Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: I want a big red brake kit for my Carrera T!?!
Hell yeah, with a nice group discount.
74.32%
Nah, the stock brakes are good enough for me.
25.68%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Hey Suncoast, how about a Carrera T big brake package deal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 11:16 PM
Tay101
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Jordan Pryce
Tay, I totally agree. And had he simply said "you mean 6 pot" or something constructive like that, I would have responded in kind. He didn't. He's not here to add to the conversation. He's a troll, as all of his 76 posts clearly show. https://rennlist.com/forums/search.p...rchid=32258183 I have little patience for unprovoked rudeness and I don't suffer fools.
Gotcha.

You know a few months ago I put a feeler out for an Essex AP Racing four wheel big brake kit as GT3 but didn't get much interest. Essex is willing to design a kit. They just need a car to do that.

Its probably overkill for most, but I would love to have it since I track a lot.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:25 PM
Jordan Pryce
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

AP makes great stuff. A lifetime ago I raced motorcycles at a national level, and AP made about the best calipers you could buy.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:52 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

AP makes great stuff. A lifetime ago I raced motorcycles at a national level, and AP made about the best calipers you could buy.
After 12 years I just got out of track riding/instructing myself.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:22 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Pointbye

Better yet, please explain to us how a 3 piston brake caliper works.
You beat me to it.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:28 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 603 Likes on 247 Posts

I have the Brembo on my modded 997 Turbo and love them ! I find them better than the stock brakes on my 991.2 GTS .

Old 05-09-2018, 10:01 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Although I voted “yes” on the poll, in thinking further, this would be an upgrade for the track and as described would not be optimal for this purpose. For a track upgrade I would want a BBK with slotted rotors and non-red painted calipers. The red paint gets cooked and looks terrible after a short time.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:08 AM
Jordan Pryce
Rennlist Member

I personally could care less about the red paint. It’s more about the better braking.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:09 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

Do you guys know if anyone has reported fade on the 991.2 carrera brakes? I do recall reading about a smell when pushed hard, but if anyone has any insight as to how good/bad they are on track please share. These are supposedly the exact brakes from the 991.1 S and GTS, right?
I 'm mainly interested in beefing up brakes if I did a tune down the line as nearly 500 pones would necessitate extra stopping ability. I would keep paint the calipers black to match the rear... or buy BBK in black. I dont wanna mess with the rear brakes especially since I spec'ed RAS.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:03 AM
Jordan Pryce
Rennlist Member

As far as I know the standard T brakes are the same spec as the base brakes which haven’t changed through 991 production.

One of my friends who was always a significantly faster racer then me had a saying that I always loved. “It’s not the braking, it’s the un-braking.” What he meant by that was that braking later, harder and for a shorter duration was the key to faster times. Better brakes will help accomplish that.

These days for for me it’s more about street and autocross, so a little more brake is enough.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:35 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,175 Likes on 431 Posts

I voted that the stock brakes are good enough for me.

Mine is a daily driver and is unlikely to be tracked.

Porsche brakes are famously good anyway (60-0 in half the time it takes to get 0-60) and for my yellow T, the stock black calipers look better than red would do.

Toyed with PCCB for the looks, but no way could I justify the cost.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:49 AM
Jordan Pryce
Rennlist Member

A new option. While browsing Suncoast I saw that they added a Girodisc rotor upgrade for the T. They are running $1,200 a pair. Not cheap for rotors, but standard pricing for Girodisc brand. They increase the rotor size from the stock 330mm front/330mm rear to 350mm front and 350mm rear while maintaining the stock calipers, lines, etc. Here is what makes it a very interesting option to me.

1. They are lighter than the stock rotors.
2. They increase the size to front "S" sizing of 350mm (and bigger than the "S" rear size which is the same 330mm as the T) and come with the necessary spacers/adaptors to move your existing calipers out to the new position WITHOUT needing to disassemble, bleed, troubleshoot the braking system.
3. They maintain the brake bias by keeping the size ratio constant F/R
4. There isn't anything wrong with the stock calipers. If you want to paint them red, yellow or purple, go ahead, but they work just fine.
5. Larger rotors mean more heat dissipation. Good to reduce fade and fluid temps.
6. Bigger rotors look cool, and two piece rotors look cooler than stock "S" rotors.

Q. I'm reaching out to Suncoast to see if we can get the drilled as an option. Slotted is great for the track if you're running track compound pads (I've seen drilled rotors develop micro cracks when used heavily on the track) but drilled is usually better for standard all weather street conditions and also tends to squeak less.

Thoughts?

Old 06-02-2018, 12:08 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Heres my thoughts.. Im no expert so please correct me if Im wrong, just trying to get info.

Im assuming you are correct about these girodiscs reducing fade due to increased size/heat dissipation, but that has to do with the metal propertiesfor which we do not have specs, and should only be a factor if youre pounding on the car.
Its also possible the rotational mass might not be a factor even if they weigh less than the stock base rotors because of the increased diameter. It doesn't seem that they will help the car stop any faster because the rotor/pad contact area is not increased.
If I was gonna do a brake upgrade it would primarily be because I wanted to tune the car and increase stopping power, and I would want some evidence that there would be a beneficial effect on braking distances.
Looks like the best option at least for me would be to get these rotors AND the S calipers/pads. with less rotational mass than the S rotors... but if fade is a main concern, these plus some better brake fluid should theoretically do the trick.

Also, if anyone knows how to increase brake performance for every day driving without upgrading to the 6 piston calipers from the base 4 pistons, that would be great!

Last edited by Rennolazine; 06-02-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:06 PM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

I'd be interested for an upgrade for aesthetic purpose (any performance upgrade) if it's not too expensive. The bigger rotor will sure look great. I wonder how it'll look with the bigger rotor + stock T caliper. I actually think the stock T caliper isn't all that bad. Maybe all the braking issue discussion came from the smaller size rotor.

Subscribed to keep an update.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:34 PM
Jordan Pryce
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Heres my thoughts.. Im no expert so please correct me if Im wrong, just trying to get info.

Im assuming you are correct about these girodiscs reducing fade due to increased size/heat dissipation, but that has to do with the metal propertiesfor which we do not have specs, and should only be a factor if youre pounding on the car.
Its also possible the rotational mass might not be a factor even if they weigh less than the stock base rotors because of the increased diameter. It doesn't seem that they will help the car stop any faster because the rotor/pad contact area is not increased.
If I was gonna do a brake upgrade it would primarily be because I wanted to tune the car and increase stopping power, and I would want some evidence that there would be a beneficial effect on braking distances.
Looks like the best option at least for me would be to get these rotors AND the S calipers/pads. with less rotational mass than the S rotors... but if fade is a main concern, these plus some better brake fluid should theoretically do the trick.

Also, if anyone knows how to increase brake performance for every day driving without upgrading to the 6 piston calipers from the base 4 pistons, that would be great!
There are a hundred discussions regarding brake rotor size, rotating and unsprung mass, etc. I'd rather not get into those. Girodisc seems to be the preferred supplier for those who want to ditch the PCCB rotors, and they are well known in Porsche racing circles. I'll take the assumption that their quality is as good or better than OEM. I'm not sure that the S brakes have more pad surface area. From my memory they are pretty similar in that regard. Anyone know? Larger rotors will increase stopping power due to an increase in leverage. Larger rotors have more thermal mass so they are a better heat sink (all things being equal) for better heat absorption and dissipation. So if you're asking if they will likely perform better than stock, I think the answer is yes. I'm not looking for racing brakes. I do some autocross, but nothing so hard on the brakes. If you are racing, there are 100 ways to improve your braking. They are all costly.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:48 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

There are a hundred discussions regarding brake rotor size, rotating and unsprung mass, etc. I'd rather not get into those. Girodisc seems to be the preferred supplier for those who want to ditch the PCCB rotors, and they are well known in Porsche racing circles. I'll take the assumption that their quality is as good or better than OEM. I'm not sure that the S brakes have more pad surface area. From my memory they are pretty similar in that regard. Anyone know? Larger rotors will increase stopping power due to an increase in leverage. Larger rotors have more thermal mass so they are a better heat sink (all things being equal) for better heat absorption and dissipation. So if you're asking if they will likely perform better than stock, I think the answer is yes. I'm not looking for racing brakes. I do some autocross, but nothing so hard on the brakes. If you are racing, there are 100 ways to improve your braking. They are all costly.
Thanks for the response Jordan. I likely wont race either but plan on whipping it around on some long drives. If you end up getting these instead of doing the 6 piston upgrade and you perceive improved stopping, this will be my next upgrade for sure! Especially if you think they will still perform well in colder temps (which they should, right?). I wouldn't even bother drilling them unless there is a clear advantage to this.
Cheers.

Quick Reply: Hey Suncoast, how about a Carrera T big brake package deal?