Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   991.2 allocations in SoCal? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1068761-991-2-allocations-in-socal.html)

yooj 05-14-2018 06:40 PM

991.2 allocations in SoCal?

Looking to order a base 991.2, with minimal equipment. Have found limited allocations in SoCal, and poor discount. Would appreciate a referral to a dealer in SoCal that still has build allocation and that would significantly discount? Seems as if the end of production would be a good time for a discount because most would want the next generation. I, however, am more comfortable buying at the end production, but only if a discount would be attainable to offset the presumable greater rate of depreciation . Suppose I should be willing to order from a more distant dealer.

seanhaus 05-14-2018 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by yooj (Post 15009181)
Looking to order a base 991.2, with minimal equipment. Have found limited allocations in SoCal, and poor discount. Would appreciate a referral to a dealer in SoCal that still has build allocation and that would significantly discount? Seems as if the end of production would be a good time for a discount because most would want the next generation. I, however, am more comfortable buying at the end production, but only if a discount would be attainable to offset the presumable greater rate of depreciation . Suppose I should be willing to order from a more distant dealer.

Finding an allocation can be a challenge, regardless of the current state of production. For what it's worth, I'd reach out to Circle Porsche or Beverly Hills Porsche. They're both very high-volume dealers and would likely be able to find you one. I wouldn't expect a discount from either of them however.. maybe 5% if you are lucky, especially for a minimal build.

If you're looking for something in the near term for Summer, I would definitely expand your search to some other major markets (Chicago, Miami, NY.) You'd be surprised to see the inventory - and you'll likely get a more substantial discount. From there you can have it shipped out to you for $1500-2000 or drive it back.

yooj 05-14-2018 06:49 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, seanhaus. Helpful.

titan7 05-14-2018 07:06 PM

McKenna Porsche is also another high volume dealer in SoCA, they treated me well. I also went to circle in Long Beach, nice people but I never heard back from them once I asked for a better deal, guess they thought I was not serious, lol. YMMV.

DBH 05-14-2018 10:01 PM

It's really a matter of supply and demand. Porsche is shrinking the supply while the demand remains the same. I believe most allocations are now for fall builds. Also keep in mind that the dealers make a higher profit on options. As a result you're more likely to get a good discount on a highly optioned car than a "stripper". If you can find an acceptable car in a dealers inventory you can generally negotiate a better discount. Happy hunting!!

_RS_ 05-14-2018 11:21 PM

yooj, if you're looking for lightly optioned model then I think you're a good candidate for a low mileage used one. Skip the early depreciation and find something that fits your fancy sooner rather than later.

scsuperfan 05-15-2018 12:00 AM

Bev Hills is the highest volume in the country...they typically do a good job at earning your business financially speaking

ipse dixit 05-15-2018 12:01 AM

very few allocations for 991.2 at this stage of the production cycle with the 992 right around the corner

yooj 05-15-2018 12:05 AM

Thanks all for the advice and information.

sampelligrino 05-15-2018 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
very few allocations for 991.2 at this stage of the production cycle with the 992 right around the corner

Bingo - if you have an allocation for the 991.2 you want, I wouldn't risk a couple points and shop around *too* much.. just my 2 cents

C.J. Ichiban 05-15-2018 04:10 AM

What kind of build are you looking for?

titan7 05-15-2018 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban (Post 15010145)

OP, I would hit up CJ as there may be a better deal up there as it’s out of the SoCA grind.

bwiele 05-15-2018 01:41 PM

Just to point out the obvious, you have highlighted the fact that allocations are very scarce (my dealer was just complaining to me about that on Saturday) so supply is very limited. On the other hand, you will only buy if you can achieve a significant discount. Those two ideas are in direct conflict with each other. What incentive does a dealer have to significantly discount a car for you that they have a precious few slots for? I think you have to be more realistic.

visitador 05-15-2018 02:09 PM

^^^ I think OP is first timer to the Porsche world and assumes Porsche does what other manufacturers of mass produced cars do. What Porsche does at the end of a production cycle? It creates that special model called Platinum (at least on the SUV side). On the 991 side, there is the T-model. In this way, all the remaining parts inventory are fully used

stout 05-15-2018 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban (Post 15010145)

C.J., curious if you can get base Carrera allocations? I have sold a few to friends who have driven my car, but hearing they can't get allocations. T only...