Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera T Spolier Up/Down parameters

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 05:51 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

In any Carrera with SPASM the spoiler lifts higher too so it is easily seen on my S as well.

The wing raises on a 991.2 when the car decides the intercoolers would benefit from more air flow... typically when you are being a bit more aggressive in acceleration (not necessarily flooring it) and the turbos are pressurizing and thus heating the intake charge.

Some air gets to the intercoolers with the spoiler down via the vertical slots in the deck lid, but when the spoiler is raised the intakes are fully uncovered. Another change on a 991.2 is the construction of the air dam that forms under the spoiler (and behind the intercooler intakes) when raised...forcing the air in front of the spoiler more forcefully down into the intakes.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:13 PM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Wing Commander
A crime not to order LWBs in your T!
A crime to order PDK!
A crime to order a sunroof!

Glad he can't send me to jail. I thought he was also going to lock up anyone that didn't go for the 'launch color' Racing Yellow... He lightened up towards the end. :-)
Old 05-17-2018, 06:15 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,175 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
In any Carrera with SPASM the spoiler lifts higher too so it is easily seen on my S as well.

The wing raises on a 991.2 when the car decides the intercoolers would benefit from more air flow... typically when you are being a bit more aggressive in acceleration (not necessarily flooring it) and the turbos are pressurizing and thus heating the intake charge.

Some air gets to the intercoolers with the spoiler down via the vertical slots in the deck lid, but when the spoiler is raised the intakes are fully uncovered. Another change on a 991.2 is the construction of the air dam that forms under the spoiler (and behind the intercooler intakes) when raised...forcing the air in front of the spoiler more forcefully down into the intakes.

Thank you. We never stop learning.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:17 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
Glad he can't send me to jail. I thought he was also going to lock up anyone that didn't go for the 'launch color' Racing Yellow... He lightened up towards the end. :-)

"It's not a Carrera T, it's a Club Sport, so should be white, with black wheels, and no silly side stripe decals, no sunroof, no PDK, no rear seat and nothing but LWBs!!"
Old 05-17-2018, 06:20 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

LWB's in a track car? Yes. In a touring, backroads car....mmmm nah not so much imo. Had pole positions in a '98 C4S and they wren't all that practical.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:22 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Completely agree. My Carrera T is my sole car and a daily driver. Very happy with the Sport Seats Plus 4-ways.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:15 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

“Gobspoilered!”

Definition: when you realize that no one one Rennlist has RTFM!
Old 05-17-2018, 08:15 PM
achtung6
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Your car is a magical majestic thing of beauty! It will do as it pleases. The world will just have to live with it wanting to prance around with ......an erect spoiler.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:18 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
“Gobspoilered!”

Definition: when you realize that no one one Rennlist has RTFM!
Most owners haven't bothered to read the manual as it is time consuming and unnecessary.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:55 PM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Sorry... Not sure I am following you. Here's what the manual states. Which seems to be what our common expectation was, and is NOT what is happening.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:58 PM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

But, on a more serious note.

I think there are a few folks out there (NOT RL'ers, of course) who are RTFM-lacking around....

Old 05-18-2018, 09:08 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
Sorry... Not sure I am following you. Here's what the manual states. Which seems to be what our common expectation was, and is NOT what is happening.

Well, that is interesting because my manual says that the spoiler activates at 56 mph. I was surprised when reading this as my other Porsche (Cayman) activates around 70 mph.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:25 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Yeah, interestingly the user's manual doesn't call out the intercooler-related behavior of the spoiler but the Technic's manual has this section on page 35, with the part of interest for this topic in the second section in bold. From a service viewpoint, the third section is a downer but makes sense. That's why they added the "keep the spoiler down when parked" section in the 991.2 manual since raising it exposes the intake grates and their fairly large mesh openings.
----------
Charge-air cooling
The turbo engines of the 911 Carrera model year 2017 models are equipped with efficient charge-air cooling. With two charge-air coolers located at the sides in the rear, a harmonious design (without additional air intakes in the rear side sections) and effective charge-air cooling with a high level of efficiency could be achieved through a vehicle-integrated solution.

The charge air, which is heated to 248° F (120° C) (up to a maximum of 302° F 150° C) due to compression is cooled down by up to 158° F (70° C). Reducing the charge-air temperature results in a greater air mass being contained in the same volume of air. Without charge-air cooling, approx. 80 hp (60 kW) of the maximum engine power would be lacking due to the lower air mass. With charge-air cooling, a proportionally larger amount of fuel can be burned. This significantly increases the fresh mixture energy and the efficiency of the turbo engine and not only improves power and torque, but also reduces fuel consumption and CO2 emissions.

Cooling of the charge air is performed via two charge-air coolers installed in the rear side sections, through which the ambient air flows. The cooling air enters via the rear lid. From there, it flows through the cooling-air duct to the right and left charge-air coolers and exits again at the right and left sides of the lower rear apron.

Controlling the cooling air
For thermodynamic support under all operating conditions, the rear spoiler can be extended to the aerodynamic nominal position at speeds below 75 mph (120 km/h) in order to guide the cooling air to the charge-air coolers if required. Due to the position of the rear spoiler and the cooling air duct intakes in front of it, a ram pressure is generated, through which the cooling performance of the charge-air coolers can be increased if necessary. With this additional function, the rear spoiler on the 911 Carrera model year 2017 models has not only an aerodynamic, but also a thermodynamic charge-air cooler function.

Service
Both charge-air coolers must be checked for soiling and cleaned if necessary. For this purpose: both tail lights and the left and right plugs (1) must be removed. A visual inspection should then be performed using a flashlight and a mirror. Dirt must be removed through cleaning, e.g. vacuuming, if necessary.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:20 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Yeah, interestingly the user's manual doesn't call out the intercooler-related behavior of the spoiler but the Technic's manual has this section on page 35, with the part of interest for this topic in the second section in bold. From a service viewpoint, the third section is a downer but makes sense. That's why they added the "keep the spoiler down when parked" section in the 991.2 manual since raising it exposes the intake grates and their fairly large mesh openings.
----------
Charge-air cooling
The turbo engines of the 911 Carrera model year 2017 models are equipped with efficient charge-air cooling. With two charge-air coolers located at the sides in the rear, a harmonious design (without additional air intakes in the rear side sections) and effective charge-air cooling with a high level of efficiency could be achieved through a vehicle-integrated solution.

The charge air, which is heated to 248° F (120° C) (up to a maximum of 302° F 150° C) due to compression is cooled down by up to 158° F (70° C). Reducing the charge-air temperature results in a greater air mass being contained in the same volume of air. Without charge-air cooling, approx. 80 hp (60 kW) of the maximum engine power would be lacking due to the lower air mass. With charge-air cooling, a proportionally larger amount of fuel can be burned. This significantly increases the fresh mixture energy and the efficiency of the turbo engine and not only improves power and torque, but also reduces fuel consumption and CO2 emissions.

Cooling of the charge air is performed via two charge-air coolers installed in the rear side sections, through which the ambient air flows. The cooling air enters via the rear lid. From there, it flows through the cooling-air duct to the right and left charge-air coolers and exits again at the right and left sides of the lower rear apron.

Controlling the cooling air
For thermodynamic support under all operating conditions, the rear spoiler can be extended to the aerodynamic nominal position at speeds below 75 mph (120 km/h) in order to guide the cooling air to the charge-air coolers if required. Due to the position of the rear spoiler and the cooling air duct intakes in front of it, a ram pressure is generated, through which the cooling performance of the charge-air coolers can be increased if necessary. With this additional function, the rear spoiler on the 911 Carrera model year 2017 models has not only an aerodynamic, but also a thermodynamic charge-air cooler function.

Service
Both charge-air coolers must be checked for soiling and cleaned if necessary. For this purpose: both tail lights and the left and right plugs (1) must be removed. A visual inspection should then be performed using a flashlight and a mirror. Dirt must be removed through cleaning, e.g. vacuuming, if necessary.
Wow, nice find. Good to know ... amazing that you could lose up to 80hp if the spoiler doesn't work as intended!
Old 05-18-2018, 11:22 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
LWB's in a track car? Yes. In a touring, backroads car....mmmm nah not so much imo. Had pole positions in a '98 C4S and they wren't all that practical.
Video was hilarious but I would never buy LWB unless I was truly intending to track the car on a regular basis. They look awesome but are ridiculously impractical and uncomfortable.

Quick Reply: Carrera T Spolier Up/Down parameters