Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Carrera - Track Journal!

Old 08-13-2018, 01:01 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
Clearly the car knows the correct values for the various parameters. The computer is programmed to feed the dumbed-down values tot he instruments. It would be nice if someone--perhaps Cobb--could include this reprogramming with their tune. Dialing in the speedometer would also be helpful.
Agreed...maybe we should all get GT3s
Old 08-13-2018, 04:39 PM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
Buy consumables from FCPEuro.com. They do not carry Pagids (at least not for my 991.1 C2S), but I bought rotors and SRF from them.

They have a lifetime guarantee, which is amazing if you track your car
They don't seem to carry any 991.2 parts. No rotors, pads, clutches, not even oil filters.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:37 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Another day at Blackhawk Farms completed...with some friends this time!

Car ran awesome, as per last few track days. Suppose its time for another brake fluid and oil change.

Looking forward to running the car 09/05, 09/09 and 09/14 next month.

Need to get GoPro/Harry's Lap Timer etc

Stock Pirellis holding up, stock pads/rotors holding up.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:43 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Another event completed...and 1 set of OEM pads officially obliterated. Ran at another LAPS, INC "Advanced Drivers Day" event, which has 3 hrs (4:15p-7:15p) of open track at Autobahn South. Ran 1.75 hrs before the pads were good and done. Interestingly, still felt the brakes were more or less on point until I was about to call it quits due to concerns with pad thickness. Also interesting...basically 1-2 laps before I was going to pit in and call it a day, the car gave me the BRAKE WEAR warning on the dash. Note to self: Do not push the pads this far from now on.

Stock Pirellis could still do a few more days by my estimation, but they most definitely are not as grippy as they were 2 months ago. ATE fluid doing well, ready for another change though (3 days on this fluid).

By my count, 15.75 hrs completed on track in this car thus far...hoping to make it an even 20 before the season is over here in Chicagoland (rapidly approaching ). While the car most certainly does not need any performance mods at my skill level, I am beginning to think about doing caliper studs, wheel studs and some other safety items
over the winter.

EDIT: Another small note, car had an oil change before this event. Opting to try out Motul XCESS 8100 (an A40 oil) in the car to see how it does.

As always, some horrible potato phone pictures below.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:20 AM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Tie off the brake-pad sensors next time, and then just watch them for wear.

Pagid RS29s end up being cheaper than OEM pads because they last so much longer. Same deal with SRF versus every other fluid. Plus the time savings of not bleeding/swapping as frequently is huge.

Have you considered a relatively inexpensive track car before going too deep down the modding hole? I am starting to look for one. A Miata at 10/10ths is more fun than a 911 at 8/10ths, and a hell of a lot cheaper to replace

Edit to Add: Ambient temps have been in the 70s for my last couple track days and PZeroes have been MUCH better with hot temps of 33/34.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:15 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Pagid RS29s end up being cheaper than OEM pads because they last so much longer. Same deal with SRF versus every other fluid. Plus the time savings of not bleeding/swapping as frequently is huge.

Have you considered a relatively inexpensive track car before going too deep down the modding hole? I am starting to look for one. A Miata at 10/10ths is more fun than a 911 at 8/10ths, and a hell of a lot cheaper to replace

Edit to Add: Ambient temps have been in the 70s for my last couple track days and PZeroes have been MUCH better with hot temps of 33/34.
I have confirmed with several sources that Pagid RS29 pads lose effectiveness after they are half worn. I've been in a Miata at homestead and they are incredible. That one had ohlins coilovers, cage, tires, etc and it was unbelievable how well it handles, how great the car feels and how much fun the owner was having in it. His daily driver is a 991 Turbo. He is former military (previously flew F15s) and he can drive anything he wants.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:43 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

I’ve run through about 10 sets of Pagid RS-29 pads and my experience is they work fine down to the backing plates. They are one of the most widely used racing pads around the world. The reason why they are so widely used is because they don't lose their effectiveness when they are half worn out.

Last edited by CarreraFahrer; 09-14-2018 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:01 PM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 I bought an M3 for less than what it would cost to mod my 911 and insure it for a year. Consumables are cheaper and if you buy from FCP Euro replacements are free for life.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:18 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarreraFahrer
I’ve run through about 10 sets of Pagid RS-29 pads and my experience is they work fine down to the backing plates. They are one of the most widely used racing pads around the world. The reason why they are so widely used is not because they lose their effectiveness when they are half worn out.
I hear you. I am not professing to know from personal experience or know better and not sure whether I would be able to tell a difference, but several people who know more than me having to conformed the same. I located several threads about this on rennlist and via certain vendors, but do not recall where
Old 09-11-2018, 07:55 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan
I have confirmed with several sources that Pagid RS29 pads lose effectiveness after they are half worn. I've been in a Miata at homestead and they are incredible. That one had ohlins coilovers, cage, tires, etc and it was unbelievable how well it handles, how great the car feels and how much fun the owner was having in it. His daily driver is a 991 Turbo. He is former military (previously flew F15s) and he can drive anything he wants.
I have read a couple reports of issues with RS29s, but know a lot of people personally who run them to the backing plates. I think at least one RS29 issue (disintegrated?) might have been due to being in a car year round, and the failure was due to multiple freeze-thaw cycles.

Miatas are great, and easy to find one that has been track prepped for ~$10k.

I’ve run through about 10 sets of Pagid RS-29 pads and my experience is they work fine down to the backing plates. They are one of the most widely used racing pads around the world. The reason why they are so widely used is not because they lose their effectiveness when they are half worn out.
^This is what I hear at the track, and mine have been great.

Originally Posted by phx991
+1 I bought an M3 for less than what it would cost to mod my 911 and insure it for a year. Consumables are cheaper and if you buy from FCP Euro replacements are free for life.
Which M3? I am close to pulling the trigger on an E36. I like the E46, but would be an extra $10k with the same mileage, condition, and level track prep.

FCP
Old 09-11-2018, 09:35 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Agree...I ran through several Ferodo models of pads and went back to Pagid Yellows and things are better. I ran in my 997 cars various PFC and Pagid and the PFC were awesome but the Pagid Yellows just lasted and worked better. I ran my pads down to around 35% pad left only so I didn’t transfer too much heat to the caliper. However many other run Pagid and PFC to the plate no issues.

Big problem with these cars are the brakes on a track like Sebring can’t handle the speed of the car. I’m hitting same speeds down long straights as 991 GT3RS car that are extremely well driven On Hoosier R7 and I’m only on stock sized MPSC2....the car has plenty of power...it needs better suspension and much bigger brakes and much better calipers.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:46 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Do you have the Girodisc rotors? Did that help?
Old 09-11-2018, 11:58 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums

Agree...I ran through several Ferodo models of pads and went back to Pagid Yellows and things are better. I ran in my 997 cars various PFC and Pagid and the PFC were awesome but the Pagid Yellows just lasted and worked better. I ran my pads down to around 35% pad left only so I didn’t transfer too much heat to the caliper. However many other run Pagid and PFC to the plate no issues.

Big problem with these cars are the brakes on a track like Sebring can’t handle the speed of the car. I’m hitting same speeds down long straights as 991 GT3RS car that are extremely well driven On Hoosier R7 and I’m only on stock sized MPSC2....the car has plenty of power...it needs better suspension and much bigger brakes and much better calipers.
I’m back at Sebring in October. Looking forward to trying my new ohlins coilovers. Will also be my first time there with girodiscs front rotors, Sebro slotted rears, gt3 pads up front and Carrera S pads in back. What lap times are you getting at Sebring?
Old 09-13-2018, 11:09 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Tying off the sensors is definitely on the agenda this weekend, when I swap in a new set of pads!

I definitely have been thinking about a less expensive track car, to be honest. I did not expect myself to do this much track time this summer (I've owned my Cayman for exactly 2 yrs, and it has NOT seen nearly as much time on track as my 991). That being said, I now wonder if it makes sense to keep my 991 for daily duties (as was originally intended) and buy a cheaper track car (S2000/Miata/BRZ/FRS/etc). To be honest, I feel like I am in such a good "groove" with this car, and have just started to understand how to use the rear engine dynamics and PDK to really motivate it to turn fast and consistent laps. The car is incredibly satisfying to drive, and I am concerned that changing to another platform will leave me disappointed and have me back in the 991 anyway...except now I have another paperweight sitting at home next to the Cayman.

Will have to think on it further, but I did participate in one of those "Porsche Track Experience" events today, where I drove a 991.2 T & GTS, and a 718 Cayman S and 718 Boxster GTS...driving those cars on track will again make it more difficult to transition away from my 991 for track use...
Old 11-06-2018, 10:37 AM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Well, 1300+ track miles later...the season is officially over

Looking forward to blasting around in the snow with this thing, and getting it back on track in 2019!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991.2 Carrera - Track Journal!