Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air filters (cabin / engine) when to *really* change?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 10:31 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ddolbi
Do you have service record for your car? Service interval 3/2021 or 37k mi means your car had major service in 3/2017 and 3,000 miles ago. And that's include interim service that's why you have "interim service interval 2" showing 3/2019 or 17K mi. If major service had been performed you just need to replace the belt. Check your car's service record first.
Undortunately I have no idea. I DO know that in 2/2017, the car had an oil change and alignment and new front tires. That’s the only record for the previous owner. He bought it CPO in 2016 and I have no idea what the dealer did. It almost seems like someone reset the intervals accidentally maybe, as I wouldn’t imagine a dealer doing the major service at around 15K miles and in 2016 (when the previous owner bought the car). Then again, 2016 technically WAS 4 years into the car’s warranty period.

On other thought, maybe I should call the dealer who sold and serviced it and see if they can pull up service records.

EDIT: Looks like I could find via Carfax that they did the brake fluid flush in 2015. Interesting.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:21 PM
ddolbi
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

Undortunately I have no idea. I DO know that in 2/2017, the car had an oil change and alignment and new front tires. That’s the only record for the previous owner. He bought it CPO in 2016 and I have no idea what the dealer did. It almost seems like someone reset the intervals accidentally maybe, as I wouldn’t imagine a dealer doing the major service at around 15K miles and in 2016 (when the previous owner bought the car). Then again, 2016 technically WAS 4 years into the car’s warranty period.

On other thought, maybe I should call the dealer who sold and serviced it and see if they can pull up service records.

EDIT: Looks like I could find via Carfax that they did the brake fluid flush in 2015. Interesting.
Yes, you better ask the your SA to verify the record. I think somebody reset the service indicator somehow. 3/2017 is about time to perform major service on your car though. You could be very lucky then.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:36 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by ddolbi
Yes, you better ask the your SA to verify the record. I think somebody reset the service indicator somehow. 3/2017 is about time to perform major service on your car though. You could be very lucky then.
What's interesting is that the brake fluid was done in 2015. Technically when the car was at around 3 years on the road. Maybe they did more, but Carfax just says brake fluid flush. Really would like to know if it has new filters before they'd have to tear the back apart just to check!

Unfortunately it seems there is no "universal database" for dealers. I'd have to call the original dealer in Atlanta and ask them to pull the records. Hopefully they play ball, I'll definitely try tomorrow.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:28 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
It's a moot point. Your plugs need to be changed, regardless. So, it's simple to do the engine filters now because the bumper cover is off.
Bumper cover does NOT need to come off to change the plugs. Just the back tires (technically you could do it with the tires on, but that’s a royal pain in the ***). Air Filters and plugs are same interval though, that's why you usually see it done.

Originally Posted by 2000se

+1 on all the above. Spark plugs too. They just don’t go bad from a time perspective. As far as seizing..that’s what anit-sieze is for.
Do NOT put anti-seize on modern plugs. Modern plugs are manufactured with a special metal shell (trivalent) plating to prevent damage to the cylinder head. For plugs with this special metal plating, anti-seize is not recommended during installation. Applying anti-seize to these plugs will cause the installer to mistakenly over-torque the plug in the cylinder head stretching the metal between the last thread and the seal between the cylinder head and plug. This increases the probability that the spark plug will either break during installation or upon removal.

Last edited by Class5Kayaker; 05-06-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:42 PM
rff15e
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

The dealership I bought it from said "oh yeah, we did that" (when referring to the 4 year / 40k)... but it wasn't documented anywhere. I took off the bumper yesterday and the air filters were absolutely filthy - not the kind of filters that supposedly only have 1,000 miles on them. It was very, very easy to get the back bumper off. I have a 2012.5 991 C2S and the air filter change took about an hour. I put BMC filters in there, so the total price was about $165. I'll swap the plugs soon to keep on interval. Did an oil change a couple weeks ago as well, since I wasn't 100% sure if the dealership actually did anything - super easy to reset the clock.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:55 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by rff15e
The dealership I bought it from said "oh yeah, we did that" (when referring to the 4 year / 40k)... but it wasn't documented anywhere. I took off the bumper yesterday and the air filters were absolutely filthy - not the kind of filters that supposedly only have 1,000 miles on them. It was very, very easy to get the back bumper off. I have a 2012.5 991 C2S and the air filter change took about an hour. I put BMC filters in there, so the total price was about $165. I'll swap the plugs soon to keep on interval. Did an oil change a couple weeks ago as well, since I wasn't 100% sure if the dealership actually did anything - super easy to reset the clock.
Wow. Interesting that they were so dirty. How many miles do you have?
Old 05-07-2018, 07:07 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Be a good idea to flush the brake fluid too.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:05 AM
rff15e
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

Wow. Interesting that they were so dirty. How many miles do you have?
About 28,000
Old 05-07-2018, 10:04 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
Be a good idea to flush the brake fluid too.
Yeah I was thinking that. I’ll have them check to see how it looks. The car had brake fluids flushed in 2015 (when they replaced brake pads), about 6K miles ago. Should it be too new to change?
Old 05-07-2018, 10:09 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Should it be too new to change?
Brake fluid is every two years. So, it's overdue, since it was due in 2017. This is all in your maintenance book.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:11 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

Yeah I was thinking that. I’ll have them check to see how it looks. The car had brake fluids flushed in 2015 (when they replaced brake pads), about 6K miles ago. Should it be too new to change?
Brake fluid should be flushed and changed every 2 years regardless of mileage. The older it is, the more susceptible to moisture.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:35 AM
K-A
Drifting

Argh. Thanks. Was hoping I’d catch a break there.

After plugs, filters, brake fluid, what’s the next “big thing” that needs to be done? Trans fluid got replaced with my new PDK.

Not the cheapest cars to keep on the road, but I guess also certainly not the most expensive, at least if you go to an indie. You DIY guys are saving tons by utilizing your capabilities.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:45 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Argh. Thanks. Was hoping I’d catch a break there.

After plugs, filters, brake fluid, what’s the next “big thing” that needs to be done? Trans fluid got replaced with my new PDK.

Not the cheapest cars to keep on the road, but I guess also certainly not the most expensive, at least if you go to an indie. You DIY guys are saving tons by utilizing your capabilities.
You could buy one of these and measure the moisture content of your fluid, then decide if you want to change it

https://www.amazon.com/EFORCAR-Detection-Liquid-Moisture-Calibrated/dp/B017YJ7NSG/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1525700611&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=brake+fluid+moisture+tester&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/EFORCAR-Detection-Liquid-Moisture-Calibrated/dp/B017YJ7NSG/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1525700611&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=brake+fluid+moisture+tester&psc=1
Old 05-08-2018, 11:20 PM
K-A
Drifting

Well, did the full service. Plugs looked okay (pretty black at the top, he said normal for 20K miles), engine air filters were pretty dirty, cabin filters were moderately dirty, compression test was perfect, everything else checked out perfectly. An $1,800 brake/rotor job is probably the next big service, but hopefully not for a while. I envy those if you who can DIY all that. Cost me $1,272 for this service. Expensive, but at the same time, a dealer would probably be double that.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:29 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Heh. Even I was able to learn how to do brake work. New rotors and pads three times a year (twice front, once rear). Takes about two hours each time (sipping a beer slows the process some). Of course a lot of your cost is in the parts..

Quick Reply: Air filters (cabin / engine) when to *really* change?