Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air filters (cabin / engine) when to *really* change?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 06:25 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Air filters (cabin / engine) when to *really* change?

Its service time for me, and I’m debating just doing the full service to get a clean slate. Of course, what sucks about that is the literal “suckage” of about $1,400 out the door, which is what my indie quoted me (that’s the full service, all filters, oil, spark plugs, compression test which is good to get before warranty is up, etc.). It’s steep, but probably well under half to a third of what a dealer would charge for the same thing.

Problem is, according to them, they can’t tell me if the engine filter needs changing until they actually do the labor to look at it. Which means I might as well get it done.

My car is way under the 40K “full service” mileage (20K miles) but it’s a 2012.5, so technically it’s at the right time frame.

Anyone have opinions or what one can expect with a 20K cars air filter condition? Thanks.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:56 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

It's a moot point. Your plugs need to be changed, regardless. So, it's simple to do the engine filters now because the bumper cover is off.

Cabin filters, do yourself. The little one in the frunk is super easy and cheap. Change that one every year. It's the gatekeeper for the expensive one under the glove box. The expensive charcoal cabin filter lasted me easily 4 years.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:12 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 131 Posts

You will get all sorts of advice, so you will have to figure it out on your own end the end. I am a DIY guy and have 50+ years of wrenching. Technically, the A/F should be fine until it has 40,000 miles of air sucked thru it. Same for the other filters relative to their change interval. If you drive in dusty conditions a lot, all bets are off. Oil and filter is different since time needs to be figured in. One year max and you change the filter because it is cheap and you don't run new oil thru an old, dirty filter. Plugs is a toss up. They should also last the life of the mileage interval. You will have folks say that they have to be removed on time so they don't seize. Never had that happen. If you really think you need some internal health test, a leak down and/or bore scope would be best. But if you don't have symptoms, I wouldn't bother. All that said, it is worth some time to give everything a good look/see for any little things you wouldn't normally notice. Those kinds of things get done during a big service. Your biggest problem is you aren't driving it enough!!
Old 05-03-2018, 07:27 PM
2000se
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by eagle1960
You will get all sorts of advice, so you will have to figure it out on your own end the end. I am a DIY guy and have 50+ years of wrenching. Technically, the A/F should be fine until it has 40,000 miles of air sucked thru it. Same for the other filters relative to their change interval. If you drive in dusty conditions a lot, all bets are off. Oil and filter is different since time needs to be figured in. One year max and you change the filter because it is cheap and you don't run new oil thru an old, dirty filter. Plugs is a toss up. They should also last the life of the mileage interval. You will have folks say that they have to be removed on time so they don't seize. Never had that happen. If you really think you need some internal health test, a leak down and/or bore scope would be best. But if you don't have symptoms, I wouldn't bother. All that said, it is worth some time to give everything a good look/see for any little things you wouldn't normally notice. Those kinds of things get done during a big service. Your biggest problem is you aren't driving it enough!!
+1 on all the above. Spark plugs too. They just don’t go bad from a time perspective. As far as seizing..that’s what anit-sieze is for.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:41 PM
ddolbi
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Change oil every 5,000 mi or yearly. I'll replace outside cabin filter every 7,500 mi and inside one every 15,000 mi. For air filter I'll do whenever bumper cover is removed or every 20,000 mi. Spark plug won't seize that easily and will do either 25,000 mi or 6 years with the belt. Yes, I do all the maintenance work myself.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:50 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Geez, DIY. Replacing cabin fillers take less time than a gas station fill up. I replace all cabin filter annually. For the $$, it makes sense to do so.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:39 PM
RoWa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Watch "Air Cabin Filter Change DIY - Porsche 991 911 2012+" on YouTube
Old 05-03-2018, 08:56 PM
K-A
Drifting

Argh. Now I’m not sure. I have a feeling all the stuff will be in pretty good condition. I don’t DIY so am kind of at their mercy. $1,225 for a full service is about the cheapest I’ve found.

Does the bumper have to come off for an oil change (I’m sure it does)? The guy made it sound like a lot of extra work has to be done to look at the engine filter, insinuating that by the time they look at it, they might as well change it.

The plugs I’m iffy on, but leaning towards changing them, to not deal with any potential seizing or whatever.

Anyone ever change their engine filters at around 20K miles and have conditions to report?
Old 05-03-2018, 09:13 PM
ddolbi
Instructor

Originally Posted by K-A
Argh. Now I’m not sure. I have a feeling all the stuff will be in pretty good condition. I don’t DIY so am kind of at their mercy. $1,225 for a full service is about the cheapest I’ve found.

Does the bumper have to come off for an oil change (I’m sure it does)? The guy made it sound like a lot of extra work has to be done to look at the engine filter, insinuating that by the time they look at it, they might as well change it.

The plugs I’m iffy on, but leaning towards changing them, to not deal with any potential seizing or whatever.

Anyone ever change their engine filters at around 20K miles and have conditions to report?
Oil change is very simple on 991. Bumper cover should not off while oil change. You have to remove bumper cover to access air filter though. Change plug if mileage is more than 20,000 mi. For air filter you can go 40,000 safely but I always change at half the mileage of maintenance schedule. You may delay engine air filter and do it with serpentine belt replacement which is 60,000 mi or 6 years. Belt is rubber part and it is time dependent and need to remove bumper cover and air box,
Old 05-03-2018, 09:24 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by ddolbi
Oil change is very simple on 991. Bumper cover should not off while oil change. You have to remove bumper cover to access air filter though. Change plug if mileage is more than 20,000 mi. For air filter you can go 40,000 safely but I always change at half the mileage of maintenance schedule. You may delay engine air filter and do it with serpentine belt replacement which is 60,000 mi or 6 years. Belt is rubber part and it is time dependent and need to remove bumper cover and air box,
Thanks. So using your intervals, I’m at that halfway mileage point to do the filters and plugs. One issue is I don’t know how dusty the conditions were for the previous owner. But one tech I talked to stated that they check the easy access cabin filter which is usually a good barometer for how the engine filter will look.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:43 PM
ddolbi
Instructor

Originally Posted by K-A

Thanks. So using your intervals, I’m at that halfway mileage point to do the filters and plugs. One issue is I don’t know how dusty the conditions were for the previous owner. But one tech I talked to stated that they check the easy access cabin filter which is usually a good barometer for how the engine filter will look.
Your car is 2012 model year that means it's 6 years old already. If I were you I'll do major service plus belt change at the same time. I don't want to my plug and belt to go more than 6 years without servicing regardless of mileage.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:57 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by ddolbi
Your car is 2012 model year that means it's 6 years old already. If I were you I'll do major service plus belt change at the same time. I don't want to my plug and belt to go more than 6 years without servicing regardless of mileage.
Yeah good point. Another issue I’m having is that I don’t know what the guy before me did. I checked the service interval section on the MFD and it says “Oil Change Now.” Then under “Service Interval 1” it shows the date/mileage as 3/2021 or in 37K miles. Then under “Interim Service Interval 2” it shows the due date as 3/2019 or in 17K miles. Can anyone decipher what that means? I.e if it signifies somebody reset the computer after a larger service?
Old 05-03-2018, 10:21 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Not sure I would worry about the plugs or anything else, but I would change the engine air filters and ask that they be saved for you to look at. My Cayman filters were very dirty at 20000 miles, half the recommended interval.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:27 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
Not sure I would worry about the plugs or anything else, but I would change the engine air filters and ask that they be saved for you to look at. My Cayman filters were very dirty at 20000 miles, half the recommended interval.
Interesting! Thanks. Did you pay to have them (air filters) done, or do them yourself? Plugs are an annoying issue as some say they can “seize” in the engine, while on another hand, the mileage is so low for a change.

I’m gonna have to be diligent in letting them know that I want nothing changed that doesn’t need it, and want the old parts saved to verify.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:28 PM
ddolbi
Instructor

Originally Posted by K-A

Yeah good point. Another issue I’m having is that I don’t know what the guy before me did. I checked the service interval section on the MFD and it says “Oil Change Now.” Then under “Service Interval 1” it shows the date/mileage as 3/2021 or in 37K miles. Then under “Interim Service Interval 2” it shows the due date as 3/2019 or in 17K miles. Can anyone decipher what that means? I.e if it signifies somebody reset the computer after a larger service?
Do you have service record for your car? Service interval 3/2021 or 37k mi means your car had major service in 3/2017 and 3,000 miles ago. And that's include interim service that's why you have "interim service interval 2" showing 3/2019 or 17K mi. If major service had been performed you just need to replace the belt. Check your car's service record first.

Quick Reply: Air filters (cabin / engine) when to *really* change?