Notices
Sponsored by:

First Oil Change $245

Old 05-19-2018, 10:37 AM
K-A
Super User

Do all you DIY’ers have lifts, or can you change the oil on the ground?

My indies are about to a little over $200. Though none of them use Mobile 1. They’ll use other brands and claim the oil is better than M1 (mine used Castrol), but namely they do it because M1 doesn’t provide mass quantity discounts. I sort of wish I told them to get Mobil 1 for mine, but I don’t really buy that M1 is the “best.” Any top brand oil should suffice I’d think.

Last edited by K-A; 05-19-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:36 AM
rff15e
User

Originally Posted by K-A View Post

My indies are about to a little over $200. Though none of them use Mobile 1. They’ll use other brands and claim the oil is better than M1 (mine used Castrol), but namely they do it because M1 doesn’t provide mass quantity discounts. I sort of wish I told them to get Mobil 1 for mine, but I don’t really buy that M1 is the “best.” Any top brand oil should suffice I’d think.
I just used Rhino ramps - plenty of room to get under there.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:53 AM
drcollie
User

You can change the oil on the ground, but its a whole lot easier to see the drain plug if you lift the car on ramps or jacks a bit, otherwise you have to be pretty lean to get under there with a hex head wrench to remove the drain plug.

Porsche Spec oil is A40 - you can use ANY oil that meet that spec. Here's a list that was done in 2015 of the brands / type that are A40.

http://www.fruitlands.net/tdi/Porsch...EngineOils.pdf
Old 05-19-2018, 12:02 PM
K-A
Super User

Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
You can change the oil on the ground, but its a whole lot easier to see the drain plug if you lift the car on ramps or jacks a bit, otherwise you have to be pretty lean to get under there with a hex head wrench to remove the drain plug.

Porsche Spec oil is A40 - you can use ANY oil that meet that spec. Here's a list that was done in 2015 of the brands / type that are A40.

http://www.fruitlands.net/tdi/Porsch...EngineOils.pdf
Awsome, thanks! Castrol is in there, so that’s a relief (I assumed they were, but hadn’t checked).
Old 05-19-2018, 02:10 PM
Bemo
User

Originally Posted by K-A

Ramps, brotha!
Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2018, 04:35 PM
Bxstr
Addict
Rennlist Member

One of the reasons I dont mind the dealer is the loaner cars. Being able to try out a new car (Cayenne/Macan) for a day while my car is in for service is often worth it. Figure if an indy is $150 and my dealer is $200, that $50 seems worth it. Also the fact that if they do screw something up I have a large dealer network to go after is nice. However, next year when I need pads and rotors (I think) I am going to shop between my dealer and my independent. I have a feeling that is going to be a $500-700 difference in which case it will be worth it to me to go to the independent.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:52 PM
aCayenneFan
User

Originally Posted by poison123 View Post
How the hell are they charging so much? I don't think I've ever seen a easier car to change oil on.
Most of the dealer clientele are not interested in learning how to and are much less interested in changing their oil and filter. The price of convenience and what-not.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:41 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

You fail to factor in the age of the clientele. I used to change the oil on my pre-1989 Porsches. My 1995 993 was a big pain as it had two filters and required a fender-liner removal but I did it occasionally. The 991 is just right but I am now 75 years of age. Crawling under anything is now a major effort which is much more difficult than the marathons I used to run.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:56 PM
aCayenneFan
User

Originally Posted by freeman View Post
You fail to factor in the age of the clientele. I used to change the oil on my pre-1989 Porsches. My 1995 993 was a big pain as it had two filters and required a fender-liner removal but I did it occasionally. The 991 is just right but I am now 75 years of age. Crawling under anything is now a major effort which is much more difficult than the marathons I used to run.
A mid-rise lift ( https://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/mi...-lifts/md-6xp/ ) would seem to avoid the requirement to crawl under the car...
Old 05-19-2018, 09:40 PM
Churchill
Addict
Rennlist Member

I once backed my 991 onto a pair of phone books to get enough clearance to slide a pan underneath and drain the oil....but obviously ramps or jack stands are easier.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:16 AM
drcollie
User

Originally Posted by aCayenneFan View Post
A mid-rise lift ( https://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/mi...-lifts/md-6xp/ ) would seem to avoid the requirement to crawl under the car...
HA! You still have to crawl under the car to set the (4) post arms to the car. I've had two mid-rise lift over the years, there are better systems.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:10 AM
aCayenneFan
User

Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
HA! You still have to crawl under the car to set the (4) post arms to the car. I've had two mid-rise lift over the years, there are better systems.
Huh? Are you saying you don't want to be bothered to slide the pads on the lift under the lift points on the car? You probably should have the dealer or indie shop do the oil change, then.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:46 AM
Gary JR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr View Post
One of the reasons I dont mind the dealer is the loaner cars. Being able to try out a new car (Cayenne/Macan) for a day while my car is in for service is often worth it. Figure if an indy is $150 and my dealer is $200, that $50 seems worth it. Also the fact that if they do screw something up I have a large dealer network to go after is nice. However, next year when I need pads and rotors (I think) I am going to shop between my dealer and my independent. I have a feeling that is going to be a $500-700 difference in which case it will be worth it to me to go to the independent.
I think the oil and filter alone push $100 so I would like to find a $200 dealer.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:36 PM
Valvefloat991
User

All you need to do is jack up the left rear corner to provide access to the drain plug on the 991.2. Then you drop the car to let the oil drain and change the filter, without moving the jack. Then you lift it again to replace the drain plug. No ramps r lifts necessary.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:36 PM
Dewinator
Addict
Rennlist Member

I made DIY ramps with 2x12s.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Oil Change $245

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: