stiffness. Let's just say for this example normal is 30%, sport is 70%.
- The DSC module lets you change these stiffness settings for the dampers, not just as a static value for these two modes but based on cornering g-forces (among other things). So, 0g --> 1g can see a damper adjustment range of 20% to 100% stiffness, all controlled in real-time. The harder you corner, the stiffer the dampers become.
- Factory PASM controller (which you swap out and replace with the DSC module) doesn't really have this real-time adjustment based on cornering G force. This is what people say about the difference between passive and active suspension — set at one stiffness value vs constantly variable depending on G force.
- You can reduce the front-end diving under hard braking by the same calibration of cornering G affecting damper stiffness, but instead on the fore/aft G force value. Same with squat in the rear as you accelerate.

Again, lots of details left out but that's the gist of it from my own personal experience.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:09 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 514 Posts

has the issue for cars with FAL and Sunroof been fixed yet?
Yes!

We have received very positive feedbacks from 991.2 Carrera, Carrera S, Turbo, Turbo S and GT3 owners.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:08 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

I bought a DSC for my .2 GTS after the software fix. Although I have only driven it once since then, the day I drove it I worked the hell out of the FAL and the sunroof. Everything worked perfectly and I’m happy. You need to load the car up with lateral g to really appreciate what DSC does for you. For me, what DSC does vs price point makes it a bargain. YMMV
Old 09-08-2018, 11:23 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Yes!

We have received very positive feedbacks from 991.2 Carrera, Carrera S, Turbo, Turbo S and GT3 owners.
and T owners.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:49 AM
eecsdude
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by francisluu
A hugely simplified explanation that glosses over a ton of detail and nuance:

- Factory setup has two suspension modes — normal and sport. Normal is soft-ish, sport is firmer.
- The factory dampers have the ability to be adjusted through a range of stiffness. Let's just say for this example normal is 30%, sport is 70%.
- The DSC module lets you change these stiffness settings for the dampers, not just as a static value for these two modes but based on cornering g-forces (among other things). So, 0g --> 1g can see a damper adjustment range of 20% to 100% stiffness, all controlled in real-time. The harder you corner, the stiffer the dampers become.
- Factory PASM controller (which you swap out and replace with the DSC module) doesn't really have this real-time adjustment based on cornering G force. This is what people say about the difference between passive and active suspension — set at one stiffness value vs constantly variable depending on G force.
- You can reduce the front-end diving under hard braking by the same calibration of cornering G affecting damper stiffness, but instead on the fore/aft G force value. Same with squat in the rear as you accelerate.

Again, lots of details left out but that's the gist of it from my own personal experience.
My research on dsc basically found explanations matching what you described, but I still don't get the difference between that and oem pasm. https://youtu.be/5a6NfyHUbFU according to this marketing video for the 997, pasm is actively monitoring road conditions and driver input to adjust the dampers. So at the end of the day, both systems are doing the same thing, but just a different tune? That makes me wonder why Porsche didn't tune it the "right" way to begin with. And why a 3rd party can do a much better job. It would make much more sense to me if the dsc module had additional sensors or inputs, but for the 991, it doesn't seem to be the case. Would be great to get some more insight on this.

Quick Reply: DSC Sport v3 - 991.2 Updated Yet?