Sponsored by:

991.2 Carrera - Track Journal!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 07:48 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
You're welcome, and agreed. If I was going to configure a new Porsche for 90-100% autocross, track, or autobahn use, it would be PDK.

That's where the GT4 Clubsport is pretty brilliant...
Oh man, as if the Clubsport article in 000 wasn't enough...

My wife is pretty tolerant with the whole 2 Porsche sports car thing...not sure she's ready for a track-only addition to the fleet
Old 05-12-2018, 12:45 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by JAhmed
Oh man, as if the Clubsport article in 000 wasn't enough...

My wife is pretty tolerant with the whole 2 Porsche sports car thing...not sure she's ready for a track-only addition to the fleet
I'll tell you, the hardest moment of that photo shoot came when Bowman comes back into the pits for lunch and says "Pete, you gotta drive the Clubsport—and your car—on track after lunch!!" And then not doing just that, knowing that we only had so much time to finish the shooting, and that we might need/use every minute. And we did. Yes, that's right, I am the only one who didn't drive my GT4 that day, and the guy who declined a chance to drive a GT4 Clubsport on track. I figured I'd have another shot, sooner or later. I hope I was right!
Old 05-12-2018, 01:11 AM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stout
I'll tell you, the hardest moment of that photo shoot came when Bowman comes back into the pits for lunch and says "Pete, you gotta drive the Clubsport—and your car—on track after lunch!!" And then not doing just that, knowing that we only had so much time to finish the shooting, and that we might need/use every minute. And we did. Yes, that's right, I am the only one who didn't drive my GT4 that day, and the guy who declined a chance to drive a GT4 Clubsport on track. I figured I'd have another shot, sooner or later. I hope I was right!
I recently had a chance to drive a 981 Cayman S equipped with PDK for the first time (I've owned my 981GTS with a manual for nearly 2 years, but had never driven one with a PDK). After seeing what it was like on the STREET, I can't even BEGIN to imagine what the Clubsport is like on a track. Especially one in Guards Red
Old 05-19-2018, 12:17 PM
Gonzalo Sanabria
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JUST TRADED MY GT4 FOR A BASE 991.2 PDK AND THE CHANGE WAS PHENOMENAL IN THRILLS, COMFORT AND PERFORMANCE.....THERES NO WAY ITS ONLY 370 HP AS IT BEATS VIRTUALLY ANYTHING AND TWIN TURBO HAS ZERO LAG AND ACCELERATION. MAN, ITS A BARGAIN @ $100K....Graphite Blue Color is amazing.....probably best 911 ever.....and I've owned 911s since 1983, like 20 of them. Took it to Sebring and found it to be manageable and grippy.......a blast to track
Old 05-19-2018, 08:37 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

In broad terms, I find the corner entry and mid-corner performance of the 981 to be more predictable and satisfying. Corner exit, however, is a completely different story. It was incredibly satisfying to lay into the throttle shortly after the apex of each corner and just ride the wave of power and torque that the car produces.
Completely agree. I own a 981 and 991.2. They both have their strengths.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:33 AM
USGooner
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Great write-up and very similar to my first experience on track with my 991.2 C2. As the weekend went along my confidence with the car increased and was able to put down some pretty quick lap times for a newbie. I was stunned by the PDK's ability to shift and select the perfect gear for the moment. Intoxicating was the experience and I feel an addiction coming. Look for me at many a track the midwest. I'll be the one with the big, goofy grin on my face.

Last edited by USGooner; 05-31-2018 at 07:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-31-2018, 05:34 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gonzalo Sanabria
JUST TRADED MY GT4 FOR A BASE 991.2 PDK AND THE CHANGE WAS PHENOMENAL IN THRILLS, COMFORT AND PERFORMANCE.....THERES NO WAY ITS ONLY 370 HP AS IT BEATS VIRTUALLY ANYTHING AND TWIN TURBO HAS ZERO LAG AND ACCELERATION. MAN, ITS A BARGAIN @ $100K....Graphite Blue Color is amazing.....probably best 911 ever.....and I've owned 911s since 1983, like 20 of them. Took it to Sebring and found it to be manageable and grippy.......a blast to track
Congratulations! Hope you continue to enjoy it!
Old 05-31-2018, 05:35 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by subshooter
Completely agree. I own a 981 and 991.2. They both have their strengths.
For sure...Definitely fortunate to own one of each.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:37 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by USGooner
Great write-up and very similar to my first experience on track with my 991.2 C2. As the weekend went along my confidence with the car spared and was able to put down some pretty quick lap times for a newbie. I was stunned by the PDK's ability to shift and select the perfect gear for the moment. Intoxicating was the experience and I feel an addiction coming. Look for me at many a track the midwest. I'll be the one with the big, goofy grin on my face.
Great to hear. My next track day is June 18th and then July 8th after that...can't wait!!!
Old 06-25-2018, 04:20 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Patiently waiting for the next track day...#myphoneisterrible

Last edited by JAhmed; 09-06-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:42 PM
speedyj
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 169 Posts

What did I tell u ricer, get a new phone!!!

Patiently waiting for the next track day...#myphoneisterrible

Old 07-02-2018, 12:44 PM
smellslikecurry
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by speedyj

What did I tell u ricer, get a new phone!!!

I've been telling this fool for years!!!!
Old 07-04-2018, 08:38 PM
Soapman72
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick technical question.....does anyone know if the car still uses the rear brakes for torque vectoring if the PSM is completely turned off? I would like to avoid hammering the rear brakes as I have PCCBs. I tend to run my M4 (also with carbon ceramic brakes) with everything off as the electronics are more heavy handed than Porsche's PSM and less refined, but also because tires are cheaper than new pads and rotors.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:56 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Day 2 completed! Ran an advanced driver day with LAPS, INC (great organization to run with) at Autobahn last week.

Had an open track format from 5:30 - 8:30 PM, and the car ran beautifully for well over 2 hours of track time (broken into 30-40 minute sessions), despite ambient temps well into the high 80s!

Observations:

- Drove Autobahn South course for the first time, and it was a blast. Felt as if the car definitely felt more "at home" on North course, as there seems to be more opportunities to use all of the available torque. That being said, the car still exceeded all of my expectations, especially the PDK gearbox. I once again ended up running my entire track day in automatic mode...did not touch the paddles once. The gearbox is extremely intuitive and it makes turning consistent laps very satisfying. I still love a good third pedal...but the PDK definitely makes it easier for me to focus on my lines and pointing people by

- I must be driving the car more aggressively, as I definitely experienced a bit of brake fade toward the middle-end of my sessions at the end of the day. The car is still bone stock (didn't get a chance to do brake fluid yet), and doesn't warrant huge modifications at my skill level for sure. However, I will likely opt to change out for some new fluid before running my next track event (next week!)

- Was impressed at how cool the car ran. I know that these cars are robust and don't tend to have overheating issues (that I've read about at least), but still...nearly 90* ambient and running the car hard, the oil temps stayed in the low 240s the entire day (even toward the end of a nearly 50 minute session!). Again, I am no engineer and I know many of these cars are routinely run harder and for longer...but I still thought it was pretty cool (no pun intended )

Finally, the obligatory POTATO PHONE pictures

\

Next event...Blackhawk Farms!!!
The following users liked this post:
steved0x (08-14-2019)
Old 07-17-2018, 02:30 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

Brake fluid best first step as no negatives there.
If your getting some fade and using OEM pads, then suggest limiting sessions to 25 minutes to keep them cooler.
Also, remember, pads will heat up faster as they get thinner.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Carrera - Track Journal!