Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Where does map data reside? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1069567-where-does-map-data-reside.html)

shammerman 05-18-2018 12:48 PM

Where does map data reside?

Where does the GPS Navigation map data reside? Is it in computer memory in the car or does the car get it through the antenna in real time? My 991.1 will not recognize my home address (or any addresses on my street) in the navigation system. I have confirmed the same with two other 991.1 cars so it is not specific to my car. The house/neighborhood was built in 2004 and what is interesting is in my previous car (2011 997.2) it was fine. Not the end of the world, but I would be interested to find out if this can be corrected. The dealership has refreshed the navigation to the most recent update available for them.

Valvefloat991 05-18-2018 03:12 PM

Mine doesn't recognize my home address either, as the house is in a new development that wasn't completed until several months after the car was built. I'm pretty sure the map database is in the car, which is why it isn't updated. However that also means that you don't have to be a cell-zone in order to use the NAV system, unlike Waze and other phone-base NAV systems (which, on the other hand, do know where my house is).

Of course, this scheme also provides Porsche with the opportunity to sell us an overpriced map database upgrade very few years.

chuck911 05-18-2018 07:25 PM

Remember, it took Porsche 20 years to include cup holders. Your neighborhood should show up in.... 2024.

John Mclane 05-18-2018 07:30 PM

Allegedly you can download an update online. I did for the cayenne, didn't work on the 911
Now, how updated is the update, that's a different story.

Using online services you can do a google based search, which should be decently updated.
EDIT- as pointed below, the above is good for the 991.2

Gordon Shumway 05-18-2018 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by chuck911 (Post 15019461)
Remember, it took Porsche 20 years to include cup holders. Your neighborhood should show up in.... 2024.

And based on the utility of the cup holders, your neighborhood will be in the wrong place. https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...3deb61d9ad.gif

Mr. Big 05-18-2018 09:14 PM

StormRune 05-18-2018 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by John Mclane (Post 15019474)
Allegedly you can download an update online. I did for the cayenne, didn't work on the 911

Using online services you can do a google based search, which should be decently updated.

Those answers only work on a 991.2 or other PCM 4 car. OP has a 911.1

OP, the dealer will be able to update your car to latest for a fee. Normally updating the maps also updates the firmware if there is a firmware update available. New maps are generally released once a year, so if it turns out it is near the end of the prior year... wait for the next one to be released and go for that. The dealer's part guy should be able to find out when the latest release date was. Of course there is no promise your house will be on the latest one either.

shammerman 05-19-2018 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by StormRune (Post 15019686)
Those answers only work on a 991.2 or other PCM 4 car. OP has a 911.1

OP, the dealer will be able to update your car to latest for a fee. Normally updating the maps also updates the firmware if there is a firmware update available. New maps are generally released once a year, so if it turns out it is near the end of the prior year... wait for the next one to be released and go for that. The dealer's part guy should be able to find out when the latest release date was. Of course there is no promise your house will be on the latest one either.

Thanks - it was just updated (free) a few weeks ago. I just find it very interesting that the 2011 997.2 had it but the newer car doesn't and that's why I wanted to find out how this all works. I do not believe anybody has really yet answered my question with 100% certainty regarding where the map/address data resides.

gellie 05-19-2018 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by John Mclane (Post 15019474)

EDIT- as pointed below, the above is good for the 991.2

How do you update it online for a 991.2?

StormRune 05-19-2018 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by shammerman (Post 15020252)
Thanks - it was just updated (free) a few weeks ago. I just find it very interesting that the 2011 997.2 had it but the newer car doesn't and that's why I wanted to find out how this all works. I do not believe anybody has really yet answered my question with 100% certainty regarding where the map/address data resides.

The 991.1 PCM has a 40GB hard drive according to various snippets on the internet... including some mention of it on this page from SunCoast's web site:
"Navigation module with hard drive and map data for the respective countries"
See https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/NAV991.html

I believe the only way to get the navigation update on a 991.1 is to have it updated through a PIWIS. (On 997 models it was done through DVDs).

StormRune 05-19-2018 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by gellie (Post 15020271)
How do you update it online for a 991.2?

You have to be connected to an external WiFi or have cellular data service with the SIM installed (or E-Sim in a later 2018).

Then from the PCM with Nav selected... please the Opt button, then Set Nav. You should see "Navigation Database Update" and select that. Then select "Online Update". It will let you know if there is one available. I haven't seen one for mine yet but the car is only about 9 months old.

Valvefloat991 05-19-2018 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by StormRune (Post 15020398)
You have to be connected to an external WiFi or have cellular data service with the SIM installed (or E-Sim in a later 2018).

Then from the PCM with Nav selected... please the Opt button, then Set Nav. You should see "Navigation Database Update" and select that. Then select "Online Update". It will let you know if there is one available. I haven't seen one for mine yet but the car is only about 9 months old.

How do you connect to an external WiFi?

CSK 911 C4S 05-19-2018 11:45 AM

Does are cars have navigation? :rolleyes:

I want to say it's truly worthless but it can get you out of a jam if you are lost on the back roads when you have no data to work google maps on your phone.

Other than that.... google maps take care of my nav and traffic needs.

StormRune 05-19-2018 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991 (Post 15020471)
How do you connect to an external WiFi?

Once the car is close enough to the WiFi at your home or work, in the lower left of the screen press on the connectivity icon and a WiFi selection menu will pop up. If you have a SIM installed the car will prefer it, so you would need to temporarily pop it partway out so that the WiFi option will work (the car will give you this warning).

In the photo below you see the car is currently connected to a weak LTE signal, but if I popped out the SIM the icon would change and a WiFi connection would be possible.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c1346bdb40.jpg

StormRune 05-19-2018 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S (Post 15020477)
Does are cars have navigation? :rolleyes:

I want to say it's truly worthless but it can get you out of a jam if you are lost on the back roads when you have no data to work google maps on your phone.

Other than that.... google maps take care of my nav and traffic needs.

On the 991.2, you can opt to use Google Maps on the PCM display along with its online search functions and traffic overlays (I prefer it over the Porsche one and the Apple CarPlay one... and I'm even an Apple developer).

It is more convenient to glance at than a phone if you don't mind paying for the car's data connection or just tether to you phone's HotSpot. It shows up in the MFD Nav window too along with turn-by-turn audio.

The annoying thing with the phone HotSpot approach is it has to be manually reselected when you restart the car each time, while with the SIM the hookup to data is automatic.