Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Carrera - Track Journal!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 05:34 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,189 Likes on 628 Posts

Getting the GTS all prepped for the track in 2 weeks. I have Cup 2's (20's N1 like GT3). Just ordered Pagid RSL 29's for front. Will flush with SRF. I boiled the stock fluid on a country run.

Looking for decent stainless lines as well. ALL my elephant racing bits are due tomorrow. : ))
Old 07-23-2018, 07:55 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid

38 hot? Were the center treads wearing out prematurely? That is way too hot for tracks I have run in summer temps; my center treads were wearing a bit faster than the rest of the tire running 37 - 34 hot at the track, and 38 PSI on the street.

I agree with 19" wheels and Cup2s, or other track tires.

I started at 25PSI cold and ran 32/33 hot yesterday and they felt pretty good, but Thompson is far less demanding than Palmer. They still fell off a bit toward the end of the third and fourth sessions, so they would have probably gotten killed at Palmer.

They are going to feel way too soft if you are used to running higher temps
These are street tires not R specs - you have to treat them differently. With street tires you should begin with placard pressures for road use. Why? because road tires have a much softer side wall than R specs. If you under inflate them you will simply destroy the side wall or roll the side wall.

This is from my race notes - direct from Michelin in regard to the much more robust Pilot Sport Cup 2

"For track use always begin with inflation pressures recommended for road use - gradually bring the tyres up to temp with steady moderate laps. The best operating pressure for these tires is between 33PSI and 39PSI hot"

"Don't ever use inflation pressure below 28PSI and we strongly recommend a minimum inflation pressure no less than 29PSI cold"

"In the wet you will need to increase tire pressures by 6PSI to 10PSI over cold dry pressure"

This is very good advice. . Hot temps of 34PSI front and 36PSI rear work well both for P Zero N1 and MPSC2N1
Old 07-23-2018, 01:55 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
The addiction is real...

I upgraded to Pagid RS29s and Motul 600 last year, and upgraded to SRF this year. SRF is more expensive, but also lasts longer than 600, so the prices are actually closer than just doing an ounce-to-ounce comparison. I have heard good things about Pagid RSL29s, which seem to be the new RS.

I have been starting out at 26 PSI with a hot temp of 34 PSI for PZeroes. I do not think they can handle a full 20-min session on a hot, hilly track. They completely fell off in the last three laps of the last two sessions at my last day at Palmer. They did not feel over inflated, just as though the tires were trying, and failing to grip. I will probably aim for 32 or 33PSI tomorrow, though it is a far less demanding track.

I just replaced my rears this week, and probably jumping to PS4S next year when all four corners are shot. Otherwise, I might just buy a dedicated set of 19"s wheels and track tires.

Edit to add: I am in a .1 C2S
Thanks for the info! I am still playing around with pressures myself (and of course there are driving style/skill level differences to account for here), but FWIW, running 30/32 PSI hot on my car seems to keep consistent grip throughout a 20-30 minute session at Autobahn for me. Running Blackhawk tomorrow, so I will run slightly higher pressure and see what happens!!!
Old 07-23-2018, 01:56 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Getting the GTS all prepped for the track in 2 weeks. I have Cup 2's (20's N1 like GT3). Just ordered Pagid RSL 29's for front. Will flush with SRF. I boiled the stock fluid on a country run.

Looking for decent stainless lines as well. ALL my elephant racing bits are due tomorrow. : ))
You'll definitely have a blast! Enjoy!!!
Old 07-23-2018, 01:57 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarreraFahrer
I also prefer a PDK/DCT on track and a manual on the street. Unless I'm on the fwy I always use Sport or Sport Plus mode and Manual driving around town. Virtually every professional racing class has moved to paddle shifting cars as they are faster.

I'm also impressed with my Porsche C2S showroom stock on track. The suspension is surprisingly buttoned down and very predictable with the stock Pirelli's. Not sure how it will fare with stickies though.
Agreed. I will always keep at least one 6MT car for fun...rowing gears is the best.

But on track? I like being able to focus on my lines and braking, and letting the PDK do its thing. It's pretty addicting one way or another.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:58 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by awrryan
No Complaints with Castrol SRF. I've been using it since January 2017 and love it. I had a little fade at one point, but it wasn't the fluid: I'm 99% sure it was my hardware (low pads, hot weather and a really fast and aggressive run at Sebring).
Gonna run Motul for a bit, and then try SRF in this car!
Old 07-25-2018, 12:31 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

So I just wanted to collect my thoughts from my track day yesterday!

At this point, there have been significant variances in how much track time I get per event, so I suppose I'll just document in terms of track hours from here on out. The car has done about 6.5 track hours as of this morning since I bought it back in March.

I ran Blackhawk Farms in Beloit, WI yesterday at a "Track Night in America" event. It was a blast and reasonably priced for 3 x 20 minute sessions, IMO.

Straight of the bat, I did not yet have a chance to change out my brake fluid or make any other changes to the car. So this car is still being run in 100% factory stock configuration. That being said, it continues to run admirably and continues to impress me.

Conditions were as follows: Ambient temp 89-90* F, sunny

So I felt as if the car ran excellent, just like before. I feel as if I am getting a better idea of how to drive this car compared to my Cayman. It is incredibly satisfying to just bury the throttle at corner exit with nary a concern to traction or grip. I continue to run the car in automatic mode in Sport Plus...I have not touched the paddles once on track. The transmission is incredibly intuitive and knows exactly what gear to be in and where to shift. I also find it impressive that it can snick off a shift mid-corner without even a shimmy. I had an incredibly good time yesterday with a gentleman who brought his GT4 to the event, as we played cat and mouse for an entire session. He has infinitely more track experience than I do, and commented that he couldn't believe how the 911 was able to slingshot out of corners (particularly turn 7 onto the straight) and have its bumper basically buried in the back of the GT4. While I noticed a definite deficiency on following the GT4 into the braking zones and mid-corner, my car was all over him at corner exit and on the straights. I suspect part of that was 6MT vs PDK as well, as my car would nudge toward him ever so slightly every time he shifted. Of course, all of the above observations are not rocket science and not really surprising, but it was definitely interesting to see in practice!

As usual, I suck at taking videos/pics. Will work on getting a go-pro for future events. I will have to check my tires and pads this weekend, so will likely take some pics then for documentation. I feel like the stock Pirellis have performed admirably, but they do feel like they are starting to give up the ghost. Of note, I did play with the tire pressure a bit based on some of the above posts...ran the car at 34/36 hot instead of 30/32, and it seemed like it still gripped quite well and I had a blast. Will likely keep playing with the pressures and see how it goes!
Old 07-25-2018, 12:34 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

A final thought...I am officially addicted to 911 driving dynamics and the PDK. Will stick to tracking this car, even though I purchased it with the intention of it being my daily driver. My Cayman will no longer see the track...and, as long as the rumors (NA, 6MT, 4.0) hold true, will be traded toward a 982 Spyder when able (which will remain as a fair weather, 6MT street car).
Old 07-25-2018, 02:23 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by JAhmed
A final thought...I am officially addicted to 911 driving dynamics and the PDK. Will stick to tracking this car, even though I purchased it with the intention of it being my daily driver. My Cayman will no longer see the track...and, as long as the rumors (NA, 6MT, 4.0) hold true, will be traded toward a 982 Spyder when able (which will remain as a fair weather, 6MT street car).
cant remember if this was addressed above, but if you’re going to continue to track the car, I recommend wheel studs and brake caliper studs. Available from Tarett engineering.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:28 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by awrryan

cant remember if this was addressed above, but if you’re going to continue to track the car, I recommend wheel studs and brake caliper studs. Available from Tarett engineering.
Thanks, will definitely look into this!!!
Old 07-25-2018, 03:49 PM
ER5
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car looks great!! Can you tell me how you were able to remove the folding rear seat backs please. I've yet to figure it out without risking any damage. Thanks
Old 07-25-2018, 04:20 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ER5
Car looks great!! Can you tell me how you were able to remove the folding rear seat backs please. I've yet to figure it out without risking any damage. Thanks
Thanks! Didn't remove anything, just folded them down!
Old 07-28-2018, 12:38 AM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Can someone verify that 991.2 Base Carreras use the same caliper as the 991.1 Carrera S? I am trying to find performance pads online but nothing really comes up for 991.2 Base...Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-28-2018, 12:51 AM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Interestingly, Suncoast lists the stock front pads for the 991.2 Carrera as fitment for the 718 S/GTS as well...and Pagid definitely makes a front pad for those cars, but I cannot find one that is listed for the 991.2 Carrera...HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Old 07-28-2018, 01:29 AM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

991.2 base uses different brakes than S or GTS.
It uses the same setup as the 981 s/GTS , 718 S/GTS, and 991.1 3.4.
The front pagid pads for it are the 8074 ( and are listed for it on the Suncoast site ( under upgrades)

Quick Reply: 991.2 Carrera - Track Journal!