991.2 Carrera - Track Journal!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 02:02 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 542 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by JAhmed
Well, 1300+ track miles later...the season is officially over

Looking forward to blasting around in the snow with this thing, and getting it back on track in 2019!!!
Could put on some studded tires and go snow-cross!
Old 11-06-2018, 02:25 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Could put on some studded tires and go snow-cross!
Don't tempt me mannnn
Old 11-30-2018, 08:31 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

The following users liked this post:
tgavem (08-15-2019)
Old 12-01-2018, 08:42 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,186 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums

Agree...I ran through several Ferodo models of pads and went back to Pagid Yellows and things are better. I ran in my 997 cars various PFC and Pagid and the PFC were awesome but the Pagid Yellows just lasted and worked better. I ran my pads down to around 35% pad left only so I didn’t transfer too much heat to the caliper. However many other run Pagid and PFC to the plate no issues.

Big problem with these cars are the brakes on a track like Sebring can’t handle the speed of the car. I’m hitting same speeds down long straights as 991 GT3RS car that are extremely well driven On Hoosier R7 and I’m only on stock sized MPSC2....the car has plenty of power...it needs better suspension and much bigger brakes and much better calipers.
The track bug has bit me hard. The more I track my GTS, the more I love it and the more I want to track it. I still have not fitted anti-sway bars, as the GT3 ones don't fit. The front could have with modified end links, but I was cautioned on shear angle. So I left it. The rear is just wrong all together. I will wait until someone makes a proper set for the 991.2 GTS.

I haven't fitted the Pagid Yellows yet, But after three attempts the right shape showed up. I agree on needing more brakes. The GT3's close up under trail braking everytime. I pull away easily on the straight and out of the corner, but they just keep closing up under trail braking. Brembo has an M6 and M4 caliper. They call them the GTS : )) Sounds like its perfect for us regular track guys. They are 380 mm front and rear, and can get the Type III rotors that look mint.
I'm pretty sure they will be next. That's why I never bothered with braided lines, as they come as a complete kit. I do run SRF an absolute must. Boiled the stock fluid on the first country run.

I have a lot of Elephant racing bars fitted. The anti-dive, anti-squat bar, coupled with my DSC controller, has made a huge difference to braking and acceleration. My car used to dip so hard under brakes I was almost doing an Endo.
It would make the rear of the car very light, and I was getting brake-turn in- oversteer. Now the nose doesn't dive, I can trail brake more effectively, without the back wanting to pendulum. But the car does need more front spring.

I have them, 75 Fr and 150 Rear. (Stock is 33 fr 108 rear. GT3 45 front 120 rear) I still haven't decided if the Canisters are worth it or not with the Tractive coilovers. They will look very cool mounted in the Frunk. But its a lot of added expense.

Brembo GTS

Frunk mounted canisters

Tractive RTx Cansiter

Old 12-02-2018, 02:02 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Those remote reservoir setups are a pretty penny but my understanding is they are a night and day major upgrade. It'd probably take a while to tune it perfectly for your driving and the tracks you frequent.

In my friend group there's a 981 Cayman S on remote reservoir Motion Controls. Even though the setup is extremely stiff, it's reasonably compliant as you can control high and low speed rebound separately. You can attack curbs aggressively and car isn't upset at all despite all that stiffness. Watkins Glen bus stop curbs for example is a place where this would come in really handy.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:35 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Very nice - quality gear. I was looking at a full Targa spec GT4 with tractive suspension - drove beautifully 😀
Old 12-03-2018, 09:58 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Anyone wanting a deal on some OZ Leggra HLT 20" wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 (Mpsc2 ) tires give me a pm. 3 track days in them zero issues.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:27 AM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
The track bug has bit me hard. The more I track my GTS, the more I love it and the more I want to track it. I still have not fitted anti-sway bars, as the GT3 ones don't fit. The front could have with modified end links, but I was cautioned on shear angle. So I left it. The rear is just wrong all together. I will wait until someone makes a proper set for the 991.2 GTS.
4 POINT 0, where are you located? Your setup is one I'd love to check out. You can PM me if you wish!
Old 12-03-2018, 11:30 AM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Anyone wanting a deal on some OZ Leggra HLT 20" wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 (Mpsc2 ) tires give me a pm. 3 track days in them zero issues.

Man...this setup would look good on my car...
Old 12-03-2018, 03:47 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JAhmed
4 POINT 0, where are you located? Your setup is one I'd love to check out. You can PM me if you wish!
It would be quite a flight buddy. I am down under in Australia.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:32 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Old 12-03-2018, 10:48 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Always wanted to see Australia. I’m a above knee amputee and one of the best if not the best Osseointegration surgeons is in Australia. He can implant a rod into what’s left of me femur and I would no,longer need a socket. USA is just starting to do this on trial basis though.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:30 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Always wanted to see Australia. I’m a above knee amputee and one of the best if not the best Osseointegration surgeons is in Australia. He can implant a rod into what’s left of me femur and I would no,longer need a socket. USA is just starting to do this on trial basis though.
Cool, give me a shout if you decide to head down.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:14 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Old 02-20-2019, 11:09 AM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

So a little update on my car for those who might be interested

Currently 11 months into my ownership, about 14,100 miles. The car is daily driven (rain, snow, etc)

It has had some issues since the late fall:

1) PDK fault. Was cruising on the highway when suddenly the car refused to go into any of the even gears (2,4,6). It allowed me to continue driving. Turning the car on and off cleared the fault and the car operated normally. Dropped the car off to the dealer, who ran diagnostics and were directed by Porsche Technical to replace the valve body. Car has operated normally (from a transmission standpoint) since.

2) Excessive wind noise from the roof. Diagnosed as sunroof misalignment. Fixed under warranty.

3) Underboosting/"engine control fault". This began a few weeks ago. The first episode was when I was coming home from work. I downshifted in order to pass a car on the highway, and the car suddenly bogged down and threw a CEL. It said "DRIVING PERMITTED", but I noticed the car wasn't allowing full boost pressure. Left the car at the dealer, who diagnosed it as a random computer fault - cleared the code and sent me on my way. 1 week later, the fault occurred again - this time, I was not doing anything but cruising at 80 mph. Again left it at the dealer, who diagnosed under-boosting and suspected wastegate seizure secondary to road salt (???). Not sure if this makes any sense, but they are currently replacing my turbos under warranty (turbo and wastegate are integrated). Also tested the control solenoids and ancillaries. Both times, the car was up to temp (oil temp above 200* F) and I've always used 93 oct. Shell gasoline.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Carrera - Track Journal!