Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: Do I need to replace my PCCB pads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 01:01 PM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Help: Do I need to replace my PCCB pads?

Help: Do I need to replace my PCCB pads? No brake warning lights yet, but I have a track day coming up and would like to replace safely earlier rather than later. I have about 10 track days on these pads.

Whats the best way to visually measure when to replace? I thought i read somewhere that i should replace when the pads are at or below the depth of the pad back plate?

thank you

Old 05-06-2018, 01:30 PM
N2B8TOR
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that rule applies to regular steel rotors. On the ceramics you want to replace at most when the pads are at 50%. The reason being pads on the ceramics need to withstand a lot more heat. Having extra pad material help with this.

From the look of your pads they look pretty worn. I would get new ones. Pretty easy to do. When I ordered my pads last month they were back ordered from Germany so it took about 2 weeks to arrive. Also the front brake sensors were easy to remove. The back were impossible so at minimum get 2 new sensors for the back. Pelican parts have them for like $10 each or something. The Porsche manual recommended replacing all the caliper bolts. But a few members here suggested it was ok to reuse them. I found my bolts were fine as well. So up to you to spend the money on the bolts. Also if you do the replacement yourself make sure to get two wheel guide pins to help with wheel removal so you don't accidentally chip the ceramic rotors.

My brakes also make horrible sounds before pads replacement. Afterward they were super quiet. I found out they had small cracks all over the pads. I love them now. Good luck!
Old 05-06-2018, 01:59 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes I would replace before your next track day. The second photo looks like your awfully close to activating the pad sensor which will warn you to replace the pads.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:06 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

ok thank you. new pads coming up

Quick Reply: Help: Do I need to replace my PCCB pads?