Sponsored by:

PSE One Year In

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 10:11 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbmd
I am thinking of getting PSE on my .1 but I am concerned that my neighbors and others around town will think its too loud. So I am torn. When you drive with PSE off is it the same sound as the standard exhaust or is it louder at baseline with PSE off?
Thanks
CB
Make sure your test drive is with all windows down (or top down for cabs). Exhaust is only loudest outside the car. Best to actually have the salesperson drive around while you are outside to hear how loud it is.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:42 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978

Make sure your test drive is with all windows down (or top down for cabs). Exhaust is only loudest outside the car. Best to actually have the salesperson drive around while you are outside to hear how loud it is.
Thanks Good idea.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:59 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I am thinking of getting PSE on my .1 but I am concerned that my neighbors and others around town will think its too loud. So I am torn. When you drive with PSE off is it the same sound as the standard exhaust or is it louder at baseline with PSE off?
Thanks
CB
I haven't tested them side by side, but I'm pretty sure that even with PSE off, it's still louder than the standard exhaust, but not obnoxious.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:58 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 243 Posts

I had the sport exhaust installed in my13 Boxster S. It was louder than stock even when off. And it droned below 3k rpms when on in normal mode. Off, there was no drone.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:24 AM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

Thanks guys. I will have to test it before purchase. As long as it is not too loud when turned off it will be fine.
Is it true that the PSE is engaged on start up even when it is switched off in the cabin?
Old 05-22-2018, 03:18 AM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nino
Cell phone mic doesn't really do justice.

In cabin it's fairly muted unless you're hard on the throttle. People say it's loud on the outside but I disagree. I think it should have came that loud stock. Definitely more comparable to the NA sound now.

Downshifts that bring the car up into high RPMS are extremely violent(backfires). I've had friends text me saying the noise scared the crap out of them. Prior to the install a 13 C4S with PSE was louder, now the GTS is a notch above. I"m just so happy there's no drone.

nice! sounds pretty sweet in the video as well. did you install it yourself? Also does that mean you can still control the loudness of the car with the PSE button?
Old 05-22-2018, 03:42 AM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

Thanks guys. I will have to test it before purchase. As long as it is not too loud when turned off it will be fine.
Is it true that the PSE is engaged on start up even when it is switched off in the cabin?
PSE is the name for the whole system. The only thing the button does is set the valves to be open or automatic. There is no "always closed" option. On startup, there is not enough pressure in the system to open the valves (as I was told, maybe it's wrong) but for sure they are open on startup.

PSE is one of those options that is on plenty of cars so it shouldn't be hard to hear it before deciding. Inside vs outside is quite different too. And of course the 991.2 cars sound different (not saying better or worse, just different) than the 991.1 cars.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:51 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

PSE won't come on until revs drop in 991.2.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:27 PM
ATLBond
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN
I hate PSE and the backfiring sounds. I wouldn’t have wanted it even if was free. My car 18 C4S sounds very nice without all that popping and crackling sounds.
Maybe a controversial topic. Such as MT versus PDK.
MT with PSE is fun. Don't know how or if you can free rev when PDK is engaged but free revving MT with PSE on is a lot of fun (for me at least).
Old 05-22-2018, 04:26 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 243 Posts

I wouldn't mind a slighly deeper tone to the sound inside the cabin and not so much outside. And without pops and crackles.
There are aftermarket options but they all sound pretty loud in video/audio clips. I need to hear one in person. I don't want to be a gunea pig with something like a Tubi in my 991.2 4s.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:13 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by basic666
nice! sounds pretty sweet in the video as well. did you install it yourself? Also does that mean you can still control the loudness of the car with the PSE button?
I had it installed at a shop. Didn't want to take on the header job but the bypass pipes look like a piece of cake.

Since I am using the OEM PSE muffler, yes I can still control the loudness of the car with the PSE button.

Very loud when I want, and very quiet when I want. Highly suggested!

Quick Reply: PSE One Year In