Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the underside of my 911 (engine) sounds like yours (video of yours esp welcome)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 05:54 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Does the underside of my 911 (engine) sounds like yours (video of yours esp welcome)?

Excuse my obsessive “sound dissecting” posts but my CPO is up soon (I may get extended warranty anyway, though not sure) AND I’m OCD. So naturally I want to source fellow owners for your own “diagnostics” along with the dealer.

Here is a video of the underside of my car. This SEEMS normal as flat sixes tend to have loud “ticking” sounds, but when you really stick your head under the rear valance of mine, there’s an extra fast “tick/thwupping” sound that is far more rapid than the typical “idle tick BPM” (turn volume up to make it out). It’s obviously some part down there that spins rapidly and makes the coinciding sound. However, if you guys can check under yours (.1’s preferably, and 3.4’s even more preferably) or tell me if it sounds normal, I’d really appreciate it.

Last edited by K-A; 05-18-2018 at 06:41 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:36 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Sounds normal to me.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:42 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by subshooter
Sounds normal to me.
Thanks, sub.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:25 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Always check your oil level but sounds like a normal Porsche.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:34 AM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

If you’re concerned about strange sounds from your Porsche, you’re not gonna have a good time. Sounds perfectly normal.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:55 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Highyo
If you’re concerned about strange sounds from your Porsche, you’re not gonna have a good time. Sounds perfectly normal.
Hahaha, how true this is. I remember before buying my 911, on the Macan forums an experienced 911 owner said that "Macan buyers think they can buy 911's and expect them to act like Macan's or Lexus's, they'll be at the dealer every day for random sounds."

Guess I'm living it.

Thanks guys. Funny as it sounds (though not surprising for anyone who's been "around the block") I trust the ears of forum members experienced with such cars, over many mechanics.

What really got me piqued was this thread, but his sounds more like a "clatter" which obviously is a different scenario.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9660...ing-noise.html

Last edited by K-A; 05-18-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:29 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

K-A, you keep freaking out about stuff. I think owning an out of warranty Porsche is going to be your end. Chill.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:38 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by LexVan
K-A, you keep freaking out about stuff. I think owning an out of warranty Porsche is going to be your end. Chill.
LMAO. Can't argue that.
To be honest, I can't wait until the car is out of warranty so I can just get on with it. It's this "fine tooth comb" before warranty's up era where I feel like it's my duty to get everything checked that's annoying.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:39 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Have owned several out of warranty Porsche's that I had kept a long time without any significant issues beyond regular maintenance. Do all the right scheduled maintenance, change the oil on the right frequency or earlier and drive it so it's not just sitting there. They will go over 100k miles without serious problems most times.
Biggest problem I have is I want to keep changing. But my recent ride will be a long term keeper that I will eventually turn over to my son.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:46 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Have owned several out of warranty Porsche's that I had kept a long time without any significant issues beyond regular maintenance. Do all the right scheduled maintenance, change the oil on the right frequency or earlier and drive it so it's not just sitting there. They will go over 100k miles without serious problems most times.
Biggest problem I have is I want to keep changing. But my recent ride will be a long term keeper that I will eventually turn over to my son.
Nice. Getting a new PDK on mine makes me feel a ton better about going out of warranty too. And if I want an extended warranty, Fidelity which is well vouched for is quite reasonable for long term plans, with the RL member discount.

While I have you guys here, can you tell me if these little "tick" sounds, sound like nothing or anything to you (not referencing the sound I was asking about in the first video, as this one is more intermittent)? The sound I'm referencing is the sound that's like what catalytic converters sound like when an engine is turned off. The sound in question comes in at 1,2, and 7 seconds in this video....
(and yes I know I'm a freak. But if I ever do sell this car, which I don't plan to for a very long time if at all, buyer rest assured I very literally "freaked out about and looked into every sound ).

Old 05-18-2018, 09:09 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Sounds normal to me.
I remember my father in law asking me "is that normal?" Yes, on my third 991, they make all kinds of noises lol...

Sounds normal to me, too.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:00 AM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

What really got me piqued was this thread, but his sounds more like a "clatter" which obviously is a different scenario.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9660...ing-noise.html
Too funny, after reading the same thread yesterday I also stuck my head in there for a listen (after 25min ride).

Sounded normal to me but what do I know...
Old 05-18-2018, 11:17 AM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Don't you have a center muffler delete? I just installed a Sharkwerks this week and notice a pronounced vibration during idle sporadically...not sure why it is only present sometimes...
Old 05-18-2018, 12:17 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by tse
Too funny, after reading the same thread yesterday I also stuck my head in there for a listen (after 25min ride).

Sounded normal to me but what do I know...
Hahaha. You and I both. Good to know. Seems like every 911 video at idle I listen to sounds like that. But that really extra fast spinning tick/thwap you can only really hear with your head down there (that’s the one I’m really curious about).

Originally Posted by dkmesa
Don't you have a center muffler delete? I just installed a Sharkwerks this week and notice a pronounced vibration during idle sporadically...not sure why it is only present sometimes...
Yeah, good point. The X Pipe does seem to exacerbate the sounds. For the record, I love all those mechanical ticks and clicks. As long as they’re normal, lol.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:26 PM
rcristobal
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Trade in your car for 991.2. Turbo's are quieter.

Quick Reply: Does the underside of my 911 (engine) sounds like yours (video of yours esp welcome)?