Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   rented a 2013 991.1 C2 impressions (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1066710-rented-a-2013-991-1-c2-impressions.html)

kage65 05-02-2018 05:41 PM

rented a 2013 991.1 C2 impressions

While ive test driven the 991.2 C2, that was a very quick drive with the salesman in the car. Did not really get any sort of feel for the car. So I rented one for the day, albeit a 991.1 This is my first time with a lot of time with one of these cars, after having read about them for quite awhile. Here are some of my thoughts and impressions:

Road noise: I've known these cars have road noise and was expecting it to be pretty bad. All in all I have to say, its not nearly as bad as I was expecting. Yes its there, but i'm also coming from an 05 Corolla. Honestly the 991 may actually have less road noise than that car. I'm not sure I would take a long road trip in this car, but so far the road noise really has not bothered me as much as I thought it would.

Power: I do wish there was more power straight off the line. Its just as I've always read - once you get a bit higher into the RPM's is when the car really starts to take off, but the initial stomp on the pedal does not feel all that fast, at least compared to some other cars ive test driven like the S6.

Other thoughts:
I feel just a tiny bit frustrated driving this car around town. Reason being, to really drive this car like its meant to be driven, I have to be at constant risk of getting a serious speeding ticket, or possibly even being put into handcuffs. I guess this is why people take it to a track. All the time i'm enjoying this car, i'm also constantly scanning for you know who. I've only gotten one ticket in my life and Id like to keep it that way.

Back:
I have sciatica and my back was hurting quiet a bit. But that also could be from being in a car for around 4 hours. Kicking myself for not grabbing my lumbar cushion from my car before I got this one, though not sure it would make a difference.

Few questions
I noticed a really neat feature where there is a place on the dash that tells me the speed limit. However it seems to come and go. Sometimes it is replaced by how many miles of gas I have left. Is there a way to keep it on the speed limit?

The seat has lumbar, bottom can go forward and back as well as the back rest, and also the thigh support can come out. The owner does not know which seats he has. Is this the 14 way or the basic sports seats?

That's all I have for now. One thing is for sure... I don't want to give this car back tomorrow!

.2PDK 05-02-2018 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by kage65 (Post 14983206)

Power: I do wish there was more power straight off the line. Its just as I've always read - once you get a bit higher into the RPM's is when the car really starts to take off, but the initial stomp on the pedal does not feel all that fast, at least compared to some other cars ive test driven like the S6.

The 991.2 will take care of this issue for you.

I have a 991.1 C2 and found it to be quite unimpressive off the start at first but have adjusted my driving style.

I love the car to death and will be looking at a 992 to see if it suits me more or not.

bkrantz 05-02-2018 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by tse (Post 14983229)

I have a 991.1 C2 and found it to be quite unimpressive off the start at first but have adjusted my driving style.

I love the car to death and will be looking at a 992 to see if it suits me more or not.

Yup

PJ Cayenne 05-03-2018 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by tse (Post 14983229)

What tse said.

saeyedoc 05-03-2018 11:49 AM

I'm not sure how it gets the speed limit, but the database it uses isn't always accurate and sometimes is missing. When there's no data, it shows miles to empty. There are some roads where the speed limit changed in the last few years and it still shows the old one. Maybe it's based off the nav data, which is old.

drcollie 05-03-2018 04:54 PM

A Porsche has traditionally been a car tuned to run in the upper rpm range, at 3,800 rpm it starts coming on and stay until redline. Its very docile under 3,800 rpm and feels like a VW. When you hit the rev range though, things happen in a hurry. The 991.2 with the turbos was done primarily for fuel efficiency standards but also allows them to change the behavior of the car and give the buyer torque down low. People say they want horsepower, but what they buy is torque. So the .2 will be more rewarding to drive coming off stoplights and the like - but it loses that rpm scream of the revving naturally aspirated engines.

Valvefloat991 05-03-2018 05:20 PM

Power: I do wish there was more power straight off the line. Its just as I've always read - once you get a bit higher into the RPM's is when the car really starts to take off, but the initial stomp on the pedal does not feel all that fast, at least compared to some other cars ive test driven like the S

Raise the revs to 6000 and sidestep the clutch. It will leave with considerable alactrity.

kage65 05-03-2018 05:52 PM

The plus to the 991.1 to me is the looks. The engine vents, running lights and front bumper look far better to me on the .1 They seem more elegant and flow better, where as on the .2 it has a more "cost savings" look to it. Subjective of course.
And of course the sound the .1 makes when are you able to get into those high revs and higher gears is amazing. The problem that I found with that is there were few opportunities to do it. In prob an hour of driving yesterday i was able to do that once, when I entered the on ramp to the highway.

Porsche Jeff 05-03-2018 09:40 PM

"but i'm also coming from an 05 Corolla. "

Wow, I would think the 991 would be a bit of an upgrade!

HD2pct 05-03-2018 09:49 PM

That's all I have for now. One thing is for sure... I don't want to give this car back tomorrow!

Good post. Just want to point out (as you go home and start working on the wife):

Not sure why it is relevant what the "speed limit" is. You might have noticed that Kias, 1990s-era Ford Tauruses, 2003 Camrys (beige color), etc were not meticulously adhering to "speed limits". Besides the obvious, as another poster mentioned, that database is not going to be up to date for your location much of the time.

Road noise is going to be greater in a proper sports car like pretty much any 911. Of course tires and the road surface on which you tried it played a role.

The 991 is a stiff ride. But it is a sports car with fairly uncompromising manners. The seats are great, but the up-the-spine sensations will be consistent.

As for getting a speeding ticket, the problem isn't the cops. At least in a somewhat populated area, it is "Todd" in the Mustang or Japanese tuner next to you whose entire existence revolves around you as soon as they see you. It will cause you to constantly drive conservatively and only push it in spots where you don't have to deal with that. That means most of the time you will be driving normally so you can enjoy life without dealing with the riffraff.

kage65 05-03-2018 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Porsche Jeff (Post 14986168)
"but i'm also coming from an 05 Corolla. "

Wow, I would think the 991 would be a bit of an upgrade!

Indeed!

K-A 05-03-2018 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by kage65 (Post 14985720)
The plus to the 991.1 to me is the looks. The engine vents, running lights and front bumper look far better to me on the .1 They seem more elegant and flow better, where as on the .2 it has a more "cost savings" look to it. Subjective of course.
And of course the sound the .1 makes when are you able to get into those high revs and higher gears is amazing. The problem that I found with that is there were few opportunities to do it. In prob an hour of driving yesterday i was able to do that once, when I entered the on ramp to the highway.

I know what you mean, but the feeling and sound are totally worth it when you are able to. I live near lots of windy roads that I can have fun with, which are perfectly suited to bring out the 991.1's emotivity/sound/engagement ability. But even in city driving, once you really learn your powerband, even a quick run up to hear that scream imo makes what should be a mundane drive, totally worth it. But try and dedicate at least one day a week to taking it to a good or decent road, at a time when less people are on the road, purely for sport. That's where the car truly shines.

Also agreed on the looks. It's so smooth and clean, perfectly harmonized with nothing fussy, imo. I also just have to take some time to stare at and appreciate it every time I drive it. :D

drcollie 05-04-2018 02:33 PM

As for getting a speeding ticket, the problem isn't the cops. At least in a somewhat populated area, it is "Todd" in the Mustang or Japanese tuner next to you whose entire existence revolves around you as soon as they see you. It will cause you to constantly drive conservatively and only push it in spots where you don't have to deal with that. That means most of the time you will be driving normally so you can enjoy life without dealing with the riffraff.

This is why you buy a Tesla Model X for your SUV. It destroys the Mustang or Japanese tuner car at every stoplight - all without making a sound. When you want to hoon it - no better vehicle out there because it doesn't even look fast....lol. It's really big fun to do that, I have to admit.

Syringe 05-04-2018 03:34 PM

As a 991.1 C2 7MT owner, I agree a bit with the lack of low end power. An IPD plenum and AWE exhaust put some more area under the power curve, but the car just needs revs, and that is sure fun. If I were on the track more than I am, I might think about stiffening the suspension. But, the other strong point of the car that I think deserves mention are the stock brakes. Really excellent power and feel. Although I am on my second set of rotors, but still...maybe the best brakes on a car that I have tried. I can only imagine how strong the carbon ceramic units are.

Jsonorous 05-04-2018 06:12 PM

Just sold my .1 base and got a .2 S. Completely agree low end torque is light on the 3.4 engine, especially with PDK. But wind that engine up past 4K and it goes and it sings!