Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have the XPel “rocker panel kit”?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 12:15 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Does anyone have the XPel “rocker panel kit”?

Here’s a link to which one I’m talking about (first one):

My car has a lot of little rash in those areas. It doesn’t bug me TOO much as it’s hard to notice, especially from the “5 foot rule,” but up close, it’s noticeable how the previous owner racked up little bits.

I don’t think I want wrap in this area (my car has the entire front, mirrors, door edges and behind the rear wheels already wrapped), but it does seem to take care of those areas (lower doors, behind the doors) prone to tiny debris and rock kickup. What I’m wondering, is how high does the protection on the rear fender (behind the door) go? Does it go higher than the OEM fender protection (which is too low as I see several little marks above it). I’m not interested in their larger partial rear fender cover, as the seam would drive me crazy. Though it would protect quite well.

If it bothers me enough, most likely I’ll just get Dr. Colorchip when I feel like it, and paint over the little rash marks I guess. I currently use another touch up paint, but if I want to really go at the marks above the OEM fender wrap, Colorchip seems ideal.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:19 PM
K-A
Drifting

Also, has anyone considered using the 3M clear paint protection SPRAY in those lower, harder to see areas? Seems like it would be a good and affordable solution, if it works well.

https://www.autozone.com/landing/page.jsp?name=3m-paint-defender-spray-film

Old 05-04-2018, 12:32 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Do not use the spray. I've seen horror stories of it being impossible to remove and damaging panels underneath. I thought it had been discontinued.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:00 PM
sjglaser
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Xpel film applied to the rocker panels on my 911T. I've had it for 3 weeks now and I'm amazed the stuff I wipe off the rocker panels as well as signs where the films has taken a hit from gravel and done its job. In addition to front and rear, I had the rocker panels and door handle areas done too. If you are a stickler, I would recommend it. It works....

Regards,

-Steve
Old 05-04-2018, 01:10 PM
USGooner
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I have it and, depending on your locale, highly recommend adding it to your PPF plans. So far the XPEL film has done it's job and worth the add'l cost while not prohibitive. Good luck!

Last edited by USGooner; 05-04-2018 at 01:10 PM. Reason: TYPO
Old 05-04-2018, 01:42 PM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

I did as well did rocker panel including g the rear fender and rocker behind rear wheel. Also did the doors. So about 90% of the car is wrapped. Anywhere stuff can kick up and hit.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:44 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I did the rockers as well and am glad I did.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:52 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I use bra on all my rockers and wheel wells
Old 05-04-2018, 02:14 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon D
I did as well did rocker panel including g the rear fender and rocker behind rear wheel. Also did the doors. So about 90% of the car is wrapped. Anywhere stuff can kick up and hit.
Why not just do the entire car at that point? just curious.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:19 PM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

@K-A, I would recommend to re-do the rocker panel then apply ceremic coating. While CC is not bulletproof but with Xpel + CC it should give you decent amount of protections.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:01 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I had my rocker panels SunTek PPF'ed as well, but also had the installer add a second PPF layer on top of that as extra protection. The cut on the extra rocker panel strip is aligned with the top of the textured area rendering the seam virtually invisible. We also ditched the OEM rock protectors and did a single piece all of the way from the A pillar/lower back to the back wheel well. The PPF isn't as tough as the factory protectors but it also won't yellow like the factory ones do.

He is certain he can remove the extra rocker panel strip if ti gets too beat up without removing the base layer... and then can probably replace it if the underneath layer didn't get too beat up. It's an experiment and hopefully it will work out.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:08 PM
Brian E
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have EXPEL Ultimate on my GTS. It sounds like my coverage is similiar to what Jon D has. In the area you are questioning my installer removed the PPF on the rear quarters that Porsche installs and replaced it with a piece that is darn near as tall as my door handle and wraps into the door jam. My car is SB and it's really hard to see the seam. If I remember correctly EXPEL's template is two pieces for the rocker panels.
The original piece of film that Porsche applies seems to be way to small based on my experience. I also opted to have my doors done. If you look at the areas of your car that have PPF applied just before you wash your car, it's really easy to see how much protection the PPF provides.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:09 PM
K-A
Drifting

Thanks for all the answers.

Can everyone confirm that the XPEL rocker panel/rear fender unit DOES go higher than the OEM (too low) piece, and how much higher it goes (any pics of the seam would be hugely helpful). My OEM pieces are BEAT so they certainly do their job, but just too small coverage. At least, these are such low areas, honestly it’s so hard to tell unless you kneel down. My car being lowered with wheels that offset out more certainly doesn’t help (but still worth it, hehe).

That’s the only area of my car that’s unprotected that bugs me. My rocker panels seem surprisingly durable (the paint is extra thick and orange peel down there, obviously for durability purposes), but the lower half of the doors (normal paint) seem/are susceptible to debris.

Also, anybody do that part alone and know what they charged for installation on just said area?
Old 05-04-2018, 08:18 PM
K-A
Drifting

Funny enough I even bought an $11 mud flap from Amazon, as I saw someone install after the front wheels on a 991 and it looked pretty discreet. Not ideal, but it would pretty much take care of this issue and save a lot of cash. But haven’t gotten myself able to try it since even “testing” it requires drilling into the wheel well inner plastic. Also, not sure how it could affect aero.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:53 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

K-A, there is one thing I'm not clear about. You can get your local XPEL installer to cut a piece pretty much anyway you like it. Are you wanting to use a precut piece and install it yourself? I don't think the cost of a custom installed XPEL rock guard would be all that pricey.

I certainly agree the factory piece is too small... I had too many nicks both in front of and behind of it on my prior C4S and didn't want that to happen again. I don't understand why they make/install it so it stops a quarter inch or so before the bend in the fender lip... leaving a forward-tilted edge still exposed. Here's a photo of my prior car car, which was driven in winter conditions up north. I took this shot after I removed the OEM rock guard to put on a new one. You can clearly see the protected paint vs the chipped paint to the rear of the guard. There was similar pitting in front of it as well. And yes, that is pitting, not dirt.

I ended doing some work with Dr Colorchip too to make this better. Seeing this probably makes it more clear why I went for full PPF on the new car.

And here was the area just above and in front of the rock guard. Argh!

Quick Reply: Does anyone have the XPel “rocker panel kit”?