Sponsored by:

I am a PPF (Clear Bra) Believer now...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 01:40 PM
Extreme Autowerks
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello everyone!

We're brand new to and officially part the Rennlist community and would love the opportunity to assist with any technical questions about paint protection film, window tint, paint correction, ceramic coatings, and BlackVue cameras! We've been in the industry since 2011 and we've reached the realm of clients that are ONLY looking for the best products for their vehicle! We have tons of experience and information that we'd be more than happy to share with the rest of you! Cheers!
Old 08-07-2018, 01:44 PM
Extreme Autowerks
Former Vendor

Wow! It looks like they took a lot of care with install! It's hard finding a quality installer that looks at the finite details! Congrats!
Old 08-07-2018, 01:46 PM
Extreme Autowerks
Former Vendor

Angry

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I don't know who owner of this car is, but I hope he/she did not accept this butchery. Ugh!
Ouch. That is NOT okay...... Unfortunately you actually see more of these hack jobs than you would like to think... ALWAYS check a shop's work in person before you let them work on your vehicle. Holy ssshhhh....
Old 08-07-2018, 02:51 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Update on my ClearPlex. I decided to remove it today and either look for a reasonable installer to replace it, or gamble on replacing the windshield of it gets cracked / chipped badly.

Pics showing the age of my Clearplex.. What you can't see is the numerous nicks which cause horrible rain wiper function and noise.

1/4 of passengers side done

All of it completely off. I took the car out of the heat / sun for a while and it came off easier without the glue / adhesive staying on.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:59 PM
Extreme Autowerks
Former Vendor

ABSOLUTELY one of the least exciting activities in the world? Removing windshield protection film.... Not to mention the smell... If the price is right, it's worth replacing every year, but most of our clients used to use it strictly for a few track days because every day usage turns UGLY fast! I commend you for your hard work
Old 08-07-2018, 03:07 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
Heck no... make sure YOU find a quality installer. Its a like dealer... they out source it to a cheap hack and the install will be poor.
Not sure where you get your information but how could you possibly know that they all do that?? Its a convenience that the dealer offers and they add a percentage. In my case they bring in a guy that has a local shop. Does excellent work.

Last edited by 911boy; 08-07-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:19 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Yes kind of a wreckless statement like...

Originally Posted by minthral
Unless you don't drive much, garage it, and have a good wash routine, there is no way the film will last and look decent after 3-4 years. Keeping it on longer than that is a bad idea too...w
Old 08-07-2018, 03:57 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by Extreme Autowerks
ABSOLUTELY one of the least exciting activities in the world? Removing windshield protection film.... Not to mention the smell... If the price is right, it's worth replacing every year, but most of our clients used to use it strictly for a few track days because every day usage turns UGLY fast! I commend you for your hard work

Thank you!! I think I got fairly lucky on this job though. Maybe the sun did me a favor while I was washing it.
The passengers side was the only one that left adhesive but my razor and "goof off" was able to take care of it fairly easily.

I would replace it if I could get it done for $200-350. Not sure $500 would be worth it.
I don't daily this car. Solely a wknd. day drive or fun trip car. 3000-5000 miles / yr. max. If that.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:00 PM
JPJRJR70
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
BTW, the competence of the installer is PARAMOUNT!

NOT my car, but here is an example of cutting corners. Instead of removing the badging, they cut out holes in the PPF around the letters and numbers...

Awesome Work!!! Must have been done by someone in the NJ/NY area!!! Lol!! I so see this on beautiful cars!! In my opinion? They should cut off the installers nuts with the same knife that did this work!! Lol!!
Old 08-09-2018, 09:10 PM
Chris - 97C2
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Please stop me reliving that picture over and over... ugh...
Old 08-09-2018, 09:11 PM
JPJRJR70
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris - 97C2
Please stop me reliving that picture over and over... ugh...
gotta love it!!
Old 08-09-2018, 10:19 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 276 Posts

OP - car looks amazing!

I have half hood Xpel protection on my CPO car, now 4.5 years new. It has kept the stone chips down for sure, but I don't do a lot of highway driving around the Bay,

Car mostly looks great, except for the hood line and another issue:.

PO had the lower spoiler PPFed. As anyone with SPASM/Sport design knows, it's gonna scrape. Well what would have been a little scrape looks far worse now that the PPF is involved. So that repair job just got more $/complex.

Now, add in that the dealer I bought the car from drilled the front plate with 6 holes (!) - same deal - PPF looks terrible with holes. So to repaint the bumper now you have to R&R the Xpel (if you want it back).. PITA. Add in that Porsche wants $4K for a new bumper cover, and it makes me content to live with the imperfections made harder to fix by PPF
Old 10-03-2018, 12:35 PM
JYT
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alex_c
Hi all,

While waiting for my Carrera T to arrive, I was pondering....

Detail around the front marker:

Corner of the hood:

Edge of headlight:

Mirror housing:

Front bumper:
Alex, your T looks fantastic. In my search of the right combo to wrap and the right installer for my incoming T, your post is very helpful. That said a few questions (some of which be a repeat, my apologies):
- Did your installer disassemble any part of your car to wrap edges etc? If so what parts?
- Did you wrap the headlights? (One of the installers I’m talking to mentioned “Headlights on Porsche’s 2012 and newer are the only headlights that should not have ppf installed. When you receive your vehicle, you’ll notice there’s a very sharp edge surrounding the headlights. At the edge is where the UV protection ends as well. The chances of delamination are astronomical, I would strongly suggest no having them wrapped”)

Lastly do you mind sharing/sending me the cost? Thanks!

​​​​​​​jon
Old 10-03-2018, 03:43 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 548 Likes on 253 Posts

100% believer of PPF... Here's my installer going at it. The guy couldn't let go of a tiny bubble, LOL.

If you need someone around the Baltimore-York PA area please let me know. My guy knows his stuff.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:27 AM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by jkyrennist

Alex, your T looks fantastic. In my search of the right combo to wrap and the right installer for my incoming T, your post is very helpful. That said a few questions (some of which be a repeat, my apologies):
- Did your installer disassemble any part of your car to wrap edges etc? If so what parts?
- Did you wrap the headlights? (One of the installers I’m talking to mentioned “Headlights on Porsche’s 2012 and newer are the only headlights that should not have ppf installed. When you receive your vehicle, you’ll notice there’s a very sharp edge surrounding the headlights. At the edge is where the UV protection ends as well. The chances of delamination are astronomical, I would strongly suggest no having them wrapped”)

Lastly do you mind sharing/sending me the cost? Thanks!

jon
Hi Jon, thank you for your comments!

Here are some answers:

1. I specifically asked the installer NOT to disassemble/remove ANY parts whatsoever, and he did not.
2. I also requested NOT to wrap the headlights, and he indicated that they never do on the 991 due to the delamination issue.
3. The total cost of the full front PPF was just under $2K.
​​​​​​​

Quick Reply: I am a PPF (Clear Bra) Believer now...