Sponsored by:

New car itch

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 11:28 AM
kennypowers
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Why anyone comes on here and lays out their financial picture is beyond me. If you are smart enough to have all that you are smart enough to know you can afford the car or not. Sorry to flame but posting that info and asking random strangers for advice is just silly.
this, sorry op. It comes off as a bit insecure-ish

congrats on the success though
Old 05-02-2018, 11:32 AM
go.illini
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

There's a cream for that.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:38 AM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

You can easily get a loan for under 4% these days with tier 1 credit (which I am sure you have) So yes it make sense to finance it with the still relative low interest rate, i mean even bond rates are 2% these days and you can easily get more than that in rent return in some area.

For people that are conservative, they ALWAYS feel dropping a large sum of money on a car is a "splurging" or maybe even wasteful.......no matter how establish you are.....(unless you have 8 figure of available cash sitting in a bank account...but if that's the case....i am sure OP wont be asking LOL and he will not be asking about a used Turbo S) IMHO, if you can afford it....do it....YOLO!!
Old 05-02-2018, 11:40 AM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Buy the car. Yes, it does sound strange for someone to write about how well they are saving financially then ask a financial question about buying a car. Also, if your income is that good then whether you pay cash or get a loan and invest probably does not make much difference to your overall financial picture. My wife and I decided to lease our 991.2 C2s simply because we did not want to be tied to a pricey car if we decided we did not want it. So far with 1 year to go on a 3 year lease we plan to keep the car and pay cash for the balance at lease end. Not the cheapest way to get into a 911, but worked for us as the extra we paid to lease also gave us freedom of choice. Interestingly, I am happy with our C2s. The extra cost of the big turbo just does not seem worth it to me as the C2s has very good performance. Seems like all the manufacturers are coming out with the super high horsepower cars these days and to what end. Our car has a top speed of around 190 which I will never get close to. Of course the turbo has great acceleration and awesome grip......OK get the turbo
Old 05-02-2018, 11:45 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Has the 0P return yet? Or is this a drive-by?

Any children?

How much do you owe on your house? Pay off your house. Save up a few months. And pay cash for your Porsche. Live that free.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:34 PM
Rayd8tr
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kennypowers

this, sorry op. It comes off as a bit insecure-ish

congrats on the success though
Insecure. There's probably some truth in that. I grew up very poor and know what it feels like to go hungry and struggle to make ends meet. The odd things is that the more financially secure my wife and I become the more we feel good being generous toward others. We're not religious but we do enjoy giving in any way we can. I guess I'll have to convince myself that buying a 100k+ car for myself instead of giving it away to charity is ok.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:40 PM
LexVan
Banned

You need to edit your title, since you have a Used Car Itch. And move your post to the proper 991 Turbo Forum.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:56 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Rayd8tr
I’m fortunate at this time to have a high six and sometimes low seven figure annual income. My wife and I max out our 401ks, backdoor Roth IRAs, HSAs, and 529. We also pay 1.5-2x our monthly mortgage and aggressively contribute into a taxable account consisting of very low ER index funds and tax exempt municipal bonds. All told we save and invest about 30-40% of our net income and live below our means.

I have been wanting a 911 Turbo s cab for awhile now and thinking about a CPO 16 with low miles.

I have enough in the taxable account to comfortably splurge and pay cash. Does it make better sense to find a low interest loan and keep investing instead.

I’ve been an aggressive saver all my life. At the same time I love cars and have essentially never gave into getting a Porsche or other expensive sports car. I always talk myself out of it and think to myself about how much of a waste of money it is.

How do you guys and gals give in and pull the trigger and justify spending your hard earned money on a depreciating piece of metal.

You obviously know whether you can or can't afford it. You don't need to share your portfolio or financial statement with strangers who have already taken the leap.
Your last statement though says much "How do you guys and gals give in and pull the trigger and justify spending your hard earned money on a depreciating piece of metal." If it has that much personal value to you then don't bother. If it just a box to check because you think you have to it isn't love. This decision should be driven by a deep desire for the 911 or it will always seem too expensive for a hunk of metal.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:09 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Insecure. There's probably some truth in that. I grew up very poor and know what it feels like to go hungry and struggle to make ends meet. The odd things is that the more financially secure my wife and I become the more we feel good being generous toward others. We're not religious but we do enjoy giving in any way we can. I guess I'll have to convince myself that buying a 100k+ car for myself instead of giving it away to charity is ok.
There was a whole thread on that maybe 6 months ago. I don't see any conflict. You can give generously to charity and have a nice car too. My wife and I really enjoy doing trips in our 911 so it has been a big plus for us to have some fun together. She has never driven the car but loves it.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:22 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by dflowerz
There was a whole thread on that maybe 6 months ago.
This one:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1020...-on-a-car.html

And a good read for the OP.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:41 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Rayd8tr - you are obviously an stock market investor from your board handle, and that's probably not only your job, but your hobby as well. I have a lot of friends like yourself who are financially well-off and yet can't spend money on something as frivolous as an expensive car - because their mind set is "I can use that money for making more investments". Nothing wrong with that at all - I suspect that's your outlook. Car - boat - airplane - vakay home - all the same, they reduce the capital you have for making more investments and hence, more money which in turn lends itself to more security in your life.

Buying a Porsche - or any high end car - is generally a lousy investment of your funds, unless you play in the rarified air of collector cars - and then you can't really drive those.

You cannot make logic of the decision to get one, because its a passion. Simple as that. Consider it part of your entertainment fund, not part of your investment portfolio. If you can't do that, and see that, don't waste your money - you won't enjoy it.

My suggestion is to rent one, or get a Porsche dealer to give you a 24 take-home test drive on one. See if you still want one after a day in it. Only you know if it moves you.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:48 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Why anyone comes on here and lays out their financial picture is beyond me. If you are smart enough to have all that you are smart enough to know you can afford the car or not. Sorry to flame but posting that info and asking random strangers for advice is just silly.
+911E20
Old 05-02-2018, 04:48 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Damn! You're super-rich by my standards and seem to have all your ducks in a row.

Just buy the car.

You can't take it with you!
Old 05-02-2018, 04:54 PM
Gasol1
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was faced with a similar thought process as you, my 991.2 was my first six figure car and is not "practical" so no justifications can be made in your mind other than its for you. I have owned many nice cars before, but something about that $100K threshold was a big thing for me.

As people have stated, its for fun and its an emotional decision. There are many ways you can try to justify it, but I suggest you not try to. You will always have the itch, the lingering question if you don't do it. Lets say you buy a more "responsible car", whats that going to be a $30-40K difference? Then you factor in the spread on a loan vs paying cash? Whats the spread worth? Sure, you can spreadsheet this into the ground. If you pay cash you don't have to think about the financial piece every month when the payment goes out the door. Just enjoy it. You sell it when it no longer brings a smile to your face. And in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't sounds like a $10-$20k transaction cost matters much to your situation. Realistically thats the 4 year difference between buying this car you are thinking about and whatever else you would buy to replace it all told.

My 2 cents. . .of course I'm just typing this to make myself feel better about my own decision ;p
Old 05-02-2018, 05:23 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

This isn't a car you "need" its a car you "want". Starting with that and knowing any car in this category is really about you is a good start. That is how I have always looked at all my Porsche purchases. If you feel you have done all of the important things "for you, family, etc.." that make your life livable and would like to do something for yourself and a car fits that want then move to the next step.

Why a 911? No real answer as they are not for everyone and a lot of people can own them and walk away on the next purchase. Drive several, if its the right car it will speak to you. You may own only 1 or 13 like I have owned over the years but it should start with a drive and walking away feeling that you want more.

Its expensive, so if you will punish yourself for spending the loot, don't do it. But if you feel its the right time then at least give it a test drive or 2 or 3.

Quick Reply: New car itch