Sponsored by:

So how much fun am in for?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 03:49 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts
Default So how much fun am in for?

Got side swiped... not happy... any guess on what this will cost to fix....

Old 05-12-2018, 04:03 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Sorry to see, but you can get it fixed for sure.

Wheel is obviously easy (you may need a new front, too, so the wheel color matches on that side of the car). Bumper is also easy, and may end up matching the car better than it does now. If it were me, I'd look for the best paintless dent wizard money can buy and try to fix the quarter that way, and then have an amazing (!) blender for one of the dealerships touch in the paint there as well as the scratch up front. Then have the bumper dealt with conventionally. It's a strategy I would explore, at least.

The alternative is the traditional approach: Drop the whole thing off at a body shop and let the real fun commence. Window out, quarter panel painted, etc. Do you blend into the doors? What about the rear spoiler/cowl? Will it match now, and later? Do you plan to keep the car, etc.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:37 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

Not too worried on the wheel color matching, they should be able to nail that pretty close. I am more concerned about the small dent between the bumper edge and the metal edge I know PDR guys like to avoid edges and crease areas. Plan to keep the car for a while. Other concern is the the fact that one side of the car will look brand new while the other side less so. I will likely replace both rash guards at this point if paint is involved.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:55 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

You sound like someone with reasonable expectations and smart strategy. Rash guard is a good idea, and your concerns would only have me more interested in finding a dent pro who recognizes the value in getting that set right despite the obvious challenges. I'd way rather "over pay" a PDR tech and someone who can brush or feather in a little black paint (and live with the imperfection) than spend the money to prep and paint that quarter. I hate painting quarter panels, or sides of a car.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:00 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I had a very similar dent on my previous Cayenne. The dent guys couldn't promise they would get it completely out. As you probably know, any body work on that rear fender is a large respray. It goes up and over the door and under it. I ended up having it done at a Porsche collision center so that it could still be certified.

On my Cayenne the dent was from a strike by an fist or elbow thus the paint was fine. The dent guys were still concerned. My guess is they could have got it out, at least enough that nobody would notice, but if they didn't then it was wasted money. I wasn't keeping the Cayenne so I went the body shop route. You could have them try their best then have your dealer or someone do a touch up and blend clear coat. The only problem with that is the small area of clear coat will be slightly different in reflective color on a black car.

Sorry to see, good luck and keep us posted.

Quick Reply: So how much fun am in for?