Sponsored by:

Where does map data reside?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 07:42 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
On the 991.2, you can opt to use Google Maps on the PCM display along with its online search functions and traffic overlays (I prefer it over the Porsche one and the Apple CarPlay one... and I'm even an Apple developer).

It is more convenient to glance at than a phone if you don't mind paying for the car's data connection or just tether to you phone's HotSpot. It shows up in the MFD Nav window too along with turn-by-turn audio.

The annoying thing with the phone HotSpot approach is it has to be manually reselected when you restart the car each time, while with the SIM the hookup to data is automatic.
I successfully connected my ca, parked in the garage,r to my home WiFiper your instructions. Thanks very much.

However, when I tried to update the map I got to the "Set Nav" screen, but didn't see any "Online Update" option. My car is a 2017 991.2, delivered in August 2017. Is this feature only on 2018 models?
Old 05-21-2018, 08:49 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
I successfully connected my ca, parked in the garage,r to my home WiFiper your instructions. Thanks very much.

However, when I tried to update the map I got to the "Set Nav" screen, but didn't see any "Online Update" option. My car is a 2017 991.2, delivered in August 2017. Is this feature only on 2018 models?
Mine is a 2017 as well. From the Set Nav screen, you should have seen a Navigation Database Update option. After selecting that I would have expected to see the Online Update selection available. I just went and verified the sequence and took photos to be sure I didn't miss a step.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:54 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Maps are always kept neatly folded in the glove compartment.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:17 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

BTW. I just checked that the update options are the same whether you are using a SIM or the WiFi connection and the options came up the same way. Also just FYI, I get the message "No update files found for this vehicle" when I do the update. I know when I had the dealer do an update using DVDs back in the 997 days I discovered that these don't come around terribly often... certainly no more than once a year.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:31 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Mine is a 2017 as well. From the Set Nav screen, you should have seen a Navigation Database Update option. After selecting that I would have expected to see the Online Update selection available. I just went and verified the sequence and took photos to be sure I didn't miss a step.

Thanks for the quick response. I was out of town for a couple of days and couldn't get back. But I just went outside and tried your instruction again. Here are my options from the Set Nav screen. As you can see, I have a decent WiFi connection:

As you can see, I have a decent WiFi connection.

The top half of my Set Nav options.

The bottom half of my Set Nav options.
This is a 991.2, so I don't know what my problem is. Perhaps I will take the last resort and consult the manual.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:28 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
Thanks for the quick response. I was out of town for a couple of days and couldn't get back. But I just went outside and tried your instruction again. Here are my options from the Set Nav screen. As you can see, I have a decent WiFi connection:
As you can see, I have a decent WiFi connection.
The top half of my Set Nav options.
The bottom half of my Set Nav options.
This is a 991.2, so I don't know what my problem is. Perhaps I will take the last resort and consult the manual.
Well, I certainly didn't expect it to be missing. Here's a link to the applicable manual page that lists it: http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...ation-settings

Poking around a bit more, it appears it is part of the Navigation Plus package, which is part of the Navigation and Infotainment package ($205/yr) as described here: https://connect-store.porsche.com/us...nfotainment_v2

This includes real-time-traffic data and satellite maps as well as online map updates. It is a paid service, but the first year of that was included with your car for free and the car has Connect Plus. Is the car more than a year old? Maybe it has expired and the option disappears when the services aren't active? A guess a quick test is to see is if your Google Earth satellite map selection is working on the map layers.

Quick Reply: Where does map data reside?