Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am a PPF (Clear Bra) Believer now...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 12:59 PM
TXC2
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

I just had new film installed on the front of my white c2–full front and mirrors. I think I know the answer before I ask, but here it goes. I have about a dozen “air bubbles” on the hood and front bumper. Some are fairly small, about the size of a ball point pen point, and there are two larger spots about the size of a dime. I’m taking the car back to have the installer look at it, but I assume this is not usual to the installation. Also, can this be fixed or will it require a reinstall?
Old 05-25-2018, 01:01 PM
TXC2
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TXC2
I just had new film installed on the front of my white c2–full front and mirrors. I think I know the answer before I ask, but here it goes. I have about a dozen “air bubbles” on the hood and front bumper. Some are fairly small, about the size of a ball point pen point, and there are two larger spots about the size of a dime. I’m taking the car back to have the installer look at it, but I assume this is not usual to the installation. Also, can this be fixed or will it require a reinstall?
Old 05-25-2018, 03:28 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

It looks like they are probably water bubbles. It is likely they will subside and disappear as the water evaporates out from under the film. (It's hard to believe the water will evaporate but amazingly it does). Put the car out in direct sun and it will happen much faster. If they are air bubbles then you have a problem. If they don't disappear after drying out a couple of days then that I'm virtually certain would be a rewrap.

I didn't notice any such water bubbles on my PPF, but I did see a few on the window tint just installed on my truck and they disappeared in a couple of days with no ill effect. I also had a couple of similar water bubbles on my 997's rock guard when I changed them myself and those disappeared too. It can be tough to "walk" them all out.

I'd just ask your installer. I have no doubt they'll take care of it one way or another.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:49 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

That is your installer doing a poor job. Liquid is applied and squeezed out as my installer's guys show -

Old 05-25-2018, 08:41 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 330 Posts

Protection proof. This is a closeup of the nose of my Targa. The PPF peeled, but the paint is unscratched. I may have to replace this portion of the bra, but that certainly is a lot better than having to paint the hood...

Old 05-25-2018, 09:21 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Finally got over the the PPF shop and got the PPF replaced on my mirror from the damage noted a couple of posts ago. Sure enough the paint underneath was still pristine! A shout-out to René at SunBusters in Austin for fixing it up for me.

Also FYI, René says that the Alfa Romeo headlights have the same UV coating and the same trouble with delamination. So if you are fortunate enough to have a Guilia or Stevlio as a four-door alternative be aware of the risk in case you get PPF for that too.
More like unfortunate enough to have a Giulia/Stelvio. Great driving cars, but reliability is an issue.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:36 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Subscribed.

Any Atlanta area recommendations, let me know plz.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:14 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 416 Posts

In all of the PPF discussions, the one thing no one has addressed is the cost of a respray, or repaint of hood/quarters. I've been quoted $4750 for a full PPF on my 911. Don't know the cost to remove the PPF, that would be good to know. Anyone with some knowledge on the cost of a respray down the road to get the car back to show room quality? If it would need it.

Cheers!
Old 08-02-2018, 10:20 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

You have to not only consider the cost of the respray, but the impact to resale when people discover that the car has been resprayed. Any dealer or PPI shop will likely do a paint-meter test on these (on top of looking for the other indicators of a respray). The resale ding is probably more than the cost of the respray itself, or it at least makes the car a lot harder to sell. This crowd is pretty persnickety when it comes to resprays.

Also FYI: your PPF quote is in line with what mine cost.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:27 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 416 Posts

Hummm...that is an excellent point.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:38 PM
kage65
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by phefner
In all of the PPF discussions, the one thing no one has addressed is the cost of a respray, or repaint of hood/quarters. I've been quoted $4750 for a full PPF on my 911. Don't know the cost to remove the PPF, that would be good to know. Anyone with some knowledge on the cost of a respray down the road to get the car back to show room quality? If it would need it.

Cheers!
This is a good point. The potential problem with respray is that the new paint may be close, but it will never be an exact match. The respray device will never put down paint the same way the original paint machines do, not to mention the paint formula may not be an exact match to the original paint formula used at the factory. This is what I've heard from others - I don't have personal experience with having a panel resprayed.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:56 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

My PPF plus ceramic coating has the car at and remaining at showroom quality. I do see why I would ever take it off.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:09 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

A high quality respray for a 991 (head to toe, including all R&R by a PCCC) is north of $25K (An acquaintance of mine is changing colors (currently lime gold metallic) on a 2012.5. Partial panel will obviously be cheaper. Just as a datapoint.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:49 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

Hard to believe Porsche has not added factory installed PPF to their options list. They are leaving a lot of $$ on the table.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:22 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 707 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by JW911
Hard to believe Porsche has not added factory installed PPF to their options list. They are leaving a lot of $$ on the table.
actually, they’re very smart and know better.

its not a simple task and trying to execute a craft that takes hours, sometimes days, is better left to after market. Opportunity cost...in the amount it takes to clear bra, can Porsche be that far ahead on a build and generate more revenue per hour or per task.

Quick Reply: I am a PPF (Clear Bra) Believer now...