Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Cobb Tuning Coming Soon (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1068369-cobb-tuning-coming-soon.html)

Valvefloat991 05-12-2018 11:19 AM

Cobb Tuning Coming Soon

According to this story on BoostAddict, Cobb will be releasing a system for the 991.2 Turbo in two weeks, with the Carrera models coming soon after.

https://www.****************/content....next-two-weeks

Boba_kz 05-12-2018 11:49 AM

Good news

Jaws1 05-12-2018 12:45 PM

Great news, but it looks like the ECU might need to be sent to Cobb to be unlocked. Hope that’s not the case.

AlexLou 05-12-2018 01:39 PM

So once unlocked the ECU, they can just tune our cars with OBD port? And easy reverse for dealer services?

Aatish 05-12-2018 04:21 PM

I'm following this closely.

Want to know if they can lock the flash counter on the DME. BM3 does that with the F-Series DMEs, and it's awesome! Hoping something similar occurs with Porsche.
Wouldn't mind having to physically unlock my ECU, but would much rather go through the OBD port. Unfortunately, that's gonna require a boot loader leak...

Rennolazine 05-12-2018 09:02 PM

Afaik no one can block the flash counter on the new DME. That would be theoretically appealing although if they (porsche) look hard enough they could tell a different ecu map was used.

Boba_kz 05-18-2018 12:55 PM

An news?

PTS-BRG 05-19-2018 07:46 AM

The tune for 991.2 Carrera (not turbo models) will be released before the end of May. I saw an internal email direct from COBB and I am stoked as hell..

Jordan Pryce 05-19-2018 04:57 PM

Can you remove the Cobb Accessport after flashing if you don't want to datalog? I just don't want it cluttering up my car.

LavaGTS 05-19-2018 05:09 PM

Yes you can put it away.. Don't need to have it plugged in and on at all times.

DBH 05-19-2018 08:56 PM

Latest edition of Panorama (May) has a Cobb ad showing the Accessport for 991.2 Carrera and other models "...COMING SOON!".

4 Point 0 05-22-2018 01:17 AM

Is it Soon yet?

LavaGTS 05-22-2018 02:18 AM

"Keep an eye out on our social media page" They said. As of now they seem to be catering more to the Turbo/Turbo S crowd.

We should see something by the end of the month.

AlexLou 05-22-2018 02:49 AM

What we expect the gain?

4 Point 0 05-22-2018 02:52 AM

The ability to custom tune the car. Hopefully not too far away with E85 as well.

LavaGTS 05-22-2018 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by AlexLou (Post 15026045)
What we expect the gain?

Over 100whp/100tq with exhaust work depending on your trim.

4 Point 0 05-22-2018 03:04 AM

991.2 GTS - Vektor Headers - Akrapovic Cats and Slip on exhaust - IPD Plenum - aFe Cold Air intake - COBB Tune E85 Flex fuel = 700 RWHP : )

Vendors take note and make it happen : )

LavaGTS 05-22-2018 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0 (Post 15026061)
991.2 GTS - Vektor Headers - Akrapovic Cats and Slip on exhaust - IPD Plenum - aFe Cold Air intake - COBB Tune E85 Flex fuel = 700 RWHP : )

Vendors take note and make it happen : )

991.2 GTS turbos will max out around 530whp on pump gas. Meth and E85 would.. Who knows?

https://www.bimmerboost.com/images/i...screen-63.jpeg

Autoquest Motorsport 05-23-2018 03:11 PM

Tuning is already available for the 991.2 Carrera models via OBD2 access with gains as good or better than Cobb. No real reason to wait for Cobb at this point unless you just like the Accessport in general haha

PTS-BRG 05-23-2018 03:16 PM

John @ Autoquest: Be clear here.. Are you saying that you have a tune that doesn't require the ECU to be removed and sent in and your Tune can be flashed via OBD2 straight without ECU being mailed in? If so, you are correct and I am a customer. If not, then you aint got nothing on Cobb..

mikex25 05-23-2018 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG (Post 15029613)
John @ Autoquest: Be clear here.. Are you saying that you have a tune that doesn't require the ECU to be removed and sent in and your Tune can be flashed via OBD2 straight without ECU being mailed in? If so, you are correct and I am a customer. If not, then you aint got nothing on Cobb..

im highly skeptical anyone can without benching the ecu

LavaGTS 05-23-2018 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Autoquest Motorsport (Post 15029602)
Tuning is already available for the 991.2 Carrera models via OBD2 access with gains as good or better than Cobb. No real reason to wait for Cobb at this point unless you just like the Accessport in general haha

Why don't you share? haha

Autoquest Motorsport 05-23-2018 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG (Post 15029613)

I shall be crystal, didn't mean to be otherwise sorry for any miscommunication. The 991.2 Carrera/Turbo/718 ECU's have been a very tough nut to crack. That being said, our tuner can now access the OBD2 port after manually "patching" in the access to the ECU. Therefore, the ECU goes to our tuner once to modify for OBD2 access (or they can just flash it while it's there), and then you are able to access and swap tune files on and off the ECU from that point forward via their OBD2 handheld device.

Let's run a hypothetical scenario. You have a stock car and want just a tune. ECU is sent out to gain remote access capability and the updated file at that time or via the handheld that comes back with it if that is preferred. 6 months down the line you want to run catless and need a retune. You can then purchase a revised file and have it emailed to you to swap via the handheld device.

Autoquest Motorsport 05-23-2018 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Nino (Post 15029656)
Why don't you share? haha

Well, I didn't realize this was such a hot topic and I had to finish brewing my cup of coffee lol.

My cell is 484 883 6197, I'd be happy to chat with anyone in much more depth about it if need be : )

LavaGTS 05-23-2018 03:41 PM

Purchase revised files? No thanks.

With Cobb you can change tunes on the fly and you can have custom dyno tunes done.. Data logging and monitoring on the fly etc. Can your machine do this? OTS maps are never the answer. Dyno tuning is a must. You will not maximize HP and smooth out your powerband with a simple flash.

Where are your numbers, pics, dyno charts and proof? There is leaked information out there that Cobb is pulling 540whp off stock turbos on a C4S.

LavaGTS 05-23-2018 03:42 PM

https://www.************.com/showthr...next-two-weeks

Autoquest Motorsport 05-23-2018 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Nino (Post 15029672)
Purchase revised files? No thanks.

With Cobb you can change tunes on the fly and you can have custom dyno tunes done.. Data logging and monitoring on the fly etc. Can your machine do this? OTS maps are never the answer. Dyno tuning is a must. You will not maximize HP and smooth out your powerband with a simple flash.

Where are your numbers, pics, dyno charts and proof? There is leaked information out there that Cobb is pulling 540whp off stock turbos on a C4S.

Not us, our tuner Hydra Motor Works. All our customers have loved their results so far. I'll see if I can get them to chime in with some details for you. Their number is 561 657 8787 if you'd like to give them a shout : ) Here's one of their recent graphs on a stock Carrera S. I was done waiting for Cobb about a year ago, you guys can do whatever floats your boat but these guys rock haha.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...f3800bbbe0.png

RENN GTS 05-23-2018 04:26 PM

I thought this thread was about Cobb tunes?

Would be interested in seeing what an accessport flash for a base 991.2 Carrera will yield.

LavaGTS 05-23-2018 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Autoquest Motorsport (Post 15029692)
Not us, our tuner Hydra Motor Works. All our customers have loved their results so far. I'll see if I can get them to chime in with some details for you. Their number is 561 657 8787 if you'd like to give them a shout : ) Here's one of their recent graphs on a stock Carrera S. I was done waiting for Cobb about a year ago, you guys can do whatever floats your boat but these guys rock haha.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...f3800bbbe0.png

That's pretty impressive. Just a tune with no other supporting mods?

I wonder how the drive feels now that the vehicle above has more torque than HP. I personally like the sensation of a continuous pull to redline.

Cobb needs to get in here and start chiming in!

Autoquest Motorsport 05-23-2018 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Nino (Post 15029829)
That's pretty impressive. Just a tune with no other supporting mods?

I wonder how the drive feels now that the vehicle above has more torque than HP. I personally like the sensation of a continuous pull to redline.

Cobb needs to get in here and start chiming in!

Correct, it felt pretty impressive too on the cars we did here. Complete rockets out of the hole, and as expect more out a flat top end feel compared to naturally aspirated .1 Carreras, the tune doesn't change that on this car. That being said, it felt night and day better than stock that is for sure. Still prefer the powercurve of my Cayman R, but I'm jaded what can I say haha.

More info the merrier! Cobb has been teasing on these tunes forever, as far back as when I was at Fabspeed. They even flew out and were chatting with us about it, and the hiccup has always been access through the OBD2.

RENN GTS 05-23-2018 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Autoquest Motorsport (Post 15029868)
Correct, it felt pretty impressive too on the cars we did here. Complete rockets out of the hole, and as expect more out a flat top end feel compared to naturally aspirated .1 Carreras, the tune doesn't change that on this car. That being said, it felt night and day better than stock that is for sure. Still prefer the powercurve of my Cayman R, but I'm jaded what can I say haha.

More info the merrier! Cobb has been teasing on these tunes forever, as far back as when I was at Fabspeed. They even flew out and were chatting with us about it, and the hiccup has always been access through the OBD2.

Not everyone wants a Bench tune. Imagine the grin on the faces of the dealer techs and area service reps who uncover a split bead on the ECU when you try to warranty your car for blown turbos or a nuked engine.

Even with an OBD2 flash, the ECU will remain branded despite a reversion to the original factory software.

LavaGTS 05-23-2018 05:41 PM

^Which is why you should have a good relationship with your service advisor.

PTS-BRG 05-23-2018 05:48 PM

I dont know enough about these mods to really speak with authority, but from what I have been told..

The Cobb tune resets the flash counter or something like that so there is no way for anyone to know it was flashed once it is flashed back to stock/oem.

Again, when someone can come out with a way to crack the ECU without having to ship it in then they will be the tune to have.
When everyone has to send in their ECU to be cracked then it comes down to price, reputation, Dyno charts, etc..

I see no reason not to wait 8 days to see what Cobb has up their sleeves. They are certainly considered one of the top if not the top tuners in the world, so I want to see what they have to offer.

Aatish 05-23-2018 05:52 PM

Having worked with PTF closely on their n55 development for BMWs, I really want to know wether tuners will be able to freeze the flash counter. Don't mind the ECU unlocking, and would be down to do it if there was an easy way to revert back to stock without throwing a tamper code.

As far as why Cobb over the other methods. Bootmod3 ruined me. I liked being able to flash, log, and diagnose stuff with my phone. Cobb seems like the most similar to the interface, and probably will be a bit more polished.
Idk, let's see what happens. I got the CPO warranty; trying to preserve it as much as possible lol

Aatish 05-23-2018 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG (Post 15030000)
I dont know enough about these mods to really speak with authority, but from what I have been told..

The Cobb tune resets the flash counter or something like that so there is no way for anyone to know it was flashed once it is flashed back to stock/oem.

Again, when someone can come out with a way to crack the ECU without having to ship it in then they will be the tune to have.
When everyone has to send in their ECU to be cracked then it comes down to price, reputation, Dyno charts, etc..

I see no reason not to wait 8 days to see what Cobb has up their sleeves. They are certainly considered one of the top if not the top tuners in the world, so I want to see what they have to offer.

Do you happen to have a source or something for that statement? Not trying to be aggressive in anyway. I just really want to confirm so I can get my hopes up :)

RENN GTS 05-23-2018 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Nino (Post 15029983)
^Which is why you should have a good relationship with your service advisor.

Your service advisor wont be able to circumvent a branded ECU, let alone an ECU which has a split silicone bead and void seal.

PTS-BRG 05-23-2018 05:56 PM

I most definitely have a very good source, but as I said I am repeating my recollection of what he said so my version may not be accurate.
Here is what a Cobb rep said in his blog:

https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/f...?s=96&d=mm&r=g
J R on April 6, 2018 says: Once flashed to stock, theres no way for the dealer to know its been tuned?

https://www.cobbtuning.com/wp/app/up...g2-150x150.jpg
Adam Hill on April 9, 2018 says:Typically that is correct, but we never make any 100% promises regarding flash recognition or dealer response to tuning or modifications.
Adam@COBB

Aatish 05-23-2018 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by RENN GTS (Post 15030014)
Your service advisor wont be able to circumvent a branded ECU, let alone an ECU which has a split silicone bead and void seal.

Yes. But they can only know that if they pull the ECU. A blown turbo will warrant that, no question. However, going into service normally....cracked ECU won't be an issue. DME Tamper codes will however

Aatish 05-23-2018 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG (Post 15030022)
I most definitely have a very good source, but as I said I am repeating my recollection of what he said so my version may not be accurate.
Here is what a Cobb rep said in his blog:

https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/f...?s=96&d=mm&r=g
J R on April 6, 2018 says: Once flashed to stock, theres no way for the dealer to know its been tuned?

https://www.cobbtuning.com/wp/app/up...g2-150x150.jpg
Adam Hill on April 9, 2018 says:Typically that is correct, but we never make any 100% promises regarding flash recognition or dealer response to tuning or modifications.
Adam@COBB

Interesting :)

Time to do some further investigating.
Thank you for the lead good sir!

Aatish 05-23-2018 06:04 PM

At the end of the day, tune at your own risk. Know what you're doing and proceed.

I'll share a quick story, which is sorta relevant.

Back when BM3 was picking up steam, a kid in the NYC area got an M4 GTS. Went FBO, and had a custom E85 tune. Ended up spinning the crank hub. Long story short, he took the car with the mods and tune to the dealer, and expected them to warranty everything. Car still had the E85 tune and E85 in the tank. He went so far to get a lawyer involved. In the end, BMW said tough luck and a new motor was bought.

On the other side, I know countless people who have tuned cars and regularly go to the dealer. Many have had warranty work done while they were tuned. Whenever that is needed, they always revert back to stock flash and remove any mods that would raise suspicion. They also are close and tip the SAs for helping them out.

In the end, gotta be smart about what you're doing and have a strategy when going the tuning route.

RENN GTS 05-23-2018 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Aatish (Post 15030024)
Yes. But they can only know that if they pull the ECU. A blown turbo will warrant that, no question. However, going into service normally....cracked ECU won't be an issue. DME Tamper codes will however

There are guys here who will expect a warrantied engine /turbos, despite having flashed their cars. Will reference Magnussen Moss, etc etc., then proceed to sh1t on the dealer when they don't get their way.

Just trying to keep it real.

Aatish 05-23-2018 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by RENN GTS (Post 15030057)
There are guys here who will expect a warrantied engine /turbos, despite having flashed their cars. Will reference Magnussen Moss, etc etc., then proceed to sh1t on the dealer when they don't get their way.

Just trying to keep it real.

Yes. And those people are what give tuning and the warranty side a bad image.

Always gotta keep it real bro.

LavaGTS 05-23-2018 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Aatish (Post 15030033)
At the end of the day, tune at your own risk. Know what you're doing and proceed.

I'll share a quick story, which is sorta relevant.

Back when BM3 was picking up steam, a kid in the NYC area got an M4 GTS. Went FBO, and had a custom E85 tune. Ended up spinning the crank hub. Long story short, he took the car with the mods and tune to the dealer, and expected them to warranty everything. Car still had the E85 tune and E85 in the tank. He went so far to get a lawyer involved. In the end, BMW said tough luck and a new motor was bought.

On the other side, I know countless people who have tuned cars and regularly go to the dealer. Many have had warranty work done while they were tuned. Whenever that is needed, they always revert back to stock flash and remove any mods that would raise suspicion. They also are close and tip the SAs for helping them out.

In the end, gotta be smart about what you're doing and have a strategy when going the tuning route.

Was the "kid" naive or dumb?

Note to anyone who breaks something major while modded and tuned:
-Replace all your parts back to stock. Don't scratch things up on the installs.
-Flash you ECU back to stock
-Pump gas in your tank

Don't be retarded like the kid mention above and you'll most likely be ok. Of course, act dumbfounded.

Also keeping it real... Only way.

DBH 05-24-2018 09:02 PM

I'll paraphrase a long time Porsche tech that I've known for years...If we look hard enough, we can ALWAYS tell if a car's been modified. :bowdown: Take it for what it's worth. :corn:

SamboTT@ByDesign 05-24-2018 09:18 PM

Hey all,

I started a thread on here that has information regarding the up-coming .2 generation AP and it will be an official place for Q&A. We had 12 cars in CA testing/tuning with Cobb and it's going to be awesome! Everyone can patch the ECU now. The AP (which operated like all others after the ECU is unlocked once bu Cobb is a few weeks away! Aside form the quality top performing calibrations the Cobb engineers bring to the table we will have logging, custom tuning and all the goodies! I am proud to have been a part of of the .2 like the other platforms and really excited to see this finally here!

Cheers

Boba_kz 05-25-2018 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign (Post 15032795)
Hey all,

I started a thread on here that has information regarding the up-coming .2 generation AP and it will be an official place for Q&A. We had 12 cars in CA testing/tuning with Cobb and it's going to be awesome! Everyone can patch the ECU now. The AP (which operated like all others after the ECU is unlocked once bu Cobb is a few weeks away! Aside form the quality top performing calibrations the Cobb engineers bring to the table we will have logging, custom tuning and all the goodies! I am proud to have been a part of of the .2 like the other platforms and really excited to see this finally here!

Cheers

Dyno charts please

4 Point 0 05-25-2018 04:35 AM

Thanks Sambo. Any numbers for the GTS? Or any E85 numbers : )

SamboTT@ByDesign 05-25-2018 11:26 AM

Putting it all in the official post gentleman. Ethanol testing is next but let’s just say we know that the TT and TTS like it. The main thing is to get the product out with all the basics. On the Cobb tuned GTS we are seeing more power power to the wheels than a stock TTS!

Boba_kz 05-25-2018 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign (Post 15033742)
Putting it all in the official post gentleman. Ethanol testing is next but let’s just say we know that the TT and TTS like it. The main thing is to get the product out with all the basics. On the Cobb tuned GTS we are seeing more power power to the wheels than a stock TTS!

Can't wait too see!