First Oil Change $245

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 01:46 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
I made DIY ramps with 2x12s.

You have a gorgeous car! And the DIY ramps work too. I used similar boards, connected with flat head screws, to raise the front of my DD BMW, prior to getting the ramps.
Still have them just in case they are needed.

K-A safety first!! We'll discuss my attempt to raise the BMW to drop the front wheel and access the inner fender panel to replace a light bulb, some other time. Suffice it to say, jacks fail so always have stands in place.
Ahh screw it, must as well share the whole story, while raising the car the rear jack wheels turned sideways which stopped the jack from crawling forward. Eventually it slipped off the central jacking point, down came the car, chewing through a cooling pipe courtesy of the jack.
Few hundred bucks worth of repairs later, I had the $10 bulb replaced
Operator error, yes, but do not rely on jacks alone to raise the car and keep it raised, use stands else do NOT get underneath the car.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:04 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
You have a gorgeous car! And the DIY ramps work too. I used similar boards, connected with flat head screws, to raise the front of my DD BMW, prior to getting the ramps.
Thanks! Yeah I agree on the safety, I worked with a guy that found his buddy’s dead body under his car that fell off the jacks! Don’t get under cars on jacks!
Old 05-20-2018, 10:16 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo

K-A safety first!! We'll discuss my attempt to raise the BMW to drop the front wheel and access the inner fender panel to replace a light bulb, some other time. Suffice it to say, jacks fail so always have stands in place.
Ahh screw it, must as well share the whole story, while raising the car the rear jack wheels turned sideways which stopped the jack from crawling forward. Eventually it slipped off the central jacking point, down came the car, chewing through a cooling pipe courtesy of the jack.
Few hundred bucks worth of repairs later, I had the $10 bulb replaced
Operator error, yes, but do not rely on jacks alone to raise the car and keep it raised, use stands else do NOT get underneath the car.
Good advice! And I had to LOL at the $10 bulb replaced resolution. Gotta love collateral damage that far exceeds the original intent.

Been there in many forms or another.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:14 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Like the Danube part...LOL I do mine myself on my old 997.1 and 981.1 cars but in this one you can't see anything without taking off the engine cover right? So dealer did my last one for about $230.
First time is a little tricky, but once you figure it out you can remove the fans to access the filter in under a minute; and hook them up and put them back on in under two minutes. $230 isn't the worst price I've seen though, and you get free coffee and can drool on new cars while you wait.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:40 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

My problem is that I bring my own oil to the dealership. Though it saves me money, it leaves me too much time to roam through the dealership's inventory. I have already bought a new 2013 991 with the same roaming and now they have a gorgeous manual GT3. I plead with my wife to tell me "NO" when I ask permission. She never does. I have no rational reason to buy a GT3 as my GTS is very fine. My next oil change is due in June. I am working on ignoring a GT3. Any advice to do so that I would be unfamiliar with would be very appreciated. I love my GTS and find the GT3 I have driven in Atlanta exceedingly uncomfortable.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:44 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
My problem is that I bring my own oil to the dealership. Though it saves me money, it leaves me too much time to roam through the dealership's inventory. I have already bought a new 2013 991 with the same roaming and now they have a gorgeous manual GT3. I plead with my wife to tell me "NO" when I ask permission. She never does. I have no rational reason to buy a GT3 as my GTS is very fine. My next oil change is due in June. I am working on ignoring a GT3. Any advice to do so that I would be unfamiliar with would be very appreciated. I love my GTS and find the GT3 I have driven in Atlanta exceedingly uncomfortable.
Take a look at this.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:03 PM
Nin Din Din
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
... I have already bought a new 2013 991 with the same roaming and now they have a gorgeous manual GT3. I plead with my wife to tell me "NO" when I ask permission. She never does. I have no rational reason to buy a GT3 as my GTS is very fine. My next oil change is due in June. I am working on ignoring a GT3. Any advice to do so that I would be unfamiliar with would be very appreciated. I love my GTS and find the GT3 I have driven in Atlanta exceedingly uncomfortable.
Make it easy on yourself. Give in to it. Surrender to it. Don’t fight it. You’re doomed; admit it. At 75 (I’m only a step or two behind you), it’s too late. You’ve had too many good cars, this is not the time to abandon what has worked for you.

Now, don’t you feel better?
Old 05-21-2018, 07:36 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

My ethnicity comes with a great deal of guilt. I would just like my wife to say "NO" which I will accept. I am 74 and have owned 6 new Porsches. What more do I need? I may hold out for the Model E if my body cooperates.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:51 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

If I drive it enuff. I did go 5k (instead of 10k) thats what i do in my C7 A6 3.0T

but as for my P cars, i usually only drive about 5-6k miles a year. So is be either 5k or 12 mos
Old 05-21-2018, 09:02 PM
mwjackson92
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe call me crazy, but I prefer going to the dealer for a car like this. You pay a bit more, but building a good relationship with your service advisor and dealership can pay huge dividends down the road. My guy has always taken care of me for warranty claims and nice loaner cars, worth the extra $ IMO.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:57 PM
HD2pct
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Mobil 1, liquids top off, reset message, docs for warranty from an Indy. I watched the mechanic do a good job. Wonder how price compares to a dealer?
Nope. Normal price. Dealer might have found other stuff to do, which most often is legit but not critical.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:06 PM
HD2pct
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mwjackson92
Maybe call me crazy, but I prefer going to the dealer for a car like this. You pay a bit more, but building a good relationship with your service advisor and dealership can pay huge dividends down the road. My guy has always taken care of me for warranty claims and nice loaner cars, worth the extra $ IMO.
PLUS 1++++

I had my 2004 Cayenne blow up, most likely because of a known defect on cylinder treatment at the factory. I got quoted a new engine for $23k. The guy at the dealership (supposedly) went to Porsche for goodwill, but because I did regular service at an indy (who, BTW, does does nothing but Porsche) I got nothing.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:48 AM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

What oil does everyone use? M1 0W40?
Old 05-22-2018, 08:12 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by HD2pct
PLUS 1++++

I had my 2004 Cayenne blow up, most likely because of a known defect on cylinder treatment at the factory. I got quoted a new engine for $23k. The guy at the dealership (supposedly) went to Porsche for goodwill, but because I did regular service at an indy (who, BTW, does does nothing but Porsche) I got nothing.
How do you know the reason you got nothing?
Old 05-22-2018, 03:07 PM
cassiussmith
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for such a noob question - I recently (5 weeks ago) bought a 991.1 (2012) Carrera; I don't know when the last oil change was. I've been trying to backtrack some old records, but I got none other than Carfax when I bought the car. (I know, I know...) Here's the question- Will I get a notice on the MFD when the oil change is due?
--------------------
2012 991.1 MT

Quick Reply: First Oil Change $245