Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Out with the old, in with the new...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 09:33 PM
Jsonorous
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink Out with the old, in with the new...

Drove down to Houston from Minneapolis this week, and traded my base 2013 991.1 that had 35K miles for a CPO 2017 991.2 S with 2500 miles. Got a good trade (plus tax advantage) and a great price on the 991.2 from Momentum Porsche, great dealership and great people. I owned the base 991.1 (PDK) for 3 years and never really bonded with it like my 2007 base 997.1 with manual. On paper, the 991.1 was better in every way than the 997 (lighter, more HP, more torque), but I always felt that the PDK, even in sport, shifted too early, and in auto/manual mode shifted too slowly. I originally was going to get a 2013-2016 991.1 S, but after numerous test drives felt it was better, but not enough to purchase (for me). I tested base and S 991.2's, and loved the low end torque. Both the base and S trims are great, but the S is insanely fast, even before the boost kicks in and has gobs of torque for running around town. As I daily drive this car 365, the new 991.2 engines are sublime and speedy in a stealth way, and with the sport exhaust on gnarly and loud when I want that. The new car was loaded, premium package plus, sport package and tons of other bits, way more on this build than I would have ever spent. On the 1300 mile "test" drive home, I was blown away by the rear wheel steering. At high speeds, the car glides from lane to lane, and allows you to do fast moves at speed with aplomb. At low speeds it makes it a lot more maneuverable to get into tight spaces. I didn't expect to notice such a difference. The new Bose system is mystifyingly better on the 991.2 than the 991.1 (I'm an audio engineer/producer). I did the Musicar Dynaudio tweeter upgrade on the 991.1, which made a huge difference. I took those tweeters out and will be listing it in the classified shortly if anyone is interested.

I've read lots of the 991.1 vs 991.2 threads, until they got ugly. Both are fantastic cars! Any Porsche is a great car , and we're fortunate to own and drive them!

Old 05-04-2018, 09:44 PM
Alexd1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats. This is my first 911 and I’m already wanting a matching suv as I see in your garage.

Im sure the drive home was a blast.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:53 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Wow that is beautiful. Great color and options list. Enjoy it!
Old 05-04-2018, 10:22 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 121 Posts

Congratulations!

Beautiful car, I've seen it in person at Momentum

It is funny that you are the second person from Minnesota that I know has come down to Houston to get a car at Momentum. The previous one came to buy my Macan GTS a couple of months ago and drove it back too.

Agree with you, Rear Axle Steering is indeed incredible.

Cheers!
Old 05-04-2018, 10:44 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 81 Posts

Congrats! GBM is sweeet...
Old 05-04-2018, 11:36 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Congrats and that looks like one very well spec'd S! I picked up a base in the same color (stick) and I'm loving it. I had a 997.2 C4S (PDK) and felt it was time for a change. I see you're also a fan of the Macan!
Old 05-05-2018, 12:35 AM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Congratulations on the new 911. Nicely done! I can't believe the 991.2 has been out for a couple of years now. We love ours so much it still feels like we took delivery last week. Agree that the 991.2 C2s is a great all around car and stealthy fast.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:37 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 590 Posts

Nice car in a great color... Congrats!
Old 05-05-2018, 10:14 AM
go.illini
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Graphite FTW. Congrats!
Old 05-05-2018, 10:39 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Beautiful car! Congrats!!!
Old 05-05-2018, 10:43 AM
VWfamily
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice review. Refreshing perspective. Congrats.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:58 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Very nice, congrats! Hope you had some good BBQ while here. Enjoy your new ride!

PS Kudos to using the word aplomb.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:00 PM
Jsonorous
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the kind words! I am experiencing zero post purchase dissonance, the car is a joy machine. This is my favorite car and Porsche (number 7), ever! I have had so many black, grey and silver cars (which are great colors), but something happened in the last year or two where the candy colors, especially the blues, have become my thing. I know Graphite Blue can be a polarizing color, but I love it. In fact, when I saw it go off the configurator for 2019 models, it motivated me to find a fresh one while I still could. Was seriously close to buying a new GBM base 991.2 in Chicago, but found this CPO car where someone else took the early bath, too good of a deal to pass up.

Norsk, our cars are twinsies, no? I saw your car in the GBM thread and have been looking for it in Mpls ever since. Did you buy from Darin at P of Mpls by chance? He's the coolest and best Porsche guy in town, real dyed in the wool Porsche people. We're lucky, lots of good career salespeople here.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but boy does it help to have your wife into it as well. She was totally behind it, I'm a fortunate fellow : )

Great to see a couple of 911/Macan combos, they go well together and make a happy garage. Had a couple of Cayennes, which were fantastic, but the Macan is another stealth vehicle that drives more like a car than the Cayenne.

Last edited by Jsonorous; 05-06-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:29 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't have a picture of them together, but here is my pair:

I'm spoiled. And I know it.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:57 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsonorous
Thanks for all the kind words! I am experiencing zero post purchase dissonance, the car is a joy machine. This is my favorite car and Porsche (number 7), ever! I have had so many black, grey and silver cars (which are great colors), but something happened in the last year or two where the candy colors, especially the blues, have become my thing. I know Graphite Blue can be a polarizing color, but I love it. In fact, when I saw it go off the configurator for 2019 models, it motivated me to find a fresh one while I still could. Was seriously close to buying a new GBM base 991.2 in Chicago, but found this CPO car where someone else took the early bath, too good of a deal to pass up.

Norsk, our cars are twinsies, no? I saw your car in the GBM thread and have been looking for it in Mpls ever since. Did you buy from Darin at P of Mpls by chance? He's the coolest and best Porsche guy in town, real dyed in the wool Porsche people. We're lucky, lots of good career salespeople here.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but boy does it help to have your wife into it as well. She was totally behind it, I'm a fortunate fellow : )

Great to see a couple of 911/Macan combos, they go well together and make a happy garage. Had a couple of Cayennes, which were fantastic, but the Macan is another stealth vehicle that drives more like a car than the Cayenne.

Yup, twins except for the wheels. Bought mine from the Maplewood store before they split with MB. BTW, the new store on the east side is fabulous compared to the old space, check it out on hwy. 61 if you are over here. Was there today for a car show/open house and they have a '18 GBM Targa on the show floor. Will keep my eyes peeled for you! Enjoy it.

Quick Reply: Out with the old, in with the new...