Porsche PTS now $11,430!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 01:47 PM
ezinternet
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
... The only major hit they had was 'UltraViolet', which is an exceptional color that borrowed much from a rare 911 'Special Color' option called 'Royal
Purple' (code 341) from back in MY1972/73. ...
I'm disappointed to be trading in my Ultraviolet .1 RS for a Guards Red .2 ; although I like GR on it's own it's a step down in excitement IMO.
I would be thrilled if I could order code 341 Royal Purple as PTS for the newer car and have the newer chewy insides (suspension/engine) with a familiar candy colored wrapper.

Appreciate your posts so much Eduardo! I am always learning something. Thank you.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:23 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Name:  photo846.jpg
Views: 1448
Size:  174.2 KB

Name:  photo302.jpg
Views: 1410
Size:  172.0 KB

Name:  photo308.jpg
Views: 1413
Size:  94.7 KB
Old 05-15-2018, 03:06 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
From my reading of messages here, PTS guys have the same formula: Shades of Green, Blue or Yellow. That is hardly original. May as well spend that $11k on more interior stuff
PTS is the only way to get any shade of green in a 991, so that’s why I paid extra for it. Can’t speak for blues or yellows, though I think Speed is a nicer Yellow than the current Racing (but neither are as nice as Pastel to my eyes).
Really nice to see Eduardo reappear!
Old 05-15-2018, 03:51 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,270 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog

...though I think Speed is a nicer Yellow than the current Racing (but neither are as nice as Pastel to my eyes).
Years ago, on the shoot that led to my avatar, we ended up with a Speed Yellow 987 press car, the Yellow Bird in "Blossom Yellow," and a 360 Challenge Straddle (we used it to take photos from), Blossom made Speed look brown/dirty while it made Fly look like Pastel Yellow. It was bizarre...but it was also the best yellow I've ever seen on a car.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:41 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Years ago, on the shoot that led to my avatar, we ended up with a Speed Yellow 987 press car, the Yellow Bird in "Blossom Yellow," and a 360 Challenge Straddle (we used it to take photos from), Blossom made Speed look brown/dirty while it made Fly look like Pastel Yellow. It was bizarre...but it was also the best yellow I've ever seen on a car.
I had a Pastel Yellow ‘97 C2 at one time. Shoulda never...
Old 05-15-2018, 04:52 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

I agree with Stout that that 991 color choices are rather underwhelming. I have been going back and forth on a color for my GT3T for months now (tough problem to have, I know, cry me a river). I also agree that color can be very dependent on the car. I have seen GBM cars that look meh but GBM looks awesome on the winged GT3. Likewise, I have seen lava orange on some cars and it does not look so hot. I have seen it on other cars (the 911R and the GT3-RS) and it looks awesome. LA is filled with white, black and silver cars. I want to be different. On the configurator, that leaves two reds, yellow, agate (which I already have and love on my GTS), chalk, lava and Miami blue. After having configured the car in just about every color except black, I am down to chalk and lava orange. Like others, I was hoping to do PTS but there went that idea. I am interested in PTS less because I want something off the wall and more because the available color palette is so blasé. I was thinking about a blue (Voodoo, Golf, Gulf, Mexico, Riviera) or perhaps Signal Yellow. The olive GT3T that was posted here recently looks awesome - good for him for getting an early build!
Old 05-15-2018, 06:35 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah, everyone needs an editor.

"Basic" was intended as "close to" in this case, and didn't work well. I remember struggling to convey my thoughts there.

Oranges are tricky things. I am with you on loving both Signal Orange and Tangerine (and Signal Yellow, which to my eyes reads more "light orange"), and less interested in Lava. In fact, I had a very strong negative reaction to Lava at the 991.1 RS launch...looked like atomic salmon to my eyes after the very good 997 RS Orange, and I was bummed that the cover shot for that issue featured a Lava RS—but only because they were already cleaning the Ultraviolet RS!

Tell us more, please. Or, I will ask some folks at an event this week. Now very curious.

This is only a theory of mine, but I am wondering if PTS was a "blind spot" when Porsche changed the way it built cars in Zuffenhausen to radically decrease cost to manufacture, much like the decision to built a separate engine platform for the 996 Turbo/GT3 based on projected sales for those cars...when the 996 Turbo outsold all previous 911 Turbos combined. There are other areas there "just in time" manufacturing as Porsche set it up, which has unquestionably been profitable, have what look to me like blind spots. Gray anodized trim for the dash in my GT4? $325 over the brushed aluminum trim that was standard. Same trim in a Carrera with a leather interior? CXX qoute: $3400. Skipped that, but suspect it might have required the doors to come out after the car was built and the door trim strips use fasteners that are melted. The price of Houndstooth seats, as covered in 000, was breathtaking...and still is...but is sort of more understandable when one realizes that the car is first built with normal seats, then ends up stored in the Exclusive shops while its seats are removed and shipped back to the supplier to be reupholstered. It seems crazy, and is, but I doubt someone at Porsche has not tried to figure out other ways around this. Steering stitching is another one...I was told the wheel has to come out and be hand-stitched—and that German consumer law requires the (brand new!) airbag to be tossed.

So, my theory is that Porsche may have put into practice some methods back when it was against the ropes and couldn't even afford a glovebox for then 986.1/996.1 that may have impact now. Part of what got me to thinking about that is the relative price points and ease with which other manufacturers are able to offer PTS, etc. But it's all theory until one really connects with the right people and gets the real story. And, as you know, that isn't easy. It takes the right people at Porsche, but also the right questions and the right interpretation.

If there is one thing I have learned in the last 20~ years, it's that people are people. They do surprising things—both good and bad—just as they fail to do things that seem logical. Did you know that Porsche just hired its very first "smell engineer" (my term)? Quite common at other manufacturers, but Porsche hasn't had one so far. Necessary? I dunno. I never though much about how modern Porsches smell, but there is something, a solvent or a glue, that makes my better half feel slightly ill in them—no good thing!

Back to paint, and your comments about the need for color fashionistas. I have to say the current palate truly underwhelming when I went to order a 991.2. Few of the colors were bad, but none of them—not one—got me excited. Graphite was closest, but I was interested in a green, whether Gelbgrun (also a fave) or Brewster, or Oak or FGM. Well, there were no greens. I liked the former Dark Blue Metallic, and Night was okay, but this then required Agate or Espresso leather. Anyway, each person will have these personal thoughts. Color selections have to be among the most personal selections. Also, we change. Both our minds and our preferences are evolving.

Something funny happened a few months ago: I saw a Lava Orange 991.2 Carrera S and was surprised by how much I liked it. Here was a color I didn't like on the RS, but it somehow worked on the simpler Carrera S. It looked friendly, interesting, sporting, and vintage. Then I saw another Carrera S in Lava, this time with Sport PASM, and it looked even better to me. Hmm. This reminded me of Zanzibar, which I loved on the 996 Turbo and C4S, but didn't like on narrow Carreras and Boxsters. Go figure. Or Irish Green, which I love on vintage Porsches but don't care for on modern Porsches. Something about size/scale/form language. This is true with some other colors I love on older Porsches, but am not as crazy about on modern PTS cars. And there does not appear to be a rhyme or reason to it. Some bright 1970s colors look GREAT on a 991. Others look not so good to these eyes. Conversely, I don't love Guards Red very often, but it rocked my world on the GT4 with silver wheels. Ah, and what about Miami? I really didn't like it when it came out, and thought I was done with bold blues on modern Porsches, but it is starting to grow on me lately. I think the new GT3 looks great in Miami on black wheels (and I am not a black wheel guy) and red calipers, while the 991.2 Carrera looks great in Miami with silver Carrera S wheels and red calipers. No, I cannot explain this—and there's a good bet any explanation I'd give wouldn't work for someone else.

A few other quick thoughts on the "fashionistas" (I'm curious to meet them and learn more about them; if they're anywhere near as interesting as the seat team I met, it would be a fascinating discussion)...

1) Per the above, my guess is that colors need to be tweaked for various shapes—also, according to various personal preferences to come via the customer. What a web that must be...
2) If we only do what we did before, I am not sure the world is as interesting.
3) I think it's cool that we CAN do what we did before via PTS, though my own PTS experience has shown me that the paint technology changes the color...the Oak on my 991.2 is not the Oak of old. It has more gold undertones (much like Peridot from the 987 Cayman R), and looks best to me at night or under fluorescent light, where it returns to the dead gray/green I hoped for.
4) We have to remember today's durability standards—and materials...and suppliers!—have an effect on what is possible and "warranteeable."

Say it ain't so, Eduardo! Although, I think it's a good bet I'll see you down the road.

Before you ditch RL, please do tell: How are you liking your Carrera S after more time and miles?
I am surprised you don't know how to get real PTS now. One requests the colour from Porsche and pays roughly $30,000 for a feasibility test. Porsche will cover around 1/3 of the cost if it fails. If it succeeds, the requester will have to pay the cost of PTS on top of the cost of the feasibility study.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:18 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Conceiving Color...Tales of the Fashionistas At Porsche!

Pete:

I hope to respond fully to your interesting post (#58) in the near future.
But first let me concentrate on this point:

Back to paint, and your comments about the need for color fashionistas...(I'm curious to meet them and learn more
about them; if they're anywhere near as interesting as the seat team I met, it would be a fascinating discussion)...
Well, here they are...the Porsche color fashionistas! Our good friend & color enthusiast Daniel (Less than 3 MPH)
from Vancouver, Canada by coincidence sent me this article six days ago that recently appeared in Christophorus,
the magazine of the House of Porsche.

https://christophorus.porsche.com/en...386-15146.html

Originally Posted by Keadog
Thanks Keith...but it will be short-lived!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Old 05-16-2018, 02:09 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Eduardo,

Thanks for the info! It sounds to me like Porsche wastes a lot of money on color fashionistas that just burn a lot of money without really providing anything to the bottom line!

We’ll be sad to see you go! Cheers!
Old 05-16-2018, 09:21 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Pete:

I hope to respond fully to your interesting post (#58) in the near future.
But first let me concentrate on this point:

Well, here they are...the Porsche color fashionistas! Our good friend & color enthusiast Daniel (Less than 3 MPH)
from Vancouver, Canada by coincidence sent me this article six days ago that recently appeared in Christophorus,
the magazine of the House of Porsche.

https://christophorus.porsche.com/en...386-15146.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Lava Orange was driven by the Chinese market? Sigh.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:22 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
I have really enjoyed your posts over the years! You will be greatly missed!
Old 05-16-2018, 03:53 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Why sigh?
Old 05-17-2018, 12:33 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

I, for one, would love to know why Tangerine is not doable. I have many fond memories of my father's Tangerine '73 T - and would have gone for it on the T. Lava was not it though.

I also would have loved Diamond Blue Metallic - another color that I fear has been lost forever...My father's current 964 is in that color and it is just stunning. I've never seen another color like it.

cheers!
Old 05-17-2018, 11:41 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Fritz at Porsche Marketing Research just PM'd me. At 2 hours 34 minutes this thread has set a record for rationalizing a near doubling of pure profit on an essentially zero-cost option.
Beyond clueless ^^^

Lol. Pure profit? Essentially zero cost? Is that a hunch? Or do you have information to share?
Nothing but crickets since your response, Pete. No surprise there.

I am winding down my posts on Rennlist forums. This particular 'whisperer' is slowly saying 'goodbye' to mostly friends
here at Rennlist!
Can't say I blame you as your contributions have been underappreciated by many here.

Originally Posted by 9914s
Thank god this is my first and last Porsche.
You joined RL in 2014. No wonder the wait is getting to you.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:35 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I really don't think so. I hardly see any 911 in China. If you ask the people in Mainland China to name a Porsche model, they probably say Cayenne or Macan.

Quick Reply: Porsche PTS now $11,430!?